• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Titchwell May 13th

Today’s highlights

Little ringed plover – 2 on Patsy’s reedbed, 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 1 near beach boardwalk
Golden plover – 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – drake on fresh marsh

Paul

Just a quick note to say some of the birds we had in Norfolk on Saturday (11/05).

2 Turtle Dove near Great Bircham.

Titchwell
2 Red-crested Pochard
Common Eider x2 (1w drake and female) on sea
9 Common Scoter also offshore
Gannet Offshore
Spoonbill flew east at around 5:30pm
2 Common Sand on pool beyond 'fen hide'
Little Stint flew around the 'tidal pool'
Kittiwake overflew reserve around 4:40pm
2 Sandwich Tern offshore
2 Arctic Tern flew west offshore
Wheatear in field directly ahead as you walk onto the main path to the beach from the visitor center
MB

4 Blue-headed Wagtails (2 males) this evening in the Eye Field, Cley along with 3 Wheatears and a Stonechat. Turtle Dove purring south of Stiffkey. 2 Wheatears at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse along with a terrific thunderstorm and rainbow!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Titchwell May 14th

Today’s highlights

Harrier sp – possible ringtail Montagu’s over saltmarsh @ 13:15
Spoonbill – 1 commuting between saltmarsh and fresh marsh all day
Wheatear – 1 near beach
Little ringed plover – 4 on fresh marsh
Common scoter – 500 offshore

Paul

Wood Warblers
Bit of a surprise at **site details removed** today as within 10 seconds of getting out of the car heard a familiar song coming from willows at start of track. Another 10 seconds and excellent views of a very vocal Wood Warbler were had. A fairly tricky bird to catch up with in the county now but those of a certain age will remember the annual pilgrimage to the Kelling Triangle in early May where you could usually guarantee singing Wood Warbler within a couple of minutes of arriving at the site. With two birds at **site details removed** a couple of days ago could be worth checking out some of the 'old' traditional sites.

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
The Wood Warbler was very vocal at **site details removed** early this morning!

Sue

Attachments

• Wood-Warbler-(2)-Wretham-He.jpg
    Wood-Warbler-(2)-Wretham-He.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Fabulous Wood Warbler pics Sue and Mick:t::t:

I got there too late in the day to see this one, after doing Lakenheath RSPB (Suffolk:eek!:) for most of the day, photographing the Red-footed Falcon.

As far as I know, there have been a couple of reports by visitors (one very early report) but none have been seen or heard by the RSPB staff or the regular folk who monitor the orioles.

Titchwell May 15th

Today’s highlights

Little stint – adult on Patsy’s reedbed then flushed by hobby
Little ringed plover – 2 on Patsy’s reedbed, 2 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Little gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Whimbrel – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – drake on grazing meadow pool
Wheatear – 1 on grazing meadow
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Having neglected the patch a bit over the last few days (I do occasionally work! - but have still managed brief daily visits) I was glad to find some time today before going off for a long weekend. The low cloud and rain kept the hirundines down, but I couldn't turn up any Red-rumped ones (maybe I should have just taken pics and found one later on the camera...!) Warblers were hiding and a brief (patch first) Reed Warbler couldn't be coerced, unlike the Garden Warblers that positively reacted.

Continuing round the patch I came across a wader on one of the working gravel pits. It wasn't the expected Little Ringed Plover, nor a Dunlin, which was my next thought, but a cracking Temminck's Stint! - an amazing patch find and valley tick for me! Fortunately DA was not too far away and (hopefully!) has got some cracking pics! Added to this a fly by Turtle Dove shout (another patch first), that was four new patch birds in a few hours!

Bank holiday Monday produced another excellent record in the form of a dark Short-eared Owl found and photographed by DA, on the same morning as our first Cuckoo. Tuesday of last week had a fly through Marsh Harrier (another first), followed by two, too brief, Avocet and finally (eventually) Swifts on Friday!

Having neglected the patch a bit over the last few days (I do occasionally work! - but have still managed brief daily visits) I was glad to find some time today before going off for a long weekend.

Continuing round the patch I came across a wader on one of the working gravel pits. It wasn't the expected Little Ringed Plover, nor a Dunlin, which was my next thought, but a cracking Temminck's Stint! - an amazing patch find and valley tick for me!

sounds like it was a short stayer David hence the name :brains:

Having neglected the patch a bit over the last few days (I do occasionally work! - but have still managed brief daily visits) I was glad to find some time today before going off for a long weekend. The low cloud and rain kept the hirundines down, but I couldn't turn up any Red-rumped ones (maybe I should have just taken pics and found one later on the camera...!) Warblers were hiding and a brief (patch first) Reed Warbler couldn't be coerced, unlike the Garden Warblers that positively reacted.

Continuing round the patch I came across a wader on one of the working gravel pits. It wasn't the expected Little Ringed Plover, nor a Dunlin, which was my next thought, but a cracking Temminck's Stint! - an amazing patch find and valley tick for me! Fortunately DA was not too far away and (hopefully!) has got some cracking pics! Added to this a fly by Turtle Dove shout (another patch first), that was four new patch birds in a few hours!

Bank holiday Monday produced another excellent record in the form of a dark Short-eared Owl found and photographed by DA, on the same morning as our first Cuckoo. Tuesday of last week had a fly through Marsh Harrier (another first), followed by two, too brief, Avocet and finally (eventually) Swifts on Friday!

Great work David, yet another super bird for your patch!

The water levels look great for Waders at Surlingham, but no cigar as yet. That being said, I don't get the time I would like down there.

I had a message from Ben last night to say that the Montagu's Harrier that has been seen at Buckenham has now appeared over the river at Rockland. Now that would be a smashing bird to see before it moves on.

Cheers,
Jim.

I have removed the details of wood warbler on the last few pages at at least one of the sites has had two birds and I have been asked by local birders to remove the details from here. Given what a rare breeder it is in Norfolk this seems a wise precaution, so please refrain from posting locations of them for now - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back