• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Mastermind number 12 (1 Viewer)

Now for a big clue. The birds in the hand were all photographed in Hoylake, Merseyside (despite the Chester Post code Tim).

Bird three was caught at the same time as bird 1 and is protographed in the same light.

1)Whitethroat
2)Common Tern
3)Garden Warbler
4)Red-backed Shrike
5)Booted Warbler(though it looks nothing like one,but then Blyth's Reed and Eastern Olly would seem to have been incorrect:looks most like former to me)
Harry H

Last stab...some of the more recent "clues" have only confused me more...
1. Subalpine Warbler (can`t be Spectacled because of location)
2. Common Tern
3. River Warbler??? (Just doesn`t like like a Garden Warbler to me)
4. Isabelline Shrike
5. Reed Warbler (can`t be Blyths Reed on location again - part of me is tempted by Melodious Warbler - if there was only a hint of green colour to it!)

Harry has nailed the main 4 once more.

1. Whitethroat... but a strange one. Possibly icterops, but to be honest probably not. Its a 1st summer male anyhow.

2. Common Tern, Juv - 1st winter in Santander harbour, Spain

3. Is the bird than confuses most experienced birders when shown to the in the hand. Its just a Garden Warbler and photographed in similarly red light to the Whitethroat.

4. I a Juv, freshly fledged Red-Backed Shrike. I was hoping the reddness of the tail and the presence of down might convince a few people it was a juv Issy, which does have a little bit more barring on the mantle than the jobs we get here I believe.

5. Well there is a story to 5. ..... a long one.

Any more guesses before I spill the beans

Bird number 5 was caught at Red Rocks while I was on Holiday.. hang on I'll get out the ringing records and get this bang on... on Sept 4th 1975. I actually wish I could go back and see it, it looks like one hell of a bird.

It was the only unstreaked acro caught that year, well except the Great-reed Warbler caught in May ;) Several very experienced birder and ringers measured the bird up and pronounced that it was Cheshire's first Marsh Warbler, a first winter. Let's be honest with a wing forumla to match Marsh and that grey/olive colour, who would argue?

The following spring the bird was retrapped, not in Worcestershire in a patch of rank nettles, but on the Dee. Actually at Shotton Steelworks, in a large Phragmites reed-bed. The ringers there thought nothing of it and processed it as a Reed Warbler. As though to rub the point in, that bird was retrapped for a further 7 years, setting I believe the longevity record for Reed Warbler.

I wonder if it was a fuscus displaced in its first autumn? Unfortunately it was not photograhed in later captures.

Again I did mix up the english names I thought of the bird you call river warbler, and had the wrong name in my head -grasshopper warbler-
Well it wouldn´t have amounted to anything-I was wrong nevertheless...
I suppose there s no easy trick for learning the enlglish names...

Stay with Gernrman an make us worth harder ;)

How does German work for abbreviations?

Eg If I were lucky enough to stumble across a Lanceolated Warbler Locustella lanceolata rather than shout out the mouthfull "Lanceolated Warbler" I'd say "Lancie"...actually I'd probably mumble a incoherent string of expletives if past history is any guide!

No, I´d like to know the English names also, sometimes they are much more nicer, for example for the Anas ducks.

But some things are really confusing, eg. in the gulls

Heringsmöwe is Lesser Blackbacked Gull (Larus fuscus)
Silbermöwe is Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)

Mediterranean Gull is Schwarzkopfmöwe (translated,that means black-headed gull) (Larus Melanocephalus)
Lachmöwe is Blackheaded Gull (Larus ridibundus) (Lachen is laughing in German)
Yellowlegged Gull is Mittelmeermöwe (L. michahellis) ( Mittelmeer meaning Mediterranean Sea)
And your Laughing gull is Larus atricilla-Atztekenmöwe in German

You see the chaos... ;)

I just need some of these afterwards B :) B :) B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back