• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Thought it was about time I did the Point in full this spring. It was certainly not worth the wait this time... The easterly winds felt promising though the forecast afternoon shower had been unforecast by the time we set out. Total haul in terms of grounded migrants was a rather disappointing 7+ Wheatears, 2 chiffchaffs, 1 Blackcap, 1 Whitethroat and 1 Sedge Warbler. Its often all or nothing at this time of year, we got the nothing.
Bad luck Dave, its soul destroying doing BP with few numbers of birds, I have done this many times!

Penny:girl:

We paid a visit to Winterton today. Within 10 minutes of arriving this female Hen Harrier appeared over the dunes and disappeared in a south-westerly direction. Annoyingly, I had decided to take my old camera and lens with me to save weight, so the photographs are not that good.

Apart from the Harrier the other highlight was two Woodcocks which burst out from the heather and flew away from us. There were lots of singing Skylarks, which are always a delight, and good numbers of Little Terns are building up on the beach now. There was a constant stream of them flying parallel to the beach and diving for food. They were making an incredible racket too. While this was going on a Grey Seal poked its head up a few metres offshore. There were quite a few Swallows swooping about over the dunes too.

It was a brilliant day in superb weather but, my word, it looks parched there at the moment. Some rain is desperately needed.

Ron

That's a very interesting looking hen harrier? Only has 4 visible fingers, slender looking wings which look narrow at the hand and a long slender looking tail?

Sorry Andy, think you beat me to it!

Last edited:
I'm going to stick my neck out and say montagu's Harrier on structure and lack of any obvious collar/boa
A very nice find indeed

Last edited:
Sorry Stuart, as you have probably guessed I am rubbish at ID'ing birds. What the **** is a montallid harrier?

Ron

Sorry just being daft a cross between a Montagu's and Pallid Harrier
I think it's probably montagu's though, good job you had your camera with you and once again a very nice find. Did it look quite 'rakish' in the field ?

Did it look quite 'rakish' in the field?
It looked quite slender and streamlined, if that is what you mean. To be honest I was concentrating on trying to photograph it with a camera which wasn't focusing very well to take in all the finer details.

My partner Lynn has just got iBird on her iPhone and looking on that we both picked up on the white rump and thought it was a Hen Harrier. We hadn't even considered a Montagu's Harrier. Lucky I had a camera with me.

Edit. I have been looking at photos of Montagu's Harriers and they do look just like the bird which we saw. Thanks for putting me right Stuart and Andy. :t:

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses reg. RBA . Chris has already got in contact regarding number swaps for us costessey folk and our sightings if anyone else is interested please contact and we will make sure nothing evades us over our airspace

Titchwell May 7th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – drake on Patsy’s reedbed all day
Wood sandpiper – 1 on Patsy’s reedbed
Red crested pochard – pair on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 east @ 11am
Little gull – adult on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler – 1 singing near Fen Hide
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Salthouse

Thank you to the young couple who pointed me in the right direction of the Whimbrel. 3 showing well on the hill west of the car park.
Also today Wheatear, Linnet, Sedge Warbler and Red legged Partridge. A steady stream of Sandwich Terns flying east to West to East carrying sand eels.
Later on at Bishop's hide the Avocets were getting frisky.
Though no sign of any Bearded Tits, can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• SandwichTern .jpg
    SandwichTern .jpg
    274 KB · Views: 90
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Whimbrel1.jpg
    Whimbrel1.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 97
  • Whimbrel2.jpg
    Whimbrel2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 85
Do you remember the field full of Grey-headed wagtails and Red-throated Pipits at Happisburgh in the early 90's

No, Stuart ! I was then residing in a moister and milder milieu, over 200 miles to the south-west.

According to RBA, there was only one R-tP present at any one time in May 1992.

Having just seen 2 pix of the Kelling Grey-head (http://www.birdgroups.co.uk/cbc/news.asp?pageid=14), I can confidently state they are different birds.

Thank you to the young couple who pointed me in the right direction of the Whimbrel. 3 showing well on the hill west of the car park.
Also today Wheatear, Linnet, Sedge Warbler and Red legged Partridge. A steady stream of Sandwich Terns flying east to West to East carrying sand eels.
Later on at Bishop's hide the Avocets were getting frisky.
Though no sign of any Bearded Tits, can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Hi Paul,

I believe we spoke this morning as you were heading to Bishop's about the lack of birds on view at the time and the Whimbrel at Salthouse?

I heard Beardies calling from the reeds beside the footpatch to the central hides today, but to be honest they can be in any of the reedbeds! I've previously had them from this footpath, the footpath to Bishop's, in the reeds beside the East bank and also accross the road at Walsey!!

There was also 40+ Little Tern's fishing to the West of the beach car-park, 1 Fulmar past heading East and 6 Gannets doing the same.

Waders increased in the afternoon with a Curlew Sand on Simmonds amongst a few Dunlin, plus a reported Temminck's; which did a bunk whilst I was there, only to return later along with 3 more apparently on North Scrape!

Keith

ps - nice photos!!

I think Mr. Furze means the kelling grey-headed is different to the west runton grey headed of monday morning, interesting as one would assume they would have been the same bird, just goes to show you shouldn't assume anything !

John - I saw 2 R-T Pipits together and have a photograph somewhere of both, I recently read in the norfolk bird report for that year there were actually 3 there over that weekend, we saw 20 grey-headed wags all in the same ploughed field as well. Magic

Site guide & map: West Runton

I think Mr. Furze means the kelling grey-headed is different to the west runton grey headed

Precisely. Thanks for the translation, Stuart.

John - I saw 2 R-T Pipits together and have a photograph somewhere of both, I recently read in the norfolk bird report for that year there were actually 3 there over that weekend, we saw 20 grey-headed wags all in the same ploughed field as well.

Perhaps a correction needs to be made somewhere, then. Wish I’d been there and read the above with envy (Deadly Sin!); I’ve heard about this from several people.

Below are two waggies from this evening. The calves were sometimes touching the fence by the footpath between [1] and [2], with the sun low and behind.

Also, please find a site guide to West Runton (Word doc.), with accompanying map, for the visitor.

1. West field W.
2. West field E; houses & gardens to SE.
3. Central field.
4. Old Farm compound: buildings in restoration; willow copse at NE corner.
5. East field W.
6. Pine Belt: conifers & other trees, vegetation.
7. East field E; rubbish dump on NE; play area to SE.
8. Rough grass E.
9. Rough grass W.
10. Car parking area & field.
11. Field, with goalposts.
12. Children’s play area.

Attachments

• 324pse.jpg
    324pse.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 217pse.jpg
    217pse.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 155
  • West Runton map annotations.docx
    10.8 KB · Views: 90
  • West Runton fields & clifftop map.jpg
    West Runton fields & clifftop map.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 171
Montagu's Harrier
Female Montagu's Harrier this afternoon south over Nelson's Head track at Horsey probably same bird as at Winterton a couple of days ago. At last a good movement of hirundines with probably a couple of hundred swallows mainly south(?) with a couple of hobbies hot on their tails. Also a couple of distant cranes but little else.

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 239
Montagu's Harrier
Female Montagu's Harrier this afternoon south over Nelson's Head track at Horsey probably same bird as at Winterton a couple of days ago. At last a good movement of hirundines with probably a couple of hundred swallows mainly south(?) with a couple of hobbies hot on their tails. Also a couple of distant cranes but little else.

Mick

Saw a female Montagu's over fields NW of Rollesby at about 5.20, could easily be the same bird.

Just before this a Black Tern was near to the road on Ormesby Broad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back