• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Just went to High Ash Farm for a visit, relatively quiet, but hundreds of hirundines and swifts being monitored by a hobby, some great butterflies and bees also! What is interesting about the place is that it is being managed specifically for wildlife with vast fields planted for insects and winter bird food. Looking forward for a winter trip as apparently they get great sized flocks of mixed finch- redpoll and bullfinch in good numbers also! Anyway worth a visit if you like your insects too! Some quite interesting Roman just off site as well
!

https://www.facebook.com/Highashfarm

Well, the warden at Cley has had a great year; the marsh was superb throughout the Spring with a displaying Great Snipe, some Temminck's, a Lesser Yellowlegs and lots of Ruff and Blackwits all attracted to the reserve. Recent excavations have been undertaken on Pats Pool and the water is once again flooding back on in time for the main onset of autumn wader passage. Well done Bernie. It's just a shame you didn't give as much attention to your runner beans...

On a less serious note, these two little crackers were feeding on the saline pool between the Little Eye and the Beach Road carpark at Salthouse this afternoon, totally non-plussed by the presence of my colleague and I...

James

Attachments

• DSCF0383.JPG
    DSCF0383.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Knot, Salthouse - 15.08.2011.JPG
    Knot, Salthouse - 15.08.2011.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 246
Titchwell August 16th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 4 (1juv) on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 80 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 3 juvs on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck – female offshore
Turtle dove – 1 south

Paul

Titchwell August 17th

Today’s highlights

Long tailed duck – female offshore
Curlew sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 4 west @ 16:00
Greater flamingo – escaped bird on fresh marsh all day

Paul

Titchwell August 18th

Today’s highlights

Buff breasted sandpiper – adult dropped into the fresh marsh with the rain mid-afternoon showing to 10ft from the Parrinder Hide
Curlew sandpiper – 3 (2 ads) on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh briefly
Dunlin – 150 on fresh marsh
Ringed plover – 50 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 2 on saltmarsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Swift – 3 over reedbed

Paul

Today’s highlights

Buff breasted sandpiper – adult dropped into the fresh marsh with the rain mid-afternoon showing to 10ft from the Parrinder Hide
Curlew sandpiper – 3 (2 ads) on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh briefly
Dunlin – 150 on fresh marsh
Ringed plover – 50 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 2 on saltmarsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Swift – 3 over reedbed

Paul

Might try and go after the birdfair. How long would it take to drive there?

Looks like I will be probably be giving the Bird Fair a miss tomorrow and go on Saturday!!!!! Just home from work and now going birding (not what I had planned this evening!) Greenish Warbler and Wryneck at Halfway House as well!!!! Rares are not supposed to turn up until AFTER the Bird Fair!!!;)

Does anyone know if today's Ruddy Shelduck has been around the Broads a while? It was with Greylags on stubble at Potter Heigham this evening...

James

Hi James. Was there not a Ruddy Shelduck at Buckenham this summer? Enjoying the company of some Egyptian Geese? Just thinking aloud,hopefully someone will plug the gaps.
Congrats to the finder of the Greenish today; should be some grounded migrants in the morning.
Cheers,
Jim.

I received a phone call to say that the Buff breasted Sandpiper was showing down to 1 metre in front of Parrinder Hide, so left Tescos, flew home, dumped shopping and sped to Titchwell, arriving and walking along the bank by 6.50pm. Was extremely annoyed to hear that the Buff breasted Sandpiper had not been seen since 5.45pm and flew south towards fields at Choseley.:-C

Scrapping Bird Fair tomorrow and going hard core birding, dawn to dusk!!!;):t:

Had a trundle around Happisburgh and Waxham this morning. Got to say it was pretty quiet,save for a smattering of Lesser Whitethroat. Main points of interest were a Drinker moth found in the dunes;what a beast! Also a new butterfly for me on the clifftops at happisburgh,an Essex Skipper. 2 Wall Brown showed well,1 sunning itself on a pillbox before 9am! Now off to birdfair,someone else will have to do a better job at the migrant hunting after my failure this morning!
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:
Mega Day!!!!

Gun Hill, Burnham Overy Dunes, Holkham and Titchwell.

Started off at Gun Hill at 7.15am. Found a WRYNECK on the seaward side of Gun Hill at 9.40am!!!! Riddled with common and lesser whitethroats and meadow pipits.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back