• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March 2009 moths (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Last night was mild and cloudy, though rather breezy. The Orthosia species are starting to show in numbers:

Tortricodes alternella 7
March moth 3
pale brindled beauty 1
small brindled beauty 2
Common quaker 5
small quaker 29
Hebrew character 2
Chestnut 2 (nfy)
satellite 3

Ken

Attachments

• Chestnut ex5967 (600).JPG
    Chestnut ex5967 (600).JPG
    115 KB · Views: 85
  • Hebrew character ex5964 (600).JPG
    Hebrew character ex5964 (600).JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
A good turnout last night with the following species

1x Oak Beauty [NFG]
1x Chestnut
3x Common Quaker [NFY]
1x Clouded Drab [NFY]
2x Satellite
1x Agonopterix heracliana
3x Hebrew Character

pics in my blog :)

Last edited:
Far too windy down here! The actinic bulb blew off the trap last night, luckily it didn't break. Tonight it's F8 blowing right in the garden. Can only get better ... I hope.

Nerine

Following on from my catch on the 7th a possible Lead-coloured Drab was confirmed, so very chuffed indeed! thats 11 new species for my checkbooks already this year, looks on course to be a good'un!

Hi Ken
Yes, here it is, theres a better pic on my blog, but this shows the feathered antennae better

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Last night was mild again:
Unknown micro (Agonopterix heracliana?)
Tortricodes alternella 4
March moth 3
Yellow horned 2
small brindled beauty 2
Common quaker 9
small quaker 41
Hebrew character 1
Chestnut 1

One of the yellow horned was very dark, though my photo doesn't really show this.
Ken

Attachments

• yellow horned.jpg
    yellow horned.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 82
  • micro1.jpg
    micro1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
A good night here with 2 new species for the garden and a new for year and yes very mild here too.

1x Twin-spotted Quaker [NFG]
2x Small Quaker [NFY]
1x Emmelina monodactyla
2x Agonopterix heracliana
1x Oak Beauty
4x Common Quaker
4x Hebrew Character
1x Grey Shoulder-knot [NFG]
2x Clouded Drab
1x Pale Pinion

I really thought i'd be in with a good chance of catching last night but i blanked yet again. I'll try again today as the weather seems to be similar to last night.

Just one moth in the trap this morning, despite the very mild conditions. It's a very dark Lead-coloured Drab. Not quite annual in the garden.

I've been getting a few A. heracliana/ciliella to lit windows and decided to check one out. After two days in the freezer it woke straight up and flew around strongly. One tough moth.

Attachments

• lead-coloured_drab_12mar09_800l_20.jpg
    lead-coloured_drab_12mar09_800l_20.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I really thought i'd be in with a good chance of catching last night but i blanked yet again. I'll try again today as the weather seems to be similar to last night.

ditto, and yet the night before when it was almost below freezing i got a common quaker. just goes to show!

that's the only thing i've caught in march so far - did get a march moth on the last two nights of feb.

Last edited:
I'm not getting anything either - nothing in the trap last night (apart from a whole load of tiny slugs) although the wind had dropped and it was fairly mild. I did have what I suspect might be Agonopterix heracliana on a lit window early yesterday evening. I'll try again tonight.

Nerine

This time last year I had had only 2 Quakers and a white-shouldered house moth, this year to date its 24 species and over 100 moths, how bizarre is that! the trap is the same aswell.

Last summer was pretty good for species though so maybe it might be a quieter time of year for me this year!

I live in a village with no immediate woodland.

I caught a tiny slug aswell!! Hopefully this year will be a good moth year, its been pretty good for some already (bennyboymothman?)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back