• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro moth ID (1 Viewer)

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
So I've not got any reference material for micro moths, and I am aware that there are many many types of them (as well as a good few unidentified) as well as many that require dissection to fully identify.

That said has anyone any idea who this little moth is? Quite a striking colouration so I think fairly easy to those in the know. Also any recommendations on good references for micro moths?

Attachments

• 36003292584_6f4f95ec40_b.jpg
    36003292584_6f4f95ec40_b.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 36028265913_1b045c125b_b.jpg
    36028265913_1b045c125b_b.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 56
The moth is a phycitine (Pyralidae: Phycitinae), which can be a difficult group, especially when worn.
The book Andy mentions is certainly the one to buy.

Thanks for the advice both.

Honey; what clear morphology features helped you identify the group for this moth?

Hi
Pyralids in general (and here I include both Pyralidae and Crambidae) tend to rest with the antennae folded back over the thorax and wings - often 'crossed'. The general shape and the look of the head make it a phycitine. The book that's been mentioned includes a lot of information on how to recognize the various families.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back