• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stumped (1 Viewer)

julesjarr

I always blink when something interesting happens
Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this !

I spotted this bird in my garden which I took to be some kind of thrush, I took a few snaps and looking at the photos in my books I have been stumped as to what exactly it is. The body looks thrush like but I can't match the colour to a specific type.

Help please

ThanXs

Attachments

• Unknown.JPG
    Unknown.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
julesjarr said:
Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this !

I spotted this bird in my garden which I took to be some kind of thrush, I took a few snaps and looking at the photos in my books I have been stumped as to what exactly it is. The body looks thrush like but I can't match the colour to a specific type.

Help please

ThanXs

is there supposed to be pics? might it be mistle thrush?

Last edited:
Hedge sparrow AKA Dunnock - here I see them at the beach acting like flycatchers or at my feeders - rarely in hedges.

Dunnock - Sparrow ?

Thank you all. As I am a novice I have looked up a Dunnock in my RSPB birds of britian and It appears to be in a diffrent family to the sparrows. Could someone help me with why it is known as a hedge sparrow.

Leanring all the time.

Thanks

julesjarr said:
Thank you all. As I am a novice I have looked up a Dunnock in my RSPB birds of britian and It appears to be in a diffrent family to the sparrows. Could someone help me with why it is known as a hedge sparrow.

Leanring all the time.

Thanks

Probably should be fielded by a Brit rather than a Rebel, but, genus Prunella is considered to be part of a larger family Passeridae (includes Old World Sparrows among other things). Some collocate the Accentors (this is an Accentor) in their own family Prunellidae, they are however related to the Old World Sparrows. I imagine the superficial resemblance and their preferance of countryside habitat has a lot to do with the name used in England of Hedge Sparrow. The rest of the world knows this bird as Hedge Accentor.

julesjarr said:
Could someone help me with why it is known as a hedge sparrow.

Leanring all the time.

Thanks
I think it stems from the fact that many little brown/grey birds were simply called Sparrows in centuries gone by (and still by my father!), and the name stuck with this one. The Hedge Sparrow name seems to be on it's way out for this guy... more and more it is known as Dunnock. Hedge Accentor sounds more exotic and glamorous though ;)

cheers
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back