• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone birded Ghana independently? (1 Viewer)

SueBryan

Hi all
My partner and I are interested in a 7 day trip to Ghana. Can anyone recommend places to visit/ stay/ local guides at a reasonable price? We have both birded in at least 8 African countries before. Is it easy to hire cars? (At present I can only seem to hire car and driver) Any relevant info would be useful.
Thanks
Sue

I have birded Ghana several times

Hi,

I have birded Ghana independently 3 or 4 times although I have usually gone out with a local birder/guide when I was there. I mostly used public transport to get around with taxis to get into hard to reach spots. I ahve written several trip reports too if you are interested.

I suggest you let me have your e-mail or PM me for more information.

All the best,

Mike

Was there in June. Kumasi was great. I camped overnight in the park and was out with Robert (only bird guide there - but superb) at 6 am to have the walkway all to ourselves for a couple of hours before the crowds arrive. The walkway was amazing a unique birding experience being a coupla hundred feet of the ground and getting intimate views of canopy species like Sharpe's Apalis, Yellow-spotted Barbet, Blue Cuckoo Shrike etc. Also watched several species of monkey 50' below us. Highly recommended!

Top of my list for my next visit has to be Ankasa Nature reserve. Robert can arrange trips for there and lots of other secret hotspots he knows. His email is [email protected].

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back