Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 9th June 2017, 17:15   #1
Jaywalk

Victory SF 8x42 in the Hard Case

Is there a trick to putting the Victory SF 8x42 back into its cordura case with the bin's neckstrap on? I've tried folding up the soft part of the neck strap between the barrels but still can't close the case's zipper all the way.
Old Sunday 11th June 2017, 08:20   #2
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalk View Post
Is there a trick to putting the Victory SF 8x42 back into its cordura case with the bin's neckstrap on? I've tried folding up the soft part of the neck strap between the barrels but still can't close the case's zipper all the way.
No there is no problem and I covered this a couple of years ago with photos. All I do with my SFs is wind the strap around the hinges and nestle the end between the barrels and then in it goes. Honestly, I have been doing this with SFs ever since they were launched and never had trouble zipping up the case...Cheers

Lee
Old Sunday 11th June 2017, 14:50   #3
chill6x6

Always seems to be a little tight for me. I use a RY Ultralight harness. Sometimes a little repositioning will do...

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 11th June 2017, 15:51   #4
Jaywalk

Thank you. Wrapping around the hinges worked, after a fashion. I did have to remove the warranty booklet but I probably shouldn't have tried to carry that, anyway. Still, it is quite tight, the magnets in the strap and case do not overlap completely, and there is certainly strain on the stitching near the objective covers. This has been the case since I replaced the eyecups with the taller replacements.
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 12:18   #5
Troubador

I the rainguard on top over the eyecups and pull the strap back behind the bins and fold it up so it nestles behind the hinge. I don't have objective covers on when the bins are in the hard case as there really is no need. We are packing up to go home after a hol and I just put the SFs into the case as described above and it didn't need any forcing, stretching, pushing, shoving or cussing to get it in and zipped up. The magneting flap fits on the magnet just right too.

Lee
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 16:16   #6
Jaywalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I the rainguard on top over the eyecups and pull the strap back behind the bins and fold it up so it nestles behind the hinge. I don't have objective covers on when the bins are in the hard case as there really is no need. We are packing up to go home after a hol and I just put the SFs into the case as described above and it didn't need any forcing, stretching, pushing, shoving or cussing to get it in and zipped up. The magneting flap fits on the magnet just right too.

Lee
Lee, if not on the objectives, where do you put the covers?
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 17:47   #7
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalk View Post
Lee, if not on the objectives, where do you put the covers?
Hi Jay

I have never used objective covers, ever, so they stay in the carton up in our roof space.

My bins mostly live inside their carry cases where they are well protected and when we go on trips or holidays they travel in the cases until we reach our destination apart from the times when we drive through interesting and quiet countryside when I might have a pair around my neck.
When on holilday the bins are either out on a table or window ledge or around my neck. At no time have I felt the need for the extra protection of objective covers.
BUT: we have never been to a place with severe wind-driven sand and I can imagine wanting the protection of objective covers then. BTW when walking through thorny scrub I protect the bins with my hand against my body or tuck them under my jacket or shirt.

Cheers Lee
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 18:49   #8
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

I'd like to know why people feel the need to use the objective covers at all? I've ditched all of mine from day one and work my bins very hard - all weather, brush and thicket, lots of bushwhacking and have never scratched an objective in over 40 years.
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 20:08   #9
Richard Scott

I only use objective covers when I'm on my bike to stop dirt getting flicked up onto the objective lenses.
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 02:50   #10
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
I'd like to know why people feel the need to use the objective covers at all? I've ditched all of mine from day one and work my bins very hard - all weather, brush and thicket, lots of bushwhacking and have never scratched an objective in over 40 years.
Dust, dirt, grime, tree limbs, accidents, etc... It's not always practical to have the covers on during frequent use for sure BUT.... I have at the least the objective covers ON when not frequent glassing. Mainly keeps exterior of optics cleaner with less cleaning. For the most part the HT/SF/Conquest HD covers are kinda useless in the field though. FL covers are great! I also always put them on when putting in case to store.....I see no reason not to.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 03:26   #11
etudiant

Quote:
Agree entirely.
Binoculars and monoculars are utility items, not sacred objects.
Common sense care is quite sufficient.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th June 2017, 14:41   #12
Robert Wallace

Quote:
It's only recently that decent binoculars have objective covers as standard. My Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarems(1975) ,Carl Zeiss 10x40 BGT Dialyts (1986) and 7x42BGTP Dialyts (1997)were not provided with objective covers. The Dekarems didn't even have a rain guard. My Swaro 8x32s bought two years ago were the first with objective covers for use in the field. My wife used a pair of Swift 8x40 about 40 years ago with objective covers but they were more for packaging than field use. Objective covers were not common when Bill Oddie published " The Little Black Bird Book", otherwise I'm sure he would have used them as one of the indicators for classifying a "dude" birder.
I notice my Zeiss SF 10x42 bought 2 days ago have objective covers but are left unattatched (to preserve my image of course).

Back on thread I initially found the case a tight fit but with care and practice it's no longer an issue.

Last edited by Robert Wallace : Friday 30th June 2017 at 14:47.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 15:36   #13
Jaywalk

I've tried it both ways over the last month or so - with case and without objective covers, and with objective covers and without case. I prefer keeping the covers and not using the case, so the case is now stored away and the binocs are immediately available after a quick flick removing the covers. It's the way I carried my Nikon Superior E set for years and I'm comfortable with it. Thanks for the ideas.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: