• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopro HD 8x32 vs Conquest and Kowa options (1 Viewer)

Inquisitor

Hi,

This has likely been done to death.

Does the price jump from the MeoPro HD to the Conquest 8x32 and Genesis 8x33 actually get you a noticeably better instrument optically or just a better build and cooler logo?

I have seen the MeoPro HD and know that I could live with and enjoy them (if I got a good sample) and that they are actually a fair bit sharper and have less CA than the Cabela's Euro/MeoStar HD 8x32 I once had.

The other two are unseen mythical black boxes supported by the voices in my head whispering "you get what you pay for."

I will never use them enough to go past $1K and I have a 8x42 HT for when I am serious about glassing.

What is your recommendation of these three? I can afford the higher ones I guess but would prefer not unless we can be certain that there is a marked improvement to be had.

Hi,

Does the price jump from the MeoPro HD to the Conquest 8x32 and Genesis 8x33 actually get you a noticeably better instrument optically or just a better build and cooler logo?

I have seen the MeoPro HD and know that I could live with and enjoy them (if I got a good sample) and that they are actually a fair bit sharper and have less CA than the Cabela's Euro/MeoStar HD 8x32 I once had.

The other two are unseen mythical black boxes supported by the voices in my head whispering "you get what you pay for."

I will never use them enough to go past $1K and I have a 8x42 HT for when I am serious about glassing.

What is your recommendation of these three? I can afford the higher ones I guess but would prefer not unless we can be certain that there is a marked improvement to be had.
I have compared those three and I always thought the Conquest 8x32 HD had a slight edge in optics although the other two are good. If you don't mind a small, lighter(25 oz.) 8x42 try a Trac Toric 8x42. They are only $650.00 and they are a little brighter and sharper than the Conquest HD and with it's slimmer body it has better ergo's. The physical dimensions of the Toric 8x42 aren't much bigger than the Conquest HD either. You can try them and return them if you don't like them very easily also.

Last edited:
Inquisitor, post 1,
I have published an extensive test of the Meopta 8x32 Meopro on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. My conclusion was that it is a good binocular both for handling comfort and for optical quality for an attractive price of 499 euros.
Gijs van Ginkel

You do get a better instrument with the Conquest HD. It is brighter and sharper than the Meopro HD (and better than the Meostar HD too). Even my wife can tell the difference, and she is not nearly into binoculars like I am (she confiscated what used to be my 8x32 Conquest HD).

The Meopro HD does handle nicely, and has a smoother focus wheel than the four Meostar examples that I have tried. Almost as good as the Conquest HD, really.

Whether or not the extra price of the Zeiss is worth it is something only you can answer.

I have not tried the 8x32 Kowa, but I can tell you that the 10x32 is pretty darn good.......

Gotta' be honest, I wasn't impressed by either the Meopro HD (which I keep in my work truck) or the Conquest HD (a model I have seen and tried often for extended periods both in store and in the field), both of which showed too much CA and just didn't seem to provide the apparent sharpness of others. The Zeiss also seemed... bulky, I suppose, for an 8x32.

The Kowa, if anything like the 8.5x44, is a stellar instrument - optically on par with alphas especially with regard to microcontrast and CA control which, to my eyes, caused it to just show a tack sharp image.

Hello Inquisitor.

I agree with your comment that the Meopro HD is a bit sharper than the Meostar, and also better with CA. Versus the Conquest HD, I'd judge them to have similar sharpness on axis, but the Conquest HD has a larger sweet spot and less astigmatism as you approach the edge of the field. I'd also note that the Meopro HD's handling of glare can be problematic. I've never tried the Kowa, so I can't comment on that one.

I am afraid my experience is only with the Conquest 10x32 and the Kowa 10x33. I found the Kowa to that little bit sharper which combined with the lighter weight (only 1.5oz), slightly more compact form and perhaps better build quality. The differences in size and weight hold for the 8x form factor.

Inquisitor, post 1,
I have published an extensive test of the Meopta 8x32 Meopro on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. My conclusion was that it is a good binocular both for handling comfort and for optical quality for an attractive price of 499 euros.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you. That was a good consumer roundup and review kind of report and I was pleased to read it.

I do wish you had space to detail the image quality a bit more but such was not the design of the article.

I see that you mentioned slightly higher transmission in the MeoPro than the Terra. This is good but it sets us up to assume that in a different price bracket that the Conquest would handily beat the MeoPro in transmission?

I have compared those three and I always thought the Conquest 8x32 HD had a slight edge in optics although the other two are good. If you don't mind a small, lighter(25 oz.) 8x42 try a Trac Toric 8x42. They are only $650.00 and they are a little brighter and sharper than the Conquest HD and with it's slimmer body it has better ergo's. The physical dimensions of the Toric 8x42 aren't much bigger than the Conquest HD either. You can try them and return them if you don't like them very easily also.
I would be very interested but this purchase needs to happen through Eagle due to some credit there. Thanks

PhilR, #4

The Kowa 10x33 that you know should handle just like the 8x33 i am interested in. Given that, which body and ergos do you prefer between the Kowa and Conquest?

Jremmons, #5

I was reading around the forums and saw where you were initially fairly pleased with the MeoPro HD when you got it in February 2016. What experiences have soured your opinion?

Do you no longer rate them a hair above the Vipers?

Hello Inquisitor.

I agree with your comment that the Meopro HD is a bit sharper than the Meostar, and also better with CA. Versus the Conquest HD, I'd judge them to have similar sharpness on axis, but the Conquest HD has a larger sweet spot and less astigmatism as you approach the edge of the field. I'd also note that the Meopro HD's handling of glare can be problematic. I've never tried the Kowa, so I can't comment on that one.

How do you like the ergos? It seems the conquests are considered clunky for 8x32. Btw, the strap lug on the MeoPro is a bit irritating to me. Does this bother you?
I am blessed to have a 8x42 HT so I am a little uncertain if I need to spend the extra $400 for the conquests since this pair will be used rougher than I have the stones to do with my HT.

You seem quite alarmed at the poor handling of stray light and glare in the MeoPro. Is this as severe as what is found in the little Nikon Monarch 7 8x30?

I am afraid my experience is only with the Conquest 10x32 and the Kowa 10x33. I found the Kowa to that little bit sharper which combined with the lighter weight (only 1.5oz), slightly more compact form and perhaps better build quality. The differences in size and weight hold for the 8x form factor.

Thank you, it seems fairly certain (based on reading)that with the exception of some of the very first units that the Kowas are a tiny bit sharper and with less CA. I keep reading about a field that is flat enough to cause rolling ball (not super concerning) and a wierd trick where it loses focus at around 70-90% out from the middle and snaps back into focus at the very edge. That would probably bother me a lot if it looked like rings in my view.

Have you observed either issue in the 10x33?

Hi,

Inquisitor,

I am one that was never impressed with the euro/meostar hd 8x32 both in optics and ergonomics which seems to go against the grain of consensus input on this forum... I own the conquest hd 8x32 and have been content with it. It just seems to work well for me. I've never handled a genesis but others on the forum argue it is a hair sharper than the conquest HD. Both are heavier and the conquest HD is not as small and has eyecups that don't move very smoothly so I leave mine extended all the time.

Not sure what your looking to gain with this purchase already having an HT 8x42. If you are looking for something smaller that has decent optics and doesn't cost too much, give the Maven B3 8x30 a try. They will send a demo unit so you don't have to buy before you try.

CG

Inquisitor, post 8,
Transmissions of the Zeiss Conquest 8x32; 500nm=88,9%, 550 nm=91,5%, price approx. 800 euro
Meopta Meopro 8x32: 500 nm=87,2%, 550 nm=89,5%, price approx. 500 euro

Most likely you will not see a difference in brightnes between the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 and the Meopta Meopro 8x32, since the transmission differences are small,
Gijs van Ginkel

PhilR, #4

The Kowa 10x33 that you know should handle just like the 8x33 i am interested in. Given that, which body and ergos do you prefer between the Kowa and Conquest?

I don't prefer one over the other. They both do things a bit differently, but one does not stand out over the other.

I know that is not what you are hoping to read, but both of them are very competent binoculars.....

Inquisitor, post 8,
Transmissions of the Zeiss Conquest 8x32; 500nm=88,9%, 550 nm=91,5%, price approx. 800 euro
Meopta Meopro 8x32: 500 nm=87,2%, 550 nm=89,5%, price approx. 500 euro

Most likely you will not see a difference in brightnes between the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 and the Meopta Meopro 8x32, since the transmission differences are small,
Gijs van Ginkel

Excellent, thanks!

Hard objective numbers are reassuring in a discussion like this; as are the findings of level headed users.

I know it is up to my eyes and wallet but the kicker is the inability to take them all for a test drive. These kind of discussions help me decide what to take a gamble on.

I don't prefer one over the other. They both do things a bit differently, but one does not stand out over the other.

I know that is not what you are hoping to read, but both of them are very competent binoculars.....

You are very calm and diplomatic. I hear...."They are both good and there is no "best," only different. Buy what you like"

As a form follows function guy it is hard for me to know what I even like until I figure out some way to rank performance and function against price.

Thanks...I know it is risky to tell someone else what their eys and hands will prefer.

Cycleguy,

I publicly confess that I am not enjoying my HT as much as I should. It turns out that I spend more time fussing and worrying about them being damaged or stolen than I anticpated. They are also a bit large and heavy. I have moved from 10x50 to 8x42 and apparently on my way to 8x32 as I experience the reality of carrying time vs looking time. They are indeed wonderful but not life changing in anyway.

I actually find the Nikon M7 8x30 with me far more due to size and the carefree utilitarian attitude I can adopt when traveling with them. If I had something just a fuzz sharper and some less glare I would be in good shape for most of what I actually do.

It seems the purchase of the HT was fueled by daydreams of rare creatures in minimal light.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back