• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your top 3 "bogey" birds? (1 Viewer)

shropshirelad63

Got a big monkey off my back yesterday with Black Throated Diver! so my 3 remaining bogeys are, Marsh Harrier, Grey Phalarope and Short Eared Owl-fingers crossed for one of them soon! What is anyones 3?

1. Grey Partridge(still!!!!)
2. Capercaillie (missed displaying male by 10 mins this year)
3. Dotterel

Will be up in Yorkshire so hoping to knock Grey Partridge off the list:t:

Rich

Verreaux's Eagle for me, missed it literally all over Africa!

Caspian Tern in the UK when I used to twitch

Great Shearwater

A

Andy

Within the ABA region, as far as birds that I feel I should have seen by now, I would list the following:

Ruddy Ground-Dove
Purple Sandpiper
Worm-eating Warbler

Probably a few others could go on the list, and odds are my list of three would radically change on a different day.

For county [Northumbs]:
1 Honey-buzzard - all the ones I see are Common Buzzards
2 Bee-eater - seen loads across the river in Durham, but they never come to Northumbs
3 Cetti's Warbler - missed one that I should've got up for but for a dose of 'flu

For world:
1 Sandgrouse, any. Dipped in Morocco and Portugal.
2 White-winged Snowfinch, & 3 Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush - two birds I'd like to see, but haven't.

For the UK -
- Merlin (Falcons are my forte , and this is the only one native to the UK that I'm yet to see)
- Little Owl
- Yellowhammer (Silly I know! I should have seen one by now!)

Going by most effort expended without seeing a bird? Probably biggest nemeses are these two, particularly the second:

Gray-headed Piprites (heard twice, months of effort in prime habitat, this bird is a unicorn)
Scaled Antpitta - heard perhaps 25 times. Still unseen. I've seen 35-45 Grallariculae taxa, depending on taxonomy, including all of the hardest and rarest in the Andes, but the Grallaria with the largest distribution yet eludes me :)

I have a lot more dips in the neotropics but relative to effort the above two stand out.

But birds that I just plain should have seen by now? There are many, some standouts are perhaps...
Dickcissel (this is the top bird on my eBird needs list for every country from Mexico to Costa Rica!)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Calliope Hummingbird (Certainly actually seen, but never certainly ID'd)
Orange-winged Parrot (top "needs list" bird for eBird from Colombia, Ecuador, or Peru!)
Ruby Topaz
Lucifer Hummingbird

I don't worry too much about the common birds, I will see them in time. Dipping Gray-headed Piprites after the amount of effort kind of stunk, though.

Your Scaled Antpitta is my Undulated Antpitta Josh!

My number one and two neotropical bogey birds must be Tropical Screech-owl and Little Tinamou. There always seemed to be a good reason why they were calling but didn't show. Some other birds I should have seen: Black-tailed Trainbearer and Rufous-capped Antthrush.

Birds that should have showed up somewhere are Lanceolated Monklet, White-faced Nunbird, Sharp-tailed Streamcreeper and Chestnut-crested Cotinga. I also seem to miss Cerulean Warbler on each of my winter visits to S-America.

I feel bad missing out some birds I spent a whole day searching for, while traveling (Rufous-breasted Warbling-finch, Grey-bellied Comet) or in the case of owls, several nights (Cloud Forest Screech-owl, White-throated Screech-owl).

Some other birds I missed because of bad logistics (Yellow-faced Parrotlet) of not knowing any stake outs (Andean Potoo).

Last edited:
Dipping Tropical Screech-Owl and Little Tinamou have to hurt :)

You probably know all this but just to discuss - In my experience, Rufous-capped Antthrush is common enough in the right areas of Amazonia but can be a challenge to see, as any Antthrush, and can easily be missed, just like any given Antpitta on any given attempt :) I saw that one readily on my first try in Mitu, but still haven't seen Striated.

The Monklet and Nunbird are pretty rare honestly and not too vocal (or at least the Monklet is really readily overlooked). In more than three years in the Neotropics I have seen the Nunbird once and the Monklet twice. Best stakeout for the Nunbird has to be the road between Tandayapa Lodge and Bellavista Lodge in NW Ecuador. I don't know if there is really a stakeout for the Monklet, just some areas that have a smattering of sightings. The Cotinga and Cloud-forest Screech-Owl are also hard but if you get back to Cen Peru, Ulcumano Ecolodge is by far the best site for either species it seems, otherwise the area near the trout farm between Jardin and Yellow-eared Parrot reserve in W Colombian Andes is the other fairly reliable spot for the Cotinga.

Speaking of Andean Potoo, I've put a good bit of effort in looking for this species and never even heard it. I tried on the San Isidro/Yanayacu rd 5 or 6 different nights, always striking out, and have tried several other places. Hoping to change that on the Manu Rd soon.

Specifically for my New York state list, Canada Warbler. I've lived here two years now and the buggers are fairly widespread breeders in this state - how has this happened?

Long-eared Owl even though I've seen them before - but it's been about 15 years since my one and only sighting despite many many searches.

I could probably think of many others but don't want to get depressed, especially over international dips :-C:t:

Above and beyond all others.... Bee-eater.
To make it worse, I've had one fly over me calling and not been able to get eyes on it....
Hume's Warbler is the same; I dipped the Dorset one three times and yes, heard it calling but not a glimpse.. [I swear it was laughing...]
For Devon, I have somehow managed to miss every Squacco Heron, despite multiple attempts on multiple birds [last year we had probably three!]

Based on BUBO:
World:
Lesser Yellowlegs, White-tailed Eagle, Rough-legged Buzzard

Britain:
Willow Tit, Bean Goose, Pectoral Sandpiper (have seen the first and last of those elsewhere so I don't mind too much!)

Australia:
Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Dusky Woodswallow, Red-kneed Dotterel

Around Brisbane, I feel like White-throated Gerygone, Restless Flycatcher and Latham's Snipe are the easiest ones missing from my world life list.

I'm still bitter over honey buzzard, wood warbler and brambling -- after nearly a decade of living near some of the best locations for all 3. I must be blind :-O But I've been memorizing brambling flight call for a while, so one day I'll get it...

Firecrest so close to making this list, overall I've spent hours and hours searching for this bird over a period of many years in the "right" habitat and location, but I eventually found one late 2014 on migration.

In America my bogey birds are black-chinned sparrow (heard all over, but a very elusive bird), common poorwill (heard all over, always far away), and western screen owl (haven't even heard this one!).

Last edited:
Only one bird that I've tried to see and failed and that is the yellow browed warbler despite huge numbers being here this year. My week off at the end of September was marred by strong SW winds so my trip to the coast was unproductive to say the least. Every other week before and after have had perfect conditions for them and other scarcities. I have heard their calls a couple of times before but couldn't see them.
One bogey I've gotten rid of is jack snipe (at last) even though there was a place about half a mile from home that has been good for them. Now it is being heavily developed and the ponds have been drained to make way for more business units to stand empty like most of the others that have been there for years.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back