• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Africa questions (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all, this is a mixture of a little bit of this and that.

1 and 2 are from a tour with a Barge on Olifant River in South Africa, and both are horrible images.
1 The sandpiper I had the feeling on the spot probably was a wood sand, but I am not sure the picture can prove or disprove anything.
2 I thought I saw several small Cisticola like birds in the reeds, and did not get any shots, so when this one showed I just shot without even looking. I got two horrible shots, but now I would not be surprised if this was another Southern Masked Weaver?

3 and 4 both are from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.
3 I think these are one adult and one juvenile Red-billed Oxpecker?
4 I am fairly sure this is Yellow-bellied Greenbul but would like confirmation.

Thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Sandpiper q P1040558.JPG
    Sandpiper q P1040558.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 69
  • bird in reeds q P1040559.jpg
    bird in reeds q P1040559.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Oxpeckers q.jpg
    Oxpeckers q.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Yel-bel Greenbull P1040601.JPG
    Yel-bel Greenbull P1040601.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 51
One more bird, this one from Victoria Falls, ZW: am I right in thinking Village Weaver?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Weaver q8 P1040909.JPG
    Weaver q8 P1040909.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 44
I'm thinking you're right about all the identifiable birds here - though I'm not going to put a name to the first weaver (it is a weaver though).

I agree Niels, you're right on pics 3/4/5.
1-could be a Wood but with a picture like that...
2-weaver sp indeed...(though probably Southern Masked)

Thank you both.
And Tib, yes I know about those pictures, but low light and too great a distance is not a good combination.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back