• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suspected Shearwater - Miyakejima Ferry, Japan (1 Viewer)

mustap

Observed November 17th on board ferry from Miyakejima to Tokyo. Weather and photographic opportunities were terrible: 50kph sustained winds with gusts to 80kph....and light to heavy rain. There was fear that the Ferry would not return to Tokyo based on the conditions.

This specific bird seemed to be much more long-winged to the suspected streaked shearwaters i observed. The only other shearwater mentioned by my japanese bird guide is wedge-tailed shearwater.

I understand that ID may not be possible based on the poor image, i was just wondering what other possibilities there might be at this time of year. Incidentally, I was able to observe/photograph Laysan and Black-footed Albatross on this ferry trip as well.

First image is the bird in question, the other images are a suspected streaked shearwater i observed for reference.

Attachments

• Shearwater_IMG_8217-L.jpg
    Shearwater_IMG_8217-L.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Miyakejima_Shearwater_DSC06457-L.jpg
    Miyakejima_Shearwater_DSC06457-L.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 159
  • Miyakejima_Shearwater_Crop_DSC06457-L.jpg
    Miyakejima_Shearwater_Crop_DSC06457-L.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 172
Thank you all for the feedback. In retrospect, Albatross fits. At the time it seemed smaller and more acrobatic. But I guess in those winds, anything flying might look acrobatic.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back