• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa (May 2011) Kalahari (1 Viewer)

Mike Richardson

Formerly known as Skink1978
In May 2011 I was lucky enough to visit South Africa for two and a half weeks. As usual I spent most of my energy seeking out mammals and reptiles but that’s not to say that we didn’t see some very impressive birds.

The trip can be roughly divided into three parts:

1. The Kalahari where we spent time in the fabulous Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in search of the big predators.

2. The Karoo incorporating Kimberley and the Karoo National Park where we hoped for Aardvark and Aardwolf.

3. The Cape which includes Cape Town and a grand finale in the West Coast National Park.

Please find a link to the first part of my report below. Feel free to skip past the introduction!

http://wildlifewanderer.co.uk/2011Kalahari.aspx

Thanks for the kind comments although Sarah must take the credit for the best photos. I reckon we can improve on our Leopard shot!

. . . and one more. Great stuff.

One day pix like these will persuade me into buying a real camera - even though I know there's far more to it than getting the kit.

Cheers
Mike

I really enjoyed the first part Mike, brought back some great memories, great photos too! I also had difficulties in booking a night drive whilst in KTP. I felt that this was the one area they could improve on. It can get very frustrating.

Looking forward to the next part!

Cheers
Martyn

Many thanks for the additional comments.

Martyn, it was your report that made me consider KTP in the first place (in addition to Steve's Caracal photo).

I really enjoyed the first part Mike, brought back some great memories, great photos too! I also had difficulties in booking a night drive whilst in KTP. I felt that this was the one area they could improve on. It can get very frustrating.

Looking forward to the next part!

Cheers
Martyn

Even in peak season there seems to be a shortage of people wanting to do the night drives. Outside this time I'd imagine it's very frustrating. A superb reserve though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back