• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enormous Bird of Prey.........Bristol (1 Viewer)

bristolbirdie

Enormous Bird of Prey.........Bristol, England

A relative of mine phoned me this afternoon to say an enormous (brown coloured) bird of prey had just landed in her back garden. She rushed to get a camera but it just flew off before she could take a picture.

I said it was probably a hawk. But she insisted it was many, many times larger than any bird of prey she had previously seen. She mentioned the word eagle.

I said the only 'enormous' UK birds of prey that I knew of were the red kite, golden eagle and the sea eagle. And none of these were likely to land in back garden on a Bristol housing estate!

Any ideas?

Regards
Lucy

Last edited:
Judging size is a lot more difficult than most people realize, because we are also rubbish at determining distance. Sounds like a buzzard that was closer than she realized.

Niels

Welcome to BF Lucy......I'd say Buzzard too.....or perhaps a big female Sprawk (it's amazing how easily size can be misjudged by any of us!)

I guess a recently fledged Buzzard would be more likely to land in the wrong place at this time of year than an adult normally (or have they taken to suburbia in Bristol like Red Kites elsewhere?)

Although Buzzard is most likely, there is always the chance it is a captive bird. Bristol has quite a large percentage of people with "private collections" so it's not out of the question |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back