• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unknown hummingbird and passerine from Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

eptesicus

Hi folks

Could You help me in identification of the hummingbird from mist forest of Poas Volcano, Costa Rica, August 2013? I carefully checked all hummingbird plates in Collins Birds of Mexico and Central America - with no effect. Sorry for poor quality of photos - if I had better, I would probably identify them by myself

Attachments

• IMG_9949.JPG
    IMG_9949.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9950.jpg
    IMG_9950.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
Another problematic bird for Costa Rica. A passerine from lowland rain forest of Corcovado NP, Osa Peninsula, near La Sirena ranger station.

Attachments

• IMG_6608.JPG
    IMG_6608.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 47
Your hummingbird is a Fiery-throated Hummingbird. The second bird is a Black-cheeked Ant-Tanager, a species almost entirely restricted to the Osa Peninsula, an awesome find!

Female Fiery-throated Hummingbird seems likely for the first one. The second one does not ring a bell right now

Niels

PS: I did not see NTBirdmans answer before posting mine. It seems you did not succeed in uploading a couple of additional photos?

Many thanks, ntbirdman. You convinced me that my Collins should be thrown into fire ;-) The species shown in the photos only barely resemble their counterparts in the book :-(

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back