• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss victory T FL 8x32 and Nikon Monarch thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Made my very first (similar sized) comparison today - a friend from our neighbours came to visit from Scotland and brought his Swarovski EL 10x32 along. I am not a professional reviewer off course but I hope my opinion can be usefull as well:

Zeiss was brighter than SW but the colors in the SW are more saturated, overall the image is very enjoyable in both. The image produced by the Zeiss is slightly better as there are no signs of CA.

Zeiss is very ergonomic but the SW is just perfect - even with the 10x it is easy to hold them steady. Eyecups are better in the SW as well.

Focus is a large difference, for in flight the Zeiss is way better due to its faster focus, the SW on the other hand is more tollerant.

To me both are excellent and I am very happy to own one of them, it would be difficult to choose from - I might as well pick blindfolded, both are just very good.

Made my very first (similar sized) comparison today - a friend from our neighbours came to visit from Scotland and brought his Swarovski EL 10x32 along. I am not a professional reviewer off course but I hope my opinion can be usefull as well:

Zeiss was brighter than SW but the colors in the SW are more saturated, overall the image is very enjoyable in both. The image produced by the Zeiss is slightly better as there are no signs of CA.

Zeiss is very ergonomic but the SW is just perfect - even with the 10x it is easy to hold them steady. Eyecups are better in the SW as well.

Focus is a large difference, for in flight the Zeiss is way better due to its faster focus, the SW on the other hand is more tollerant.

To me both are excellent and I am very happy to own one of them, it would be difficult to choose from - I might as well pick blindfolded, both are just very good.
Have you seen Holger's review of the 8x32's. http://www.holgermerlitz.de/8x32/test8x32.html

Zeiss 8x32 Victory FL

A compact binocular with very good insight. The picture is far, bright and contrasty. In his correction of the CA Zeiss is on par with the Nikon EDG and just behind the Kowa, at the edge sharpness, it is about on par with the Swarovski EL, but is beaten by Nikon EDG. Among all the candidates the Zeiss provides the cleanest picture very bright objects in the night (lantern test). The eyecups lock in 4 positions, the dual focuser runs precise, yet accessible, although the over-stroke is concise. The plastic body of the Zeiss has advantages in cold weather, because he feels warmer than many conventional metal housing. Should be noted, the strap with clip closure which can be removed easily. Overall, the Zeiss lies in its optical power just behind the Nikon EDG and is due to its lower weight, a good alternative, on a higher level than the Leica.

Here is another review from by Roger Vine http://scopeviews.co.uk/Zeiss8x32FL.htm

Last edited:
Made my very first (similar sized) comparison today - a friend from our neighbours came to visit from Scotland and brought his Swarovski EL 10x32 along.

Great you got to compare the two great x32 bins. Was that the EL 8x32 the pre SV model? The SV 8x32 does exhibit some CA close to the edges.

Great you got to compare the two great x32 bins. Was that the EL 8x32 the pre SV model? The SV 8x32 does exhibit some CA close to the edges.

It was in fact an EL 10x32, 9 years old - not the SV model. I was indeed very lucky as I basically never looked through a high end binocular before. The guy from Scotland however is more of an expert and a real bird fanatic (he also makes wonderfull pictures of eagles which have nested in his village in Scotland).

I think the most important thing is that everybody who likes nature in general needs to have one pair of decent binoculars, the difference is just huge.

I think you made a great choice, I also own the Zeiss FL*T 8x32 and very happy with the performance...I have a "new" pair of SV 8x32's on the way, and looking forward to comparing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back