• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need bino help (1 Viewer)

RJ74

Hi, i wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on which is better or what the differance is between the leica trinovid and the trinovid hd?

The biggest difference between the two is the position of the diopter adjustment, which went from the central focus wheel on the older version, to the more commonly-found right ocular position on the new HD. Central hinge/cover is different, and the strap lugs are different.

I have not used the two side by side, so I cannot tell you anything about the difference in view, if there is one to begin with. However, I have read more than once that the new HD's view is not any better than the old one, and one reviewer stated the new HD view was not as good as the old one. Certainly the view of our older 10x version is quite satisfying to us. I would confidently estimate that the new one is not any better in any significant way than the old version. Given that the old version is cheaper to purchase than the new HD version, I would not consider the purchase of a new HD, and would certainly not recommend the purchase of a new HD to anyone I know either.

Agree with Phil. Leica updated the Trinovid in 2015 by moving the diopter ring to the right barrel and dropped the price to under $1000. I personally prefer the older Trinovid that has the center diopter ring. Leica central diopter adjuster is the most elegant of all binoculars in any price range. This model sold for $1400 before the newer model was introduced. Now the older model (2012 - 2015) is sold for around $950.

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-Binocular-8x42-Trinovid/dp/B007E80L3M/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1473531863&sr=1-5&keywords=leica+trinovid

The only drawback I see with the older model is the close focus distance is longer at 10ft. The newer model is at 6 ft.

Although they are sold out at subzero's link, the old version can still be found at the Eurooptic site where as of earlier this morning they were still available for $879/$899 shipped. I would consider them to be a good deal at that those prices.......

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back