• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Raptors of Europe and the Middle East: A Handbook of Field Identification (1 Viewer)

Birdman7

Bird photographer
The Raptors of Europe and the Middle East: A Handbook of Field Identification by Dick Forsman

Anyone has this book and willing to comment on its content and worth?

Regards

Absolutely obligatory - especially if you are in Gibraltar! I lived in the general area 1982-96 and there was nothing like it then.

There is a new second edition on its way.

Agreed, a very useful book.

But not sure whether Dick Forsman's forthcoming book on in-flight identification of WP raptors is a new edition of the existing title or something completely new...?

Thx Simon, iv lived here in Gib all my live and love raptor migration. The book would be more of a reference for my clients. We may have met sometime in the past who knows!

I think iv bought the 2009 edition, so not sure its 'the revised edition' or not :)

Yes, you look familiar on your website - but it was a long time ago! By the way nowadays I'm known as the algarvebirdman sometimes.

The 2nd edition isn't out yet - though the 2009 copy is the bees knees anyway and as Richard said the new book maybe something quite different. I'm sure it would be useful for you for judging ages and rarities.

It is the Bible in relation to identification and ageing of birds of prey,don´t know if the new one will be different in regard to content.A great reference book for checking your photos.

Just noticed the 2nd edition is available for pre-order just as I'm considering buying the 1st.
The number of pages (608) stated by Amazon UK is the same as the original 1999 edition. If correct (rather than just mistakenly copied from the earlier spec), it doesn't suggest a major re-work with lots of new material...

(But I take expected publication dates with a pinch of salt – especially for Bloomsbury titles.)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back