• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SV 8x32 Traveler FieldPro (1 Viewer)

I agree with you about anyone using a 10x50 as their everyday main binocular.
They are nice to look through, but too big and heavy and the performance of a
quality 10x42 is much the same.

That is why 42mm binoculars are the biggest seller.

Jerry
No, the 10x50 SV is way different than a 10x42. I have had many 10x42's and honestly I never cared for any of them that much. I had trouble holding them steady and they always seemed a little finicky ,as far as, eye placement. The bigger exit pupil on the 10x50 makes a huge difference in easy eye placement and comfort. Of course the 50mm is better in low light than a 42mm. Where the 10x50 SV shines is in the balance of the binocular. It doesn't FEEL like a 50mm when you use it. It feels more like a 42mm in weight. The big thing that makes it so outstanding is the AFOV. It is HUGE for a 10x50. So you have this extremely detailed close up 10x view with a BIG FOV on top of it and edges that are sharp right to the field stop. The result is this amazing immersive field of view that is right on top of the bird. It is a WOW binocular if there ever was one.

Dennis:

Yes, the market does tell it all. The 10x42 EL Swarovision is the most popular size that Swarovski
sells in this model.

They sell the 10x42 10:1 over the 10x50.

You can now settle down, and just enjoy your 10x50, I am thinking it is a great binocular also.

Jerry

Dennis:

Yes, the market does tell it all. The 10x42 EL Swarovision is the most popular size that Swarovski
sells in this model.

You can now settle down, and just enjoy your 10x50, I am thinking it is a great binocular also.

Jerry
Popularity or sales doesn't mean the best for you. Nikon Monarch's are probably the best selling binoculars in the world but they are definitely not the best. Choosing a binocular all depends on YOUR priorities. 10x42's are popular because they perform well and are a manageable size for a lot of people especially hunters. For me personally my priority is the optics. Generally because of a lot of physical laws a bigger aperture binocular is going to perform better giving the same quality glass and coatings. Hence people that like OPTICS like say Henry Link are going to have big aperture binoculars. I believe he has a Zeiss 8x56 FL and he went into much detail why it performs better than an 8x42 FL. Most normal people won't carry a binocular that big. My point is is the SV 10x50 is for optics lovers. A 10x50 WILL outperform a 10x42. There is no question. But you have to appreciate the better view to carry the extra weight. To most people good enough is good enough. That is why the 10x42 is popular. The difference between a 10x42 and a 10x50 in performance is not HUGE but it is there. The 10x50 is an easier view and it is brighter under low light conditions. If that is worth it to you to carry the extra weight and size only you can decide. To me it is but I also have an 8x32 SV if I want something lighter for hiking. But the big binocular will give you the ultimate view there is no doubt about that. Aperture rules.

Last edited:
Popularity or sales doesn't mean the best. Nikon Monarch's are probably the best selling binoculars in the world but they are definitely not the best.

Dennis:

This thread is about the 8x32 SV. It is not about the best, but you
are up to your old tricks. ;) Not sure how a 10x50 got even a mention
in this one.

The Nikon Monarchs may be the best bang for the buck, and I can agree
with that.

Jerry

Dennis:

This thread is about the 8x32 SV. It is not about the best, but you
are up to your old tricks. ;) Not sure how a 10x50 got even a mention
in this one.

The Nikon Monarchs may be the best bang for the buck, and I can agree
with that.

Jerry
"This thread is about the 8x32 SV. It is not about the best."

They are the one of the best 8x32's aren't they? I think that is what the thread is about.

Dennis:

sells in this model.

Jerry

That doesn't mean anything except people follow trends.
I don't give a hoot what's the most popular bin or most popular
magnification, etc. I go with what's the best personal fit for me.
I think only some people do this while many others read marketing
mumbo jumbo or a review that states 10x is the best and such and such
model is the best and they go right out and buy it while there may be something
else that could be a better fit for them. That's how most people make their bino purchases and probably don't have the patience to test out several bins. Also, they aren't as OCD as the rest of us :)

btw...10x is popular among hunters and not as popular among birders.

I'd argue that 10x is probably almost just as popular for birding outside of the members of this forum. I see more 10x42 Vortex Viper and 10x42 Nikon Monarch on properties I've worked/managed than anything else.

I very rarely see anything above 42mm obj. lenses, though.

I'd argue that 10x is probably almost just as popular for birding outside of the members of this forum. I see more 10x42 Vortex Viper and 10x42 Nikon Monarch on properties I've worked/managed than anything else.

I have the opposite experience. I see many more 8's than I do 10's.
At the sports shop down the street they have bins in the hunting section and most are 10's...just a couple of 8's in the display case. At the Auubon nature store most are 8's with just a few 10's in the display case.

I wonder if Hunter/Birders , those that do both activities , use the same power for both or if they use separate binos for each. 10x doesn't seem ideal for woodland birding IMO.

I think if I lived out in Iowa or someplace much more open then I might be using a 10x primarily.

10x is by far the most popular magnification for hunters especially out west in open country. You have to be an optics nut probably to appreciate a 50mm.

I have the opposite experience. I see many more 8's than I do 10's.
At the sports shop down the street they have bins in the hunting section and most are 10's...just a couple of 8's in the display case. At the Auubon nature store most are 8's with just a few 10's in the display case.

I wonder if Hunter/Birders , those that do both activities , use the same power for both or if they use separate binos for each. 10x doesn't seem ideal for woodland birding IMO.

I think if I lived out in Iowa or someplace much more open then I might be using a 10x primarily.

In my experience its the same over here with 8x being by far the most common magnification I see. I wouldn't know about hunters.
I use 8x for my main glass but on the Scottish islands, with big seascapes and landscapes I use 10x as many times as my 8x.

I don't think I have ever, in 40+ years, seen anything bigger than 42mm.

Lee

In the wide open country I hunt/bird watch, the 10x50SV offers an absolutely astounding view, especially when using them on a tripod.

10x is certainly more popular with hunters in my neck of the woods. However, I spot just as many deer with my 8x bins as my 10x's. The only reason I use the 10x more for hunting is because it has an inbuilt range finding function. For birding I use the 8x32 more because of it's lighter weight.

I see a fair amount of 10x42s where I've worked/work, in particular Nikon Monarchs and Vortex Vipers. In the upper range, I still see a lot of 10x42 ELs, but the 8.5x42 is probably more common. I almost never see the x32mm models.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back