Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 30th January 2017, 00:09   #26
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveP View Post
I don't know about the Zeiss but if you can get at the hinge screws then it's just a matter of tightening them up with a screwdriver which is worth learning to do as then you can do it again if ever needed without having to send them off etc.

Ask Zeiss how it's done. I don't see why they shouldn't tell you as it saves them the bother of doing it although if you somehow manage to wreck the bin in trying to tighten a screw I don't imagine they will cover that but you'd really need to be bad in that scenario.

Sometimes the front plastic cover just clips off or there may be little stickers over the top of the hinge screw access. I did it with my Pentax 8x20 ED and it's not much bother.
I had to return my first pair for exchange due to a floppy hinge.
The next one is due this week, so I am hoping for a better result.

My first impressions are very good on the 8x25 Terra.

I carefully looked to see if you can tighten these yourself, and that
is a no go, so for those watching.

This is the only downer I've found in this model.

Jerry
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 02:02   #27
gunut
Registered Offender

Jerry;
Did you order yours from REI........did yours come in an opened box...???

Last edited by gunut : Monday 30th January 2017 at 02:05.
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 02:21   #28
NDhunter

No, it was from another retailer.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 15:20   #29
NDhunter

Here is an update, I received the replacement for the one I sent back.

This one has hinges that are just right, and I am back to enjoying the nice
view and handling they offer.

If anyone is looking at a high quality 8x25 pocket binocular, make sure you try
this one before you buy.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 15:46   #30
gunut
Registered Offender

glad that your back in business....
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 16:08   #31
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post

this one before you buy.

Jerry
Great news Jerry.

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 23:35   #32
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:

this one before you buy.

Jerry
Enjoy! I thought these would languish at my desk as a 'feeder bin' but I find myself using it more and more....the view is marvelous for a ''cheap'' compact.
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 16:24   #33
NDhunter

I had a PM from a member on here asking about the Terra, and how it would be for
use as a primary birding binocular.

My opinion is that it is still a pocket size compact, and that means it does not offer the
viewing comfort of a little larger binocular, such as the many 8x30 choices out there.

Here is a picture, of how it compares in size to the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and Swaro. CL
8x30.

For a day in the field the 8x30's would be much more comfortable.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1132.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	613951  
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 16:58   #34
gunut
Registered Offender

Agree....

The 8x25 fits nicely into a jacket pocket and will give you a nice view if you happen to need it...best when out walking the dog, fly fishing, jogging, or just on a long walk...times you don't want a binocular hanging around your neck...but if you plan on doing some actual serious glassing the 8x30 or larger is the better option....

Last edited by gunut : Thursday 2nd February 2017 at 17:04.
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 17:09   #35
Bloodstriker

I compared the Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion and the 10x25 CL Pocket before deciding on the pocket. James is right. The 10x30 has a much, much better view and feels like a larger bino. It is infinitely more comfortable to use. The size, when open, is just slightly bigger than the pocket. However, the pocket is significantly smaller when closed due to the double hinged design. This is what ultimately won me over, as I have full and mid sized bins already.

I wonder if swarovski will ever come out with a 10x30 double hinge?
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 17:14   #36
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstriker View Post

I wonder if swarovski will ever come out with a 10x30 double hinge?
I doubt it but even if they do, when it dries out after all the rain you get in Vancouver it will have shrunk back down to a 25mm.

Lee
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 17:43   #37
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
I had a PM from a member on here asking about the Terra, and how it would be for
use as a primary birding binocular.

My opinion is that it is still a pocket size compact, and that means it does not offer the
viewing comfort of a little larger binocular, such as the many 8x30 choices out there.

Here is a picture, of how it compares in size to the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and Swaro. CL
8x30.

For a day in the field the 8x30's would be much more comfortable.

Jerry

Agreed. The 8x25 proved very useful on a recent trip, when birding wasn't the priority. I wore it bandoleer-style, out of the way, and was able to snatch views of birds that happened along even though we were not really birding. So small and lightweight you just never really notice it. Great for my wife too, as she complains about bins around her neck after a few hours, leading to me carrying two pairs on occasion! With the 8x25, no complaints.
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 15:22   #38
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Thanks for your great review of the Terra pockets, James! Very interesting perspective and performance at a great price. I had similar findings with my CL-P 8x25's (but @ 2.5X the price...used) . You stated the Terra eye cups fit your eyes well (w or w\o glasses?), something I had an issue with in the pocket swaros (no glasses). I needed another 2-3mm of eye relief to get a full FOV...achieved this by resting the fully extended eye cups on my index fingers on my brow. However, I ultimately moved them on to get my first EL SV!

Ted
Been living with the little TERRA (no, not the grand kids) for the past week.

IMO, these have at least 95% of the optical and ergonomic performance of the pocket CL's I owned and at 69% less (OP had a special short-term sale), their value and function will be appreciated for light travel excursions. I agree with James' original assessment in post #1 and was glad his focus tension "loosened" up (hopefully mine will also)!

Ted
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 05:38   #39
Alexis Powell

Follow-up to my post #19 in this thread

My floppy-hinge Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED problem is now resolved thanks to excellent customer service from both REI and Zeiss. In the end, the close-out old version unit that I bought from REI for $209 was replaced with a new version unit by Zeiss under warranty. The whole process took a while, but I wasn't in a hurry, so I was happy to get everything sorted out properly and save a bit more money along the way.

REI couldn't replace the unit they shipped because the model was out of stock. They offered a full refund if I returned it but I didn't opt to do that because (1) I liked the discounted price that I got from REI, and (2) I prefer not to return defective items to vendors because I don't want them to be passed along to another customer. REI customer service apologized and sent me a $25 gift card for my trouble. As an REI member and irregular customer, I know I'll use the gift card, so it is much appreciated. I then called Zeiss customer service. They issued a UPS label to ship the bin to them without cost to me. Once they received it, they sent me a new unit.

The new unit is the slightly different newer version that has "Japan" written under the center piece in clear print rather than cryptically molded into the rubber armor of one of the barrels. It seems maybe a little different cosmetically, but I can't remember the first unit clearly enough to say how--maybe the black armor is a bit more shiny? I seem to remember being able to unscrew the eyecups on the first unit, but it doesn't seem possible with the new unit, unless they are just really stuck. Happily, the new unit differs from the first one in having acceptably tight hinges. The hinge tension is within the bounds of "normal" for a budget bin, though I prefer super-tight hinges on double-hinged pocket bins so I wish the Terra was even tighter (like my Zeiss 8x20 Victory or Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL bins), but I'll live with it. The focus wheel on the second bin is easier and smoother than the first, which was fairly stiff. Build quality and design are fine but are certainly not as refined as in top-end bins.

Based on the two units I've handled, I'd say that the Terra is optically quite nice, with a large sweet spot and excellent sharpness and image quality across the modestly wide view. It has nice eye-relief for my glasses and is easy to look through. Brightness and color are excellent. Contrast is quite good. The view doesn't seem lacking in any way by itself, though in side-by-side comparison to my Leica 8x20 Ultravid, the finest details are not as easy to see in the Zeiss. Perhaps it is just a matter of relative familiarity with the bins. Perhaps, as with my Zeiss 8x32 FL, it is a matter of requiring perfect eye placement to prevent astigmatism and other aberrations, unlike my experiences with Leica, Swarovski, and Nikon bins, which seem more tolerant of eye placement.

Overall, I'm pleased with the Zeiss 8x25 Terra. I think it will be an excellent bin for my intended purpose--to provide a good bin to an 8 year-old with small IPD. She'll also appreciate the easy reach to the focus knob and the close (under 6 foot) close focus. I don't anticipate using such a bin much myself. I prefer full-sized bins, and when I want something compact I'll use my trusty Leica 8x20 Ultravids, which are considerably smaller and more solid in the hand. The overall design and build of the Terra (and the Swarovski 8x25 CL) are not up to the level I prefer, so I'd be considering the new Zeiss 8x25 Victory if I were looking for an 8x25 for myself.

--AP
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 05:00   #40
Giljax

Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED Compact Binocular -----

What do you think the story is on every "stateside retailer" being out of this binocular?

Everywhere I have looked they are on back order---- Do you think the next shipments out will be different?
Maybe made somewhere else ? Different quality? Just curious---
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 14:46   #41
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giljax View Post
Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED Compact Binocular -----

What do you think the story is on every "stateside retailer" being out of this binocular?

Everywhere I have looked they are on back order---- Do you think the next shipments out will be different?
Maybe made somewhere else ? Different quality? Just curious---

Maybe the word is out, they are a very nice binocular, and a great
value.

Jerry
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 14:50   #42
Giljax

Sounds good, Jerry --- They fill a gap nicely !
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 21:53   #43
CSG

Sadly, OP has reported they've been pushed back until at least the middle of May for delivery of these. I had to ask them to cancel my order in spite of the wonderful price. I didn't really need them in any event as I have some Victory 10x25's.
Minolta 6x20, Vortex Fury 6.5x32, Jason 7x50, Nikon SE 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, Zeiss Victory 10x25, Canon 10x30 IS, Garrett 25x100 IF, Kowa TSN-883 w/25-60x WA, Televue Pronto, Televue TV-85
Old Friday 12th May 2017, 17:22   #44
Alexis Powell

Update on replacement 8x25 and on stock availability

In previous posts (#19 and 39) in this thread, I described my purchase of a Zeiss 8x25 Terra, its floppy hinges, and the excellent (though slow, because of stock availability) customer service of Zeiss in sending me a replacement with tighter hinges (though not tight as preferred) and smoother focus. At the time, I had the feeling that the optics were nice in many ways but that something was off with obtaining critical sharpness. First impressions about that sort of issue are usually a red flag, but I tried to be optimistic when I wrote the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
...The view doesn't seem lacking in any way by itself, though in side-by-side comparison to my Leica 8x20 Ultravid, the finest details are not as easy to see in the Zeiss. Perhaps it is just a matter of relative familiarity with the bins. Perhaps, as with my Zeiss 8x32 FL, it is a matter of requiring perfect eye placement to prevent astigmatism and other aberrations, unlike my experiences with Leica, Swarovski, and Nikon bins, which seem more tolerant of eye placement... Overall, I'm pleased with the Zeiss 8x25 Terra. I think it will be an excellent bin for my intended purpose--to provide a good bin to an 8 year-old with small IPD. She'll also appreciate the easy reach to the focus knob and the close (under 6 foot) close focus...
Well, since then I've had time to give the bins a thorough trial, play with the diopter, get to know them etc, and I can now say with confidence that they are optically flawed. My Zeiss 8x20 Victory and Leica 8x20 Ultravid are far superior, which is to say razor sharp by comparison. Used by themselves, with low expectations, or by someone with low acuity, these 8x25 Terra would probably be considered a fine binocular. What's wrong? Something about the left side keeps it from reaching critical focus, even in the center. Since I'm left eye dominant, it is especially bothersome to me. I haven't done a boosted magnification star test, and I don't really care what is wrong because it's a moot point since the verdict is that I find them unusable. I do note, at night, that I get big spike off the roof prisms, but that is true on both left and right sides. On a positive note, the zero position of the diopter is accurate, and both left and right sides focus in perfect synchrony, so if it weren't for whatever is ever-so-slightly-off that keeps the left side from reaching that last bit of focus, they'd be a breath of fresh air (or long-time reliable Japanese precision) compared to the mechanically imprecise bins (generally of Chinese manufacture) we so often see these days at this price point.

What's my next step? I called Zeiss and spoke to their excellent customer service. They will do another replacement, but unfortunately, the new stock is still not in and I was told wouldn't be in until June some time, so I'm holding on to these in the mean time for my 8 year old friend to use. I was also told that the issues with the floppy hinges and other mechanical issues were supposed to be addressed with production of this incoming stock.

--AP
Old Friday 12th May 2017, 19:05   #45
oldfortyfive

Bummer...I've been very happy with mine. Reminds me of a time when I put up a new garage door opener. Stanley ended up sending me four of them before I got one that worked right (and then it was an older model without the sensors). They were good about it and I got real good at installing them
Old Friday 12th May 2017, 20:15   #46
gunut
Registered Offender

I have two sets of the 8x25 Terra bins..[one is the wife's]...the one set has hinges that would just barely hold a set....now that I've used them a few times they don't hold at all....just sort of wilt..... guess I will have to get in touch with customer service.....otherwise I think
they are nice bins......

BTW...why are they replacing the whole unit when all it has is a loose hinge....???
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 16:54   #47
jeffhosier

8x25 hinges

I've had my Terra 8x25s for a year and the hinges are pretty loose. Makes them difficult to use. I've e-mailed Zeiss UK asking them if it's possible to tighten them. I'll let you know what they say.

Apart from this they're fantastic bins, and brilliant for slipping in a pocket for a sports event or when I'm just strolling round town.
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 17:09   #48
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
BTW...why are they replacing the whole unit when all it has is a loose hinge....???
Gunny
If I was Mr Zeiss I wouldn't repair them. I would send unsatisfactory units back to the maker and knock the cost of them and the freight charge off the next payment. This would increase the quality of future shipments I think.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is why they are replacing rather than repairing.

Lee
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 17:22   #49
gunut
Registered Offender

like I said in thread 46 the hinge on one of the 8x25 terras was to loose for comfort....sent it in for repair back in mid May.....they said they would be replacing the unit....but that they were out of stock....contacted them earlier this week and after 3 months they are still waiting on a shipment.....will let you know when I get a replacement....and how they compare with the other older pair that my wife has been using....
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 03:22   #50
edwincjones

OK-this may be/is a dumb question, but how does one use these?

My pair of the 8x25 Terras arrived today-my first pocket binoculars-and realize these are a different animal from normal binoculars

I attached the neck strap, like I always do with binoculars but worried re sweat falling on the EPs which have no rain guards.
I could get optional rainguards but then will not fit in small case.
May be easier to hold without neck strap? wrist strap? no strap?
Pocket only would work-but I do not have pockets in the summer.

So, how does one use/carry the pocket compacts ?

thanks,
edj
-L Armstrong and others

Last edited by edwincjones : Saturday 12th August 2017 at 03:27.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: