• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (8 Viewers)

Simon, Rob and Dennis

You've all added some great images to this thread recently, thanks - they're much-appreciated.

Sy

Thanks Sy. If there are any specific species that you would like to see posted please ask & I will see what I can find. I don't have much in the way of real rarities though.

Rob

Aye up guys,

Been away at Spurn for the last week or so and so have just caught up with the thread.

Two posts that grab my attention was the possible Corn Bunt from Mark here;

This dropped into the flashes around 11.30 Monday. It only stayed a minute or so, and as I had my camera in my hand took 3 quick shots. Only revisited the shots last night.

Looks pretty good for a juv Corn Bunt IMO and I'm suprised at the lack of discussion on a potential Upton MEGA!!!

Also the photos of the Black Terns, I'm guessing that the birds with the dusky flanks in these photos are adults moulting out rather than juv surinamensis?

Some record shots of the ten Black Terns at the Moors today.

Also noted: Common Snipe 1 Curlew 11 Pochard 3 Kingfisher 1 Water Rail 1 Green Woodpecker 1 Jay 1

Rob

Any more larger photos Rob?

Gull looking like smaller LBB at Moors with blue leg ring on left leg. Orange code HYY. Small metal ring right leg. I know its possible to get info from somewhere but dont know how. Help appreciated. Will upload pic when I get home.

Rob.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• Web Gull With Ring.jpg
    Web Gull With Ring.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Web Gull With Ring 2.jpg
    Web Gull With Ring 2.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Aye up guys,

Been away at Spurn for the last week or so and so have just caught up with the thread.

Two posts that grab my attention was the possible Corn Bunt from Mark here;

Looks pretty good for a juv Corn Bunt IMO and I'm suprised at the lack of discussion on a potential Upton MEGA!!!

Also the photos of the Black Terns, I'm guessing that the birds with the dusky flanks in these photos are adults moulting out rather than juv surinamensis?

Any more larger photos Rob?

I will see what I can find & post one.

Rob

dear john!

the pics of terns as requested. bit distant so cropped down hope there usefull.

Attachments

• DSC04773.jpg
    DSC04773.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC04774.jpg
    DSC04774.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC04775.jpg
    DSC04775.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04781.jpg
    DSC04781.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 86
had these down beach at yarmouth y'day.

well the 1st three the long eared is the belvide bird.

Attachments

• DSC04828.jpg
    DSC04828.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC04839.jpg
    DSC04839.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04862.jpg
    DSC04862.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC04565.jpg
    DSC04565.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 101
Tuesday work party at Moors 4th Oct 2011 1st part

Another well attended session, well done all 12 of us.
Achieved a hell of a lot today.
1. The view from the west hide (feeding station) has been limited on both the north and south sides. Last month we pollarded the willow close to the hide (south). Today Ray C and Dave H manned the boat and coppiced the willows in the sluice basin and SW marsh. This not only improved the views to the south but also stops the marsh plants being impoverished.
2. The north view was impeded by the excellent scrubby area between the two west hides. However this area has not been managed for a few years and was past its peak with many bushes becoming 'leggy'. In order to improve the flora and fauna in this area, we coppiced/pollarded many of the thorn bushes today. They were predominantly blackthorns whose berries are unpalatable to many birds. The hawthorns will be cut once the birds have eaten the berries. The spindle bush was left untouched (as this species doesn't benefit as much from hard cutting). The bushes will be cut to varying heights to give a structural diversity. This technique is on a rotational basis of 3 to 5 years, it might appear drastic, but be assured it is a tried and tested traditional method of coppicing.
Pics 1 and 2 view north after and before , sorry about that arse about face
3 and 4 view south before and after work today.

Attachments

• 1. view b4 work from west hide looking north.jpg
    1. view b4 work from west hide looking north.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.view north from west hide afta work 4th Oct 11.jpg
    2.view north from west hide afta work 4th Oct 11.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 94
  • b4 willows removed from sluice basin 4oct 11.jpg
    b4 willows removed from sluice basin 4oct 11.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 79
  • view south from west hide afta willos removed 4th Oct 11.jpg
    view south from west hide afta willos removed 4th Oct 11.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
the pics of terns as requested. bit distant so cropped down hope there usefull.

Cheers Trace
one of the birds in pic 2 looks like its got a dark secondary bar it might be a trick of the light, also the underwing primary tips on pic 3 look defused and are not clear cut. This would indicate that one of the birds could well have been a common . I know Robs pics show Arctic's as well.

Another well attended session, well done all 12 of us.
Achieved a hell of a lot today.
1. The view from the west hide (feeding station) has been limited on both the north and south sides. Last month we pollarded the willow close to the hide (south). Today Ray C and Dave H manned the boat and coppiced the willows in the sluice basin and SW marsh. This not only improved the views to the south but also stops the marsh plants being impoverished.
2. The north view was impeded by the excellent scrubby area between the two west hides. However this area has not been managed for a few years and was past its peak with many bushes becoming 'leggy'. In order to improve the flora and fauna in this area, we coppiced/pollarded many of the thorn bushes today. They were predominantly blackthorns whose berries are unpalatable to many birds. The hawthorns will be cut once the birds have eaten the berries. The spindle bush was left untouched (as this species doesn't benefit as much from hard cutting). The bushes will be cut to varying heights to give a structural diversity. This technique is on a rotational basis of 3 to 5 years, it might appear drastic, but be assured it is a tried and tested traditional method of coppicing.
Pics 1 and 2 view north after and before , sorry about that arse about face
3 and 4 view south before and after work today.

It does look drastic (you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs-is that a good simile? Maybe not.) anyway as I was sittiing in the WR hide this afty very soon after you left there were quite a no of small birds coming into that cut down area. Another example of hard work that will pay dividends.

Rob

Work party. part 2

3.The cuttings from the scrub were used to create a dead hedge along the western boundary. This will encourage bramble growth and also secure the border fence.
4. The large ash tree next to the tall poplar tree, behind the bench along the west track, was coppiced. Its branches were piled up in the bramble patch close by. This will act as 'scaffolding' and enhance the quality of the bramble.
The dual affect of the ash tree and poplar tree is to shade out the surrounding scrub and render it 'useless'. This should go some way to rejuvenate it.
5. A 'snipe/water rail' ditch was created to the south of the feeding station hide, it runs from the bridge to the sluice bank.
pics 1 and 2 show the ash tree before and after it was coppiced. The shadow is where the bramble hardly grows. It will interesting to see if, by removing the ashtree the bramble will grow.
pic 3 the snipe ditch
pic 4 the scrub coppice as viewed from the concrete hide path.

Attachments

• Ash b4 work 4th oct 11e.jpg
    Ash b4 work 4th oct 11e.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 111
  • ash afta work.jpg
    ash afta work.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 104
  • snipe ditch at south side of west hide.jpg
    snipe ditch at south side of west hide.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF7647.jpg
    DSCF7647.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 87
Birding at the MOORS TODAY

It would appear that there has been a slight influx of ducks over the last couple of days.
Teal 37, Shoveler 48, Tufted 31, Pochard 7.
Also today were GCG 5, Little grebe, Cormorant 7, Mute swan 7, Snipe 4, green sand, lapwing 95, Bhg 100+, LBBG c20, herring gull 2 x 1st winter. Kingfisher and green woodpecker, a chiffchaff called and the c15 Meadow pipits had been feeding locally on surrounding fields, rather than being migrants.
B :)John

It does look drastic (you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs-is that a good simile? Maybe not.) anyway as I was sittiing in the WR hide this afty very soon after you left there were quite a no of small birds coming into that cut down area. Another example of hard work that will pay dividends.

Rob
Ill go with that one rob :t:
The other effect is that it will allow light in, as a lot of the blackthorn is dead, this will help the suckering root system to spread and new saplings will emerge.
Basically a short term loss for a long term gain.
B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back