• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you get bored always using the same bin? (1 Viewer)

That's why I DON'T. I enjoy swapping around. Every binocular is different. Every binocular has pros/cons. I enjoy the differences to a point. As long as it's a quality product I can enjoy using it and appreciate it for what it is.

That convalescence "sucks" as I believe they say stateside.

I'm still recovering from nearly dying two years back after some kind of lung problem, they said pneumonitis so I don't really know what happened but I suspect some kind of fungus mould infection and my immune system seemed to be unable to clear it up and instead sort of went into overdrive and bunged up my lungs with mucus so I had great difficulty getting any air into my lungs and therefore oxygen into my blood. I think it was touch and go for a while but now it seems that I have some extra time again but am left with asthma which I never had before but it is well controlled with inhalers presently. The problem actually started about a year after I quit smoking but if I had not done that then I think I was heading for COPD or worse anyhow.

I wanted to say though that I had tried to read up something on mindfulness as it is touted as almost a miracle cure for depression and anxiety or whatever but I found the books to be full of nonsense exercises and basically talking a load of crap but I sort of got the idea and then one day I realised that birding or nature observation in general is actually practicing mindfulness and what a great way to do it and if you have some great bins then the effect is more dramatic I think.

So for me I get the physical fitness side with the cycling and walking and the mindfulness mediation side with the birding or general nature observation and the outdoors fresh air and the elements enjoyment.

I no longer bring a camera or scope as I need to travel lighter and my priority is observing, so bins are my main item and making sighting lists and so on is bureaucracy I don't wish for. Keeping it simple and changing my bin for a bit of a refreshing change.

Your second paragraph about meditation, etc. is spot on for me too. I tried that stuff and it did nothing and I found some of it to be mumbo jumbo.
Just getting out in nature is healing for me. It helps more than anything.
I've been to many shrinks over many years and had only mild improvement.
I think much of it is hereditary for me.

I also keep it simple. I began with a bino and a small camera and then ditched the camera, as it was too cumbersome. I like just having memories and I don't need a photo of everything. I will occasionally take a pic with my iphone at some wildflowers, butterfly or something, but that's it. I only bring one bino and I'm not a 'lister' per se, but I have my own life list and I do report on ebird frequently , but this is to contribute to data for biologists to have records of local avifauna. I do like how it also saves a life list for you, so it is a good backup to my paper book...or, maybe the paper book is the backup at this point. I also want to get back into drawing or painting and focus on landscapes, but there's just not a lot of time with working and feeling drained by the weekend from the job.

Simplifying life: I have also sold lots of stuff on ebay over the past years, donated stuff and recycled and now I have much less junk in my apartment and it feels very good.

I wish you the best with your health and happy you recovered and can get outdoors to do the things you enjoy. :)

Yes thank you and likewise to all.

It will be interesting to see how things go. I don't like taking inhalers but I suppose it's easier than puffing on a cigarette 20 times a day. I can actually breath better going up hills when cycling now than I could when I was a smoker but I still find walking briskly a challenge for some reason but normally I don't so this while birding, more of a stalk style but I can run up stairs now while at the worst point I could only crawl up them if you can imagine that?

We never really know what is around the corner that is for sure and how suddenly a potentially life threatening illness can appear and progress but I didn't appreciate this as much before as I certainly do now. In a way it's made me try and look after my health more and appreciate nature while I'm here to see it but barring incidents I may have a couple of decades yet so no need to panic. I shouldn't have smoked for so long so I have only myself to blame for mistreating my system but am lucky and actually a bit surprised that I am so ok at present.

Positive mental attitude is a tough one though with so much crap around in this crazy world so birding is something of an escape from all of that.

This guy is very good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfTNV6kDAYg&index=1&list=PL7iYxOOL22RE1vCfiYc_xw_fbV4lv4il_

Clive sometimes it takes a kick up the bum from life to remind us what is most important. Both me and Troubadoris find not only comfort but stimulation from nature observation. I'm not sure where you are based but we enjoyed a terrific visit to The Burren a few years back, not only for the flowers (for which it is famous) but the Mountain Hares, the inter-tidal marine life in the intricately eroded limestone and non-breeding Great Northern Divers just off-shore.

Lee

I wish you the best with your health and happy you recovered and can get outdoors to do the things you enjoy. :)

Thanks and I hope your shoulder mends well soon and you can get back out there also. I hated being indoors just today but I knew it was going to be a wet one and I needed to at least give myself one day off cycling. I think I'm getting a bit addicted to it but it's not the worst addiction a person could have.

Really starting to notice the nights arriving earlier now and mornings later. Look forward to next spring already.

Clive sometimes it takes a kick up the bum from life to remind us what is most important. Both me and Troubadoris find not only comfort but stimulation from nature observation. I'm not sure where you are based but we enjoyed a terrific visit to The Burren a few years back, not only for the flowers (for which it is famous) but the Mountain Hares, the inter-tidal marine life in the intricately eroded limestone and non-breeding Great Northern Divers just off-shore.

Lee

I enjoy visiting parts of Ireland also and the West Coast is very laid back and getting drunk and doing a bit of Irish dancing is mighty craic but currently I'm near to Armagh City back where I was born and the area I know best although I sort of wish I had been born down the road to where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea, an area which I can see from here on a clear day. Maybe there is still time but maybe I'm to lazy to bother about moving there now. Nowhere here is to far away to at least be able to visit and in good weather it's as nice as anywhere.

Last edited:

Do you get bored writing a lot? 8-P

It's ok I can probably guess.

Ok seems some are no's and others are yes and everything in between. So there we have it. There is no conclusion to be drawn.

I could make do with one decent pair and be fine, something like my Kowa SV 8x32 but would say I definitely like the variety and I do get a bit bored when I have only had one or two bins in the past. I do like thinking before I go out, which bin do I fancy trying today.

I guess this is good news for bino manufacturers that at least some feel the hoarding urge but it's partly that I had to buy bins to get to try them anyway.

I think also when anyone upgrades their bins it will be partly due to being a bit bored with or to accustomed to their existing bin, besides wanting an improved model.

Thanks for all the inputs and don't get bored ..... (with your single bin ;) )
You can always buy lots more 8-P

See that bin makers, you should be grabbing me to promote owning lots of bins on a world wide crusade. We'll introduce the first totally recyclable model or even a biodegradable $3000 model :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back