Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 20th March 2017, 14:45   #26
toasty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
Jerry and adhoc,

Yes, I know 8x20 format is a hard sell and most don't spend enough to get one that is good enough, or don't take the time/trouble to learn to make the format "sing" in use.
--AP

I was one of these cases. I had the 8x20 Zeiss Victory. Used them for about 2 years and decided I hated them. I ended up selling them and don't miss them one bit.
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 17:00   #27
adhoc

I guess some people are not musically gifted in the right way and cannot hear the song ;-) Actually, most of those who dislike them may be having problems with ease of viewing or eye placement, so variable among users as discussed in another thread/s recently. Else how can so many dislike these little marvels?
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 17:32   #28
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
If they improve them any more they will catch up to their Terra model....

After being away from the pocket world of optics (had the CL 8x25 for a few months), found a good deal on the Terra ED 8x25 for quick trip non-intrusive viewing. Very nice ergonomics, neutral colors that are sharp and bright with a good FOV. Hinge tensions are perfect, but will have to work the focuser into submission...just a little too stiff (but fast @ 1.25 turns close to Inf). As per the CL, ER isn't quite what I need, thus I rest the extended eye cups on my index fingers, then fingers to my brow and obtain an immediately clear sight picture that in memory (okay, no laughs), seems as clear, brilliant and immersive as the pocket CL (but at 1\3 the cost)! Not my usual holding technique, but provides descent steadiness with this small lightweight optic.

It would be interesting to see what the new pocket FL can offer over the Terra (larger FOV-yes, optical improvements?).

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-IMG_4238.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	619230  
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 13:42   #29
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe101 View Post
this is crazy within 1.5 years of not been around , zeiss got new pocket models, leica has new noctivids, nikon with the new HG and new brands like maven and GPO with reasonable priced binos that perform well. I have been missing out alot
Hey Joe its good to have you back! Where have you been, pal?

Lee
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 21:38   #30
joe101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Hey Joe its good to have you back! Where have you been, pal?

Lee
Busy with School, Not in Singapore for the time being. Currently in Michigan but going home for the summer holiday. Can't wait
Old Saturday 1st April 2017, 18:12   #31
CSG

I've had the previous version 10x25 Victorys for some years now. I bought them, specifically for hiking and when I was doing SAR. I still use them frequently and are the bins I normally carry on walks unless I'm going to go looking at birds. They are a bit quirky but I love them. Living where I do, I doubt I'll have an opportunity to see the new version but the 8x25 sound intriguing.
Minolta 6x20, Vortex Fury 6.5x32, Jason 7x50, Nikon SE 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, Zeiss Victory 10x25, Canon 10x30 IS, Garrett 25x100 IF, Kowa TSN-883 w/25-60x WA, Televue Pronto, Televue TV-85
Old Tuesday 18th April 2017, 20:53   #32
adhoc

They are now listed by a few UK retailers in their websites.
Available in June.
Pre-order price 8x25 GBP 620. For comparison, at these retailers,
the Conquest 8x32 ranges from ~ GBP 580 to 630.

Last edited by adhoc : Wednesday 19th April 2017 at 10:31.
Old Saturday 2nd September 2017, 05:26   #33
adhoc

Reviews in:
Cloudy Nights: link
Binomania: link (English translation available from within webpage)
Old Saturday 2nd September 2017, 08:24   #34
fazalmajid

I saw them at Selfridges a couple of weeks ago, and I received mine from Optics Planet today.

I wouldn't call them pocket binoculars. They are not much smaller than my Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, albeit significantly lighter, and way larger than the Leica 8x20 Ultravids, which unlike these are truly shirt-pocketable. The supplied semi-hard case is preposterously large for compact binoculars. The strap has a comfortable neoprene-like neckband portion, but it doesn't look reinforced. Unfortunately it also lacks quick-release clips, and the flimsy-looking D rings (that connect the strap proper to the little loops that you mount on the lugs), do not inspire confidence. No rainguard or objective covers are provided.

The field of view is practically the same as the Leica 8x32, which cost over twice as much, but of course noticeably dimmer. The flatness of field seems less than on either Leicas. My eyes are the limiting factor, but they all seem sharp to edges (once you compensate for the absence of flatteners by refocusing). There is some visible pincushion distortion, but again less than the Leicas. I wear glasses and the Zeiss are much more forgiving than the 8x20 in terms of eye placement.

All in all, I don't think these binoculars compete with the ultra-compact 8x20 EDC models, but rather with the midsize 8x32 ones: same AFOV, same optical quality, a little darker but almost half the weight. A very impressive release from Zeiss, pity about the accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	507B5289-0A7D-433D-BE57-415D0158C350.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	638231  

Last edited by fazalmajid : Saturday 2nd September 2017 at 08:44.
Old Saturday 2nd September 2017, 21:55   #35
adhoc

Fazalmajid, thanks for the very relevant comparison with those two models.

The new Zeiss in both 8x and 10x models is, however, at 290g (or a gram less, see Binomania!) only 7.0 to 7.5 per cent heavier than the Leica Ultravid BR (Rubber-armored version) 10x25 at 270-275?g, and lighter than the Nikon HG/Premier 10x25 at 300g.

It is the same length as those two at 4.4 inches.

I have a good deal of experience in carrying the Uv. BR 10x25 in a pants pocket (regular informal/formal wear, not trekking type pants with big pockets). I find this is manageable, although unlike a model of the Uv. 8x20 weight range, which I hardly feel, and often forget, is there. I am of slight-medium build.

In what kind of light do you find the new Zeiss 8x25 dimmer than the Leica Uv. 8x32 (pre-"Plus" model, as seen from the photo)?

(For the field of view and optical quality of the new Zeiss 8x25, which I read of in good reviews, I renenged on the weight limit I had set myself described in post #5 in this thread! The accessories do not matter to me as I never user them. The binocular should reach me in about a month.)
Old Saturday 2nd September 2017, 22:54   #36
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
The new Zeiss in both 8x and 10x models is, however, at 290g (or a gram less, see Binomania!) only 7.0 to 7.5 per cent heavier than the Leica Ultravid BR (Rubber-armored version) 10x25 at 270-275?g, and lighter than the Nikon HG/Premier 10x25 at 300g.

It is the same length as those two at 4.4 inches.
I haven't tried either the 10x25 you mention, but I would expect the Leica 10x25 to be even more finicky about eye placement than the 8x20, whereas the Zeiss 8x25 is as easy to use as the Leica 8x32, no dount thanks to the eye relief. If you want 10x, the Victory Pocket is also available in that magnification.

Quote:
In what kind of light do you find the new Zeiss 8x25 dimmer than the Leica Uv. 8x32 (pre-"Plus" model, as seen from the photo)?
Indoors at night when I compared them, at close to the minimum focus distance. It is only to be expected, a 32mm objective has 60% more surface than a 25mm, or 2/3 of a stop. Even if we assume the Zeiss uses Schott HT glass for the non-FL elements vs. the older glass in the UV HD non-Plus, it's a steep handicap to overcome. That said, if this were a concern on an outing, I'd bring a 8x42 along instead.

Quote:
(For the field of view and optical quality of the new Zeiss 8x25, which I read of in good reviews, I renenged on the weight limit I had set myself described in post #5 in this thread! The accessories do not matter to me as I never user them. The binocular should reach me in about a month.)
The Zeiss 8x25 is surprisingly thick because of the single-hinge design. It fits (barely) in my jacket pocket. I would expect it to fit perfectly in a Billingham AVEA pouch, and I am debating using a detachable wrist strap instead of a neck strap, or badgering Leica to get me replacements of the excellent (light and compact, yet with quick-detach connectors) strap that shipped with the Trinovid 8x25 BC. Another option would be the Peak Designs Leash strap.
Old Saturday 2nd September 2017, 23:17   #37
Common Raven

I had very high hopes for these, assuming they had wider field of view and a more relaxed view than my Ultravid 8x20's, but smaller than my Nikon Monarch 8x30's. But that monstrous case (something that's essential to me as they're tossed around in my school bag and travel backpack, is a real deal-killer. Not sure why premium binocular makers make a binocular so compact, only to reduce a lot of the benefit of their compact size by designing such a huge case. Guess I'll reconsider the Kowas 8x22 again.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 2nd September 2017, 23:40   #38
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Just put it in a smaller case...my 8x25 Terra's fit perfectly in the leather case for my 8x20 BGAT/P's.
Old Sunday 3rd September 2017, 13:16   #39
adhoc

Fazalmajid, thanks.

Yes I do know of the 10x25, I mention it in the text you quote!

Indoors at night is, I too have found, a good setting to test for low-light viewing.

Yes it is thick, but not more than the Uv. 10x25 I hope - viewed your photo many times!

Common Raven, surely your case for it need not be its own, or even a binocular case!
Old Wednesday 6th September 2017, 12:35   #40
GunnarGG

Saw the Victory 8x25 a few days ago.

It was nice and compared to my Terra I noticed a larger FOV but otherwise no big difference.
Maybe the Victory is brighter and sharper but nothing I noticed during my quick look.

I also looked at the 8x22 Kowa that felt like high quality but the Terra was easier to use IMHO.
Old Friday 8th September 2017, 22:13   #41
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Raven View Post
I had very high hopes for these, assuming they had wider field of view and a more relaxed view than my Ultravid 8x20's, but smaller than my Nikon Monarch 8x30's. But that monstrous case (something that's essential to me as they're tossed around in my school bag and travel backpack, is a real deal-killer. Not sure why premium binocular makers make a binocular so compact, only to reduce a lot of the benefit of their compact size by designing such a huge case. Guess I'll reconsider the Kowas 8x22 again.
I just don't know why so many people get their knickers in a twist about the binocular cases supplied by the manufacturers. There are hundreds of different cases readily available in all sorts of sizes, shapes and colours, you only need to visit a well-stocked camera store. You're bound to find one that fits and works for you.

Or get yourself some nice, soft leather, and have a saddler make you a case. You can even make it yourself.

Hermann
Old Saturday 9th September 2017, 14:00   #42
Dorian Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Or get yourself some nice, soft leather, and have a saddler make you a case. You can even make it yourself.
With a little more work, you could make the binocular to go in it, too.
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 19:34   #43
JoeJ

OK, I'm confused, but that's nothing unusual for me. Just what is the performance difference between the 10X25 made in Hungry and those now made in Japan? As I understand it; the only difference is the new models have a fluoride coating to the lens - that's a plus but how much of a plus in a 25 mm lens?
Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 22:12   #44
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
OK, I'm confused, but that's nothing unusual for me. Just what is the performance difference between the 10X25 made in Hungry and those now made in Japan? As I understand it; the only difference is the new models have a fluoride coating to the lens - that's a plus but how much of a plus in a 25 mm lens?
The new focus knob looks bigger. It could be a significant improvement to handling, especially if it is smooth.
Close focus spec is also much better.

--AP

Last edited by Alexis Powell : Thursday 21st September 2017 at 22:14.
Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 22:43   #45
Dorian Gray

Other notable changes according to the brochures:
  • wider field of view (105 m versus 95 m at the usual distance; I prefer degrees but Zeiss doesnt)
  • more eye relief (16.5 mm versus 13.5 mm)
  • heavier (290 g versus 250 g)
  • wider operational temperature range (−25C to +63C versus −20C to +40C), though Im always dubious about how this is measured and reported.
So theyre entirely different products. The new ones look different, have different specifications, and are even more expensive.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 00:19   #46
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Other notable changes according to the brochures:
  • wider field of view (105 m versus 95 m at the usual distance; I prefer degrees but Zeiss doesnt)
  • more eye relief (16.5 mm versus 13.5 mm)
  • heavier (290 g versus 250 g)
  • wider operational temperature range (−25C to +63C versus −20C to +40C), though Im always dubious about how this is measured and reported.
So theyre entirely different products. The new ones look different, have different specifications, and are even more expensive.
The longer eye relief would be very good. I don't wear glasses, and have not
yet found a pocket type, that works well without holding things a little bit away, with a forehead brace.

Jerry
Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 06:38   #47
fazalmajid

They claim fluorite lens elements, not coatings. That should make for less CA and sharper views. I haven’t tried the previous generation but they are outstanding for compact binos.
Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 14:26   #48
Riverstalker

Somebody can give a statement Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 vs Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 ?
I boiled it down to those two and lean towards the Zeiss at the moment. I am most interested in the ease of view of the Zeiss. I could test the Swarovski and it was ok but maybe someone can tell me the Zeiss is even better.

Binomania Italy has a review of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket and google translate spits out that the Swaro may have an advantage in ease of view. Thank you !
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 18:37   #49
Gzoladz74

After much consideration I have taken the plunge...I have been looking for an 8x25 since the beginning of the year to replace my Zeiss Victory 8x20 (which is great, but I could never feel entirely comfortable with it due to eye placement issues).

I was considering the Terra but then the Victory was announced and although more that twice the price, it will be amortized over many years (15/20).

It is in the post now, hopefully I will have it by the weekend and all going well I may sell the 8x20.
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 08:13   #50
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzoladz74 View Post
After much consideration I have taken the plunge...I have been looking for an 8x25 since the beginning of the year to replace my Zeiss Victory 8x20 (which is great, but I could never feel entirely comfortable with it due to eye placement issues).

I was considering the Terra but then the Victory was announced and although more that twice the price, it will be amortized over many years (15/20).

It is in the post now, hopefully I will have it by the weekend and all going well I may sell the 8x20.
Well done Dublin man. Please let us know what you think of them when you have had time to try them out.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: