• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few more from Cyprus...April '17 (1 Viewer)

KenM

Found these extra images on a mislaid SD card from my April trip, thinking female Ruppell's for 1, and have hunches for the rest.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1470545.jpeg  Female Sylvia sp..jpg
    P1470545.jpeg Female Sylvia sp..jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 156
  • P1260362.jpeg  Wheatear sp.2..jpeg
    P1260362.jpeg Wheatear sp.2..jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 155
  • P1470403.jpeg    sp1..jpg
    P1470403.jpeg sp1..jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 149
  • P1480774.jpeg   Sunbather....jpg
    P1480774.jpeg Sunbather....jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 153
  • P1470181.jpeg  F2..jpg
    P1470181.jpeg F2..jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 153
I'll take a shot to get the ball rolling:

1. Cyprus Warbler (female) based on the slight streaking that seems to be visible on the throat
2. Finsch's Wheatear (female)
3. Semi-collared Flycatcher (male)
4. Cetti's Warbler?
5. Collared Flycatcher (female) based on the lack of a second wing bar

Ruppell's, Black-eared both f for first two.
Pied Flycarcher
C Nightingale for 4
Collared Flycatcher

Yes thanks guys!

Am aware of the cosmetic overlap/variability with the Ficedula group, and image 5 might well support this. I'm thinking that there is a lot of white in the outer rectrices of this bird...too much for a Collared?

hmm, nice challenge. I'd also like to give it a try

1-Rüppel's - too little (if any?) markings on underside or undertail coverts for Cyprus
2-Eastern Black-eared - pale finged GC should exclude Finch's, no?
3-Can't seriously tell whether Pied or Semi-collared
4-would favour Cetti's over Nightingale due to eye-ring and relative eye size
5-Collared female for me - too much white at base of primaries for Pied, too much white at tertials for Semi-collared, extend of white in outer tail OK for Collared

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back