Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 10:02   #76
jimm55

Where on martin down are the burnts. I may still try mount caburne may be some left. Looking at Thursday. Jim

Last edited by jimm55 : Monday 22nd May 2017 at 10:05.
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 13:40   #77
bustersymes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlee View Post
am thinking of going to the chilterns this week, Homefield wood and Hartslock. Does anyone have any information on whether this week is a good time to go? Anywhere else I should be including on my itinerary?

thanks for any help.
I visited both sites yesterday and can confirm that the specialities at both should be looking good this week (the only exception being the single Lady at Hartslock which is now very slightly past its best).

In terms of other sites, Warburg is between the two and could give you both butterfly orchids amongst other things, but I'm not sure if either are flowering yet this year. If the visitor centre is open they may be able to help (or you could even try phoning them first).

If you're interested in dragonflies you can walk to Hartslock from Goring along a section of the Thames famous for emerging Common Clubtails - they're not easy but we saw two or three yesterday.
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 18:37   #78
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnsue View Post
The Frogs are just starting to flower at the North Wales site, together with what will become a forest of Twayblades in certain parts of the site. The Frog v longibracteatum are very late this year and show the sign of suffering from lack of rain.
Jeff Hodgson
There were a few Twayblades here over past years, but not a feature of the site. Is a 'forest' of them a good thing? Will they drown out other species?
Old Tuesday 23rd May 2017, 07:04   #79
jeffnsue

The ‘forest’, if indeed it becomes such, is just in the wooded area of the site in the dip beyond where most of the Frog Orchids grow. My original post was perhaps a little sensational!
Jeff Hodgson
Old Wednesday 24th May 2017, 13:20   #80
ladybee

Derbyshire Peak District - Frog and Fly orchids just starting to flower. A bad year for Burnt Tipped orchids though.
Old Wednesday 24th May 2017, 15:14   #81
Yashca

Thanks everyone for Chilterns advice - saw lady, monkey and hybrids at Hartslock + white helleborines.

Also saw military orchids, greater butterfly orchids just in flower, common spotted orchids and one of the best displays of fly orchids I've seen.

No sign of any club-tails though!
Old Wednesday 24th May 2017, 18:13   #82
rmielcarek

Platanthera ID

Anyone like to hazard an opinion on these, all photographed yesterday morning growing together on a short (c10 yard) stretch of roadside verge under bracken and bramble. Stature wise they all looked similar in the field, about 20 plants in total.

Rich M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	628116  Click image for larger version

Name:	#6.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	628117  Click image for larger version

Name:	#8.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	628118  Click image for larger version

Name:	#9.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	628119  Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	628120  

Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 00:00   #83
AdrianW

Military at their prime in the usual location in BBOWTland, as were the GBO and Fly. CSO just coming out. One Green Hairstreak.

The Monkeys are just going over and not in very high numbers at the usual location in BBOWTland; but Lady x Monkey hybrid swarm is looking excellent - a few of those are starting to go over, but most are prime. No flowering Bees yet though!
Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 12:47   #84
Ghostly Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek View Post
Anyone like to hazard an opinion on these, all photographed yesterday morning growing together on a short (c10 yard) stretch of roadside verge under bracken and bramble. Stature wise they all looked similar in the field, about 20 plants in total.

Rich M
Hi Rich

First two look like clear Greater, the last closest to Lesser. the two in between do look intermediate, which reading between the lines is what you were suggesting?

Follow @ukorchids on Twitter for Orchid news
Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 12:51   #85
Ghostly Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid View Post
Question to Steve will the LSO up North last two more weeks when i plan to be there or should I go next week ?
Hi Doctor

The Gait Barrows plants are in fine form at present, but most plants only have one flower on them because they are quite young still. There are a few yet to flower, but I would still go this weekend rather than next.

Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 14:47   #86
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly Vision View Post
Hi Rich

First two look like clear Greater, the last closest to Lesser. the two in between do look intermediate, which reading between the lines is what you were suggesting?
Hi Sean

as they were all growing together in a small area, and all looked identical unless you examined the flower closely, I was assuming they are all related.

The first plant (#1) and the last plant (#2) were growing with a foot or so of each other. The majority of the plants looked like #s 8 and 9, with Lesser like pollinia that are held almost parallel but wide apart!

Oh, and I'd been reading that article by Terry Swainbank in the April BSBI News and it is one of the locations where x hybrida has been recorded. As to whether any of these are actually Greater, or Lesser, or x hybrida or some sort of intermediate swarm, your guess is as good as mine. I just thought I'd see what other people thought and what they would put them down as.

Rich
Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 19:35   #87
drdavid

first bee out on isle of wight amidst clouds of Glanville fritillaries at Compton chine
Attached Images

Old Friday 26th May 2017, 04:05   #88
aeshna5

I've seen a couple of Bee Orchids out (+ more in bud) in London- one residential site in Barnes + another in an industrial unit at Southall.
Old Friday 26th May 2017, 13:47   #89
Ghostly Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek View Post
Hi Sean

as they were all growing together in a small area, and all looked identical unless you examined the flower closely, I was assuming they are all related.

The first plant (#1) and the last plant (#2) were growing with a foot or so of each other. The majority of the plants looked like #s 8 and 9, with Lesser like pollinia that are held almost parallel but wide apart!

Oh, and I'd been reading that article by Terry Swainbank in the April BSBI News and it is one of the locations where x hybrida has been recorded. As to whether any of these are actually Greater, or Lesser, or x hybrida or some sort of intermediate swarm, your guess is as good as mine. I just thought I'd see what other people thought and what they would put them down as.

Rich
Everyone a little timorous I am guessing!!

I'd agree that there appear to be hybrids, if they are determined using the same criterion used for the species themselves.

Old Yesterday, 14:26   #90
Rafeabrook

Hey all, am planning to see the Mils at Homefield tomorrow. Anyone confirm they are still in good shape?
Thanks
Rafe
Old Yesterday, 14:38   #91
rogpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeabrook View Post
Hey all, am planning to see the Mils at Homefield tomorrow. Anyone confirm they are still in good shape?
Thanks
Rafe
I was there on Thursday, Rafe. There were plants in all stages. Some just past their best, some peaking, and some still had buds on them. The Flys were looking good as well.

Rog
Old Yesterday, 15:45   #92
Rafeabrook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogpow View Post
I was there on Thursday, Rafe. There were plants in all stages. Some just past their best, some peaking, and some still had buds on them. The Flys were looking good as well.

Rog
Many thanks Rog!
Old Yesterday, 21:50   #93
maaren

Any opinions on this orchid? Initially I thought a SMO, but now I am wondering. It looked quite different from the others around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6479-1600x900.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	628666  
Old Today, 11:03   #94
jeffnsue

Rex Graham Reserve

We are on holiday in Suffolk within striking distance of the Rex Graham Reserve. It was the open day yesterday but we couldn't make it. Our friends are joining us tomorrow and we would like to go with them. Last time we were there (2014) there were Military Orchid plants growing outside the compound in another small chalk-pit. Does any one know whether this is still the case please.
Jeff Hodgson
Old Today, 15:13   #95
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaren View Post
Any opinions on this orchid? Initially I thought a SMO, but now I am wondering. It looked quite different from the others around.
Although rather an unusual lip patterning nothing there to rule out SMO and it doesn't better fit with anything else. However it would be good to know what the leaves looked like and what other plants were growing nearby.

Rich M
Old Today, 16:16   #96
maaren

Thanks Rich,

I am a bit of a newbie, but from memory mainly what I thought were "normal" SMOs. I have attached the only other picture I made (although I doubt it will help).

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6475-1200x675.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	628768  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: