• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White or Pied Wagtail? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
I scoped this bird at a farm today and am in two minds about the identity. The grey back leads me to think it could be a White Wagtail. Can anyone eludicate on this for me?

Attachments

• poss.jpg
    poss.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 388
Second Picture.

Here is the second picture showing a different posture.

Attachments

• poss02.jpg
    poss02.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 386
I'm not certain about the difference either Andrew. Whilst in Scotland last year, I saw what I thought at the time was one of each, side by side. In hindsight it may just have been a male and female.

The differences are too subtle for me, especially with the different seasonal plumages of both species. I'd hazard a guess that yours is a White Wagtail, but I just tend to name them all the same.

It's certainly a Pied Wagtail (yarrelli) White Wagtails are almost silver on the back and are much brighter birds than Pied. One thing to look for if you're not sure is to check the flanks - if they have any grey on them- it's a Pied.

White Wagtail is one of those birds which you know when you see!!!

Darn!! Thanks for all confirming what I thought. I did feel it was a Pied but some doubt crept into me so I will need to adjust my Pieds from two to three birds. It would have been a lifer.

The border between the black nape and mantle was not sharp enough for me.

Darrell, That is the reason I had doubt. I did not know it when I saw it as with many other birds.

Knowing the vagaries of birding I will probably see my first White tomorrow!

Hi Andrew,
As far as I can see,I have to agree with Darrell,I'm afraid:it's a female Pied Wagtail.White should look a lot cleaner below and paler grey above.
I'm sure you will see a White Wagtail before too long,and hope that you enjoy it.BTW,it wouldn't be a lifer for you technically,as the form is(currently)a subspecies of Pied(more exactly,Pied is a subspecies of White!):however,a split may be forthcoming...;-)
Harry

Andrew,

White Wagtails should be moving through your part of Devon at the moment - though September is better - then you will see them everywhere. I find cowfields one of the best places to look for them - Exminster marshes should be a good bet.

Darrell

Many thanks for the information Harry and Darrell. I know a good field with cowpats all over it. It holds excellent numbers of Swallows annd House Martins too in the summer. I shall study this field keenly and pay a visit to Exminster soon.

Andrew,
Pavlik has posted an excellent photo of White Wagtail in the gallery. He has called it Pied Wagtail - which technically it is, but as the photo was taken in Russia it has to be of the race alba. Here you can see how silver the mantle is and how white the flanks are when compared to our Pied Wags.

Darrell

Going there now . .. . . .. Yes there is a very sharp contrast between the black nape and grey mantle. Now I realise there is a markedly strong enough difference to 'know one when you see one'.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back