• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something for the collector/identifier (1 Viewer)

That is very interesting, thanks. I reckon the IWM could make a better effort to describe some of the binoculars, but I guess their main interest is where they were used. And I'm really surprised HMS Kent still had such an ancient binocular on board during the Falklands conflict.

I spent many long days going through their archive material and each day found some amazing things completely unknown to me.

I think that I only had to pay for copies that were made for me that I wanted to study further.

I think there was mention of 3 Zeiss 30cm refracting binoculars on huge altazimuth mounts for long distance observation.

Also monster Leitz lenses.

The classified stuff is probably in the main declassified by now, so there must be even more available, which I could not see in the 1980s.

They have so much material I think it would take many lifetimes to go through it all.

Ben,
I think the radar used on the Vulcans during the Falklands campaign might be the H2S possibly from the 1940s?
Also mechanical computers for position and aiming.
They had to collect items from museums to get the Vulcans operational again.
I think one part was used as an ash tray.
They had to do things in weeks that would have taken years.

The torpedoes may have been 1940s also.

I actually was asked to give a firm ancient TTH lenses in exchange for more modern Wild lenses, as nobody else seemed to have any.

The Shuttle people in the U.S.A. had to find computer parts from surplus stores.

And surplus stores in the U.K. were asked to sell back lenses as new ones were a quarter million each. That is a million in today's money.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back