• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cataracts, anyone? (1 Viewer)

hgalbraith

I have recently been diagnosed as having cataracts developing in both eyes. After 50 years of relying on acute eyesight for spotting birds, this is a blow to me. I am actually noticing the effect already when I look thru optics (areas of softer, more hazy focus) and this is magnification dependent, with it becoming more pronounced at higher mags. My doctor tells me that I need to start thinking about replacement surgery. Kind of wigs me out, although people tell me that it is no big deal. My question to you all is has anyone had this surgery done and able to compare visual acuity and performance (including with optics) before and after the operation? Any observations welcome.

H

I have recently been diagnosed as having cataracts developing in both eyes. After 50 years of relying on acute eyesight for spotting birds, this is a blow to me. I am actually noticing the effect already when I look thru optics (areas of softer, more hazy focus) and this is magnification dependent, with it becoming more pronounced at higher mags. My doctor tells me that I need to start thinking about replacement surgery. Kind of wigs me out, although people tell me that it is no big deal. My question to you all is has anyone had this surgery done and able to compare visual acuity and performance (including with optics) before and after the operation? Any observations welcome.

H

I had cataracts diagnosed at age 53...at age 59 progressed to the point of medical necessary removals! Had my lenses replaced 2.5 years ago, it truly was easy and quick (for me). My far vision has gone from 20\600 to 20\15 and the lenses I got (Restore) also give me 20\20 reading vision!! :t:

Optics before=PITB trying to get steady\descent eye relief...:-C

Optics after=YEA, much easier to bring oculars up to eye sockets and gain an immediate clear sight picture!!!:king:

Ted

Ted

Hi there H,
Luckily I haven't needed anything done as I only have tiny cataracts.
The higher magnification problem is likely due to the smaller exit pupil and the cataracts occupying more of the view.
Some folks here have had surgery.
Usually the results are very good, and I think that also any yellowing of the eye is reduced.

It is normally an age related thing and also related to cumulative Sun exposure.

It is also useful to know your pupil sizes in different light levels.

H

Am a keen birder who developed cataracts in each eye which got considerably worse over time before I had operations. I was previously short sided and am now long sighted. The transformation was amazing as birds became much brighter and white plumage Ie house Martin became Persil White (uk detergent ad) instead of very dull.

Still find I have to wear sun glasses when before I didn't use so often. Much better at finding birds in the sky now.

Took time afterwards for eyes to settle but most definitely worth it and the difference is startling. The only birds which looked better before are barn owls and drake goosander which were better with the yellower tinge.

if you want to ask me anything persific send me a pm.

Joan

I was treated for cataracts in the 1990s. I was somewhat nearsighted then and wore corrective lenses and was using bifocals. My non dominant left eye was treated first and I became 20/15 in that eye so I had my left lens changed to reflect that.

I was so happy with how well I could see out of my left eye that I began using it by itself to look at distant objects and as a result I ended up with muscle imbalance between my two eyes. The best way I can describe this problem is to say it was like my eyes were out of collimation if I rolled them up or down to look at something!

Later I had the cataract in my right eye removed and was given an implant that made me 20/25 and this muscle imbalance problem went away. Now I do not use bifocals and I found that I need reading glasses with a 1.25 diopter for normal reading.

Bob

It's not a big deal, and you will be able to see like a mountain sheep afterwards. (assuming that you don't have other problems)

I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Get the fixed implants NOT the fancy "multi-focal" or whatever they call them.

Good luck.

Cataracts - what cataracts?

To update everyone on this issue. By the time that I was contemplating cataract surgery my vision was seriously impaired. Not only that, but it was impossible to use my Swarovski and Leica bins. So, I have bitten the bullet and had the surgery in both eyes. End of problem - I now have clear, sharp 20.20 vision in both eyes (without the complications of glasses or contacts). The procedure was quick and painless. Looking through my bins now is nothing short of miraculous.

To update everyone on this issue. By the time that I was contemplating cataract surgery my vision was seriously impaired. Not only that, but it was impossible to use my Swarovski and Leica bins. So, I have bitten the bullet and had the surgery in both eyes. End of problem - I now have clear, sharp 20.20 vision in both eyes (without the complications of glasses or contacts). The procedure was quick and painless. Looking through my bins now is nothing short of miraculous.

Alleluia...Congrats on your new found vision!!! o:D B :)

Ted

Believe me, nobody will ever buy any binocular that can give one the WOW effect you will experience after cataract surgery gives you 20/20 vision!:king:

Especially if you never had 20/20 vision before!:bounce:

Bob o:D

Wonderful news.

Lee

cataracts and western medicine

Living in a particularly "Hippyish" state like Vermont, I hear lots of folks railing against the shortcomings of "Western Medicine" and boosting some vague talk about the advantages of more "holistic" treatments. I am sure that in some cases they may be right. However, this latest surgery is the second time in 5 years that I have found myself extolling western medicine. The first was 5 years ago when I had a heart attack and found myself on an operating table having two two stents fitted. Not only that, but I could watch the internal process on a TV monitor next to the table! A bit weird but also stunning. The ultimate reality TV. My heart problems are now in the rearview mirror. Now this... how anyone was able to develop the technology that resulted in the miracle of my restored (and better) vision is way beyond a mere ecologist like me. I am so thankful.

Hector

The link below is to an article by two astronomers detailing problems that can happen with cataract surgery.

http://www.sff.net/people/j.oltion/Cataracts_and_Astronomers.htm
Second time I've randomly run-into this link. Really should be stickied somewhere because this is invaluable info going into cataract surgery, whether an astronomer or other hobby involving optics. I don't stargaze much, but I'd hate to think one surgery would ruin it.

I don't have cataracts (yet), but definitely want this info handy when I do!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back