• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

Melodious

Bit of an error checking the net for bird news before departing for Waxham and the patch. The lure of a Melodious was too much, and my experiences sadly mirror those of the above. Certainly a lot of negative feeling surrounding the sighting from people I spoke with, and I hope for the finder's sake a picture was taken! Seriously though, as James was telling me on site this is a very rare bird for Norfolk, so if someone has found one then hats off to them.
I spent my time at the cross-tracks, picked up some nice common migrants. Chiffchaff, a very yellow Willow Warbler (easy there), Blackcap, Bullfinch and a small flock of Siskin. Plenty of Goldcrests mingling with the Tit flocks. Finished with cracking views of a Barn Owl, but gutted I missed out on the Shortie that Firstreesjohn saw!
Cheers,
Jim.

We were among a small crowd who were watching what was originally called as an Icterine until someone noticed that this particular bird had bright orange legs. Not a willow warbler, there was one of them in the bush underneath and it was totally different, smaller and less chunky,different shaped head. We'd never seen Icterine or Melodious before but there were several people in the crowd who had seen both and were adamant it was a Melodious. However we did see another guy who had seen the Icky and he was describing the "blue legs and yellow feet" so clearly there was one of them about, these legs couldn't possibly have been described as blue, grey or anything other than bright orange!!!

So you can decide from that what you will, but the bird I saw certainly was NOT a willow warbler!!

This is what a melodious warbler looks like, hopefully David Gifford won't mind be using his very good photographs as an illustration.

Did anyone see a bird looking anything like this ?

Attachments

• melodious-warbler-by-david-gifford.jpg
    melodious-warbler-by-david-gifford.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 179
We were among a small crowd who were watching what was originally called as an Icterine until someone noticed that this particular bird had bright orange legs. Not a willow warbler, there was one of them in the bush underneath and it was totally different, smaller and less chunky,different shaped head. We'd never seen Icterine or Melodious before but there were several people in the crowd who had seen both and were adamant it was a Melodious. However we did see another guy who had seen the Icky and he was describing the "blue legs and yellow feet" so clearly there was one of them about, these legs couldn't possibly have been described as blue, grey or anything other than bright orange!!!

So you can decide from that what you will, but the bird I saw certainly was NOT a willow warbler!!

This might be of use - I entered the wood from Lady Annes Drive just after 10 (maybe about 10.15 ish) and there was a crowd of about 20 people gazing into a ivy clad pine tree. Not having a pager I knew nothing of what had been reported, so enquired to the group and got no reply...I followed, however some directions into the ivy and saw a warbler working its way up the tree. It was a willow warbler albeit quite brown on the back, but with pale yellow on the breast, obvious dark eye stripe and supercilium and pale bare parts. Someone mentioned Icterine and I informed the nearest observer it was a Willow warbler, which everyone seemed to ignore so I wandered off, wondering how Icterine could have even be considered, taking into account its face markings, wing length, lack of wing panel and its bright legs. I thought the only thing that looked a bit odd was that it was moving rather sluggishly and it did look rather brown, but nothing to suggest a 'hippo'. Returning later in the afternoon having heard the report of the Melodious, I was intrigued to see if this rarity was the same bird that had been observed earlier. When the shout eventually piped up that it was back (by someone who had seen it 'mid morning') it was indeed the same Willow Warbler that had been misidentified earlier. Don't know whether this helps or hinders anyones view on what they saw in the morning.

Andy Bloomfield

These responses are most helpful.

Especially to me who saw both the willow warbler and possible icterine. There is no multi-bird theory. I saw many birds in the small area concerned.

Before the twenty or more birders arrived, I saw the probable or putative icterine warbler, but not at all well. Only a handful of us were there. My bird had GREY legs and dagger bill. I did not see the bird climb up the tree. It would not show well. :C

I went back to the car for a cup of tea and a bite to eat. I was hoping someone would nail the icterine warbler ID. (Other than those who saw it first thing and can count it.)

There were twenty people there when I got back. I could not find the bird I saw. I asked them (1020 by then?) are you going to put the record out on the pager. No reply.

Did not see the bird they claimed as the icterine. No idea if they had seen the willow warbler and assumed it was the bird I was struggling to identify.

My bird more likely to be icterine than willow warbler. Will never know for sure.

P.S. my banana remark was tongue in cheek!
My bird was not yellow unlike the willow warbler!!
I did nearly come to grief on a banana skin on this thread!!!

Dave - I have been in uncontrollable laughter - just opened this thread and between you, John Furse and Pete Doulton I have been in hysterics:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O THANKS EVERYONE!!!:t::t:

P.S. I will be posting a nice yellowy willow warbler that I took at the Cross tracks at Holkham yesterday on my blog later.;)

Glad you liked my banana remark.

Are you going to the Audi garage today, Penny, with a fat cheque in your pocket??

This is what a melodious warbler looks like, hopefully David Gifford won't mind be using his very good photographs as an illustration.

Bit difficult to tell as it was seen "from underneath" as it were and was moving about a lot. But definitely orange legs - I was looking for the "blue legs with yellow feet" quoted to me earlier and was more than slightly confused! :-O:-O

The other diagnostic mentioned was the lack of wing panel - certainly "our" bird seemed to have plain wings....................

actually now we've mentioned photos I Googled and found this which looks about right..........

http://birdblog.merseyblogs.co.uk/Melodious Warbler.jpg

Last edited:

Hi Viv,

The blue legs and yellow feet suggest he was describing the odd warbler in the photos posted earlier not an Icterine. Icterine would have blue-grey legs and feet.

When I saw the 'grey-legged yellow-footed' warbler the 'hippo fans' were discounting the regular tail pumping of the bird they were watching as well as other contra indicators.

I was with a very good birder and fieldguide author who tried to correct the ID, failed and then walked on to avoid further confrontation.

This, of course, has no bearing on your bird as I did not see that. |=)|

As an aside, I was thinking about the 'grey-legged yellow-footed' warbler and remembered taking a close look at my photos of Chiffchaff and Siberian Chiffchaff and seeing that both species have black legs with yellow soles to the feet (contra BWP that says only the Siberian has the yellow). So it would probably only need a reduced amount of the black pigment in a Chiffchaff's legs to give the funny grey and yellow effect.

Dave

Titchwell October 4th

Today's highlights

Little stint - 3 on fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 along main path
Snow bunting - 12 on beach
Spoonbill - 1 on saltmarsh

Paul

Foot in mouth

There must be some people out there who claimed the willow warbler as an icterine.

The bird I saw briefly was not the much observed willow warbler and more to the point not like a banana. Meant to say it was longer and slimmer.

Reminds me of the time a lady colleague at work had a sick cat. I asked about her pussy!:cat:

Not as bad as the English lady who worked at USAF Mildenhall. She did a pencil sketch and wanted to alter it. She asked her American colleagues has any one got a rubber? :-O

Could continue on Carry on Film mode.... Sid James would say rah rah rah!

Last edited:
And yet another possible banana ?

The westernmost track at Warham Greens was the location of a mystery (brownish) warbler that almost immediately disappeared this afters.

Walking up and down it several times, latterly in the company of one of Norfolk’s finest (no, not a P.C.), we had no luck.

Present, nonetheless, were Pied & Spotted Flycatchers, Redstart, Merlin, Barn Owl and several, small parties of flyover Lapland Buntings. Hen Harrier and Buzzard were far out, towards East Hills and the small pit to the west held a Ring Ousel.

Having driven an Audi A3 for the last 12 years, I can empathise with Penny’s ‘loss’.

Last edited:
Definitely not, but then again I put out on RBA the bird we found as an Icterine when we found it at just after 7am!!!!

Ian

Hi Viv,

The blue legs and yellow feet suggest he was describing the odd warbler in the photos posted earlier not an Icterine. Icterine would have blue-grey legs and feet.

Hi Dave

Thanks for that! We didn't see any birds with blue legs and any coloured feet so makes no difference but will squirrel that nugget of information away for future reference!:-O:-O

Hi all,

I'm enjoying these recent trip reports, my partner and I are coming to Norfolk at the weekend, we are camping for a few nights at Kelling Heath (brave/foolish I know, she has no idea how cold Norfolk in October can be!).

Arriving Saturday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon I hope to cram in as much birding as humanly possible.

If we arrive at about 1ish on Saturday afternoon where would you suggest for a good afternoon's birding? We plan to do Cley and Wells on Sunday, as well as a Blakeney seal trip.

We've also got Monday morning to fill as well.

I can't wait for this trip, I absolutely love birding in Norfolk and I'll hopefully get a few lifers while there. Living in Milton Keynes really starves you of birding, lol.

Thanks!

Warbler ID - what happened to the possible tristis bird?

Paul - you seem to have turned into a comedian

And yet another possible banana ?
Having driven an Audi A3 for the last 12 years, I can empathise with Penny’s ‘loss’.

Hi Viv,

Hi Dave

Thanks for that! We didn't see any birds with blue legs and any coloured feet so makes no difference but will squirrel that nugget of information away for future reference!:-O:-O

Leave the jokes to me John!

I could not see any yellow feet on my possible icterine sighting. Legs were grey.

Not all birds can be positively identified. I presumed the recent Wells bonelli's warbler was a western. As with alder / willow flycatcher the much more likely species.

The possible Siberian / tristis chiffchaff at the far end of Holkham could NOT be identified by species of form / race with any certainty by myself. Did not think it was a tristis - any other comments?

Unlike many I did not need the recent Wells bonelli's to be confirmed as a western for a county tick. I saw one in the conifers between where the icterine warbler was seen early am and the Gap in 2004. This was on a weekday as was the only twitchable Norfolk melodious warbler. Hence crowds for both birds this Autumn.

I believe the bird I saw was the icterine warbler seen earlier. Not sure.

Walsey Icterine
Julian Bhalerao found a pied flycatcher at Walsey Hills (before 8am). He joined a small group of birders overlooking North Foreland wood. The shout went up - icterine warbler. Julian said it was a garden warbler!

We chatted at the end of Walsey on the footpath. Pager goes off with icterine seen well. No shout to us. No further sign!

I did see the pied fly Julian saw but for the same brief time I saw the putative icterine. Not seen again but someone did see a bird which could have been it fly up the hedge and path towards Salthouse: before 9am.

No one saw the icterine move on but it must have done as it wasn't there in the afternoon. Will never know for sure if it came back around 10am or whatever.

Last edited:
Easy to get it wrong even when bird seen well

Even if you see a bird well you can get the description and details wrong.

On 31 October 1994 I parked at the west end of Holkham on the Burnham Market road. I crossed over and set up my scope. No pager and no idea of what I might see.

I did not expect to find a large raptor siting on a post between Holkham Fort and the Joe Jordan hide. A goshawk. It was too big and the structure etc wrong for female sparrowhawk. I sent in my notes but mistakenly assumed the large raptor was female.

Other birders confirmed a goshawk was in the area afterwards. The 2004 Norfolk Bird Report (p398) had records of a male goshawk in the Holkham Wells area that Autumn. With hindsight and current knowledge I would not have made this error. My bird was a male goshawk.

Will not be sending in any notes on my icterine "sighting".

Whirligig at Warham Greens

While I'm about can anyone please tell me how to get here? I understand this is a good area for raptors in the winter months and although I have been down to where I think Warham Greens is I've not managed to find the infamous whirligig? And where is the best place to park?

Thanks very much

Viv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back