• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assorted Waders, Oare Marshes, Kent (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

Assorted Waders, Oare Marshes, Kent *UPDATE* Now with Terns

I was down at Oare Marshes on Monday and amounst the tons of stuff that was around and readily identifiable (Redshank, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Avocet, Blackwit, Curlew Sand, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Ruff, Lapwing, Curlew, Knot) I spotted a few birds which I wasn't quite so sure on. I do have photos, but unfortunatly none of them are that great quality, but I'd really appreciate any identifications people would be able to help me with!

Where applicable, I've left the redshanks in the pictures to help judge scale.

1) (Bird at the Back) - I presume this is a redshank, but just checking on the basis that it doesn't have the red legs and seemed a little larger than the others.

2) Again, I presume this is a redshank, but it seemed paler/greyer, more lightly built and more leggy than the others. But it also doesn't have the right beak for a spotted redshank.

3) Looing at the brown bird in the foreground - unfortunatly this is the only photo of the bird I got, but it has a fairly long curved black beak. I'd guess whimbrel (way too small for curlew), but it seemed a bit chunkier than whimbrel I've seen before.

4) Looking at the smaller, rear bird, it's obviously one of the smaller waders, but I'm not sure which one - the beak is too short for dunlin or curlew sand - I'm going to go out on a limb here (and probably end up looking stupid doing so) but was thinking perhaps little stint (which had been around the reserve in the last few days) but as that's a species I've never seen I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• redshankything1.jpg
    redshankything1.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 153
  • redshankything2.jpg
    redshankything2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 158
  • whimbrel.jpg
    whimbrel.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 179
  • smallwader1.jpg
    smallwader1.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
For me:

1. Redshank.
2. Redshank.
3. Curlew (foreground)/Whimbrel - can't see head pattern or bill though...
4. Curlew Sandpiper.

Thanks for the help! Unless a load of people come in here and suggest suggest otherwise the majority seems to be confirming my original ID of little stint then? The brown thing in 3 seems a bit more elusive though and I'm guessing a positive ID without being able to see its face is unlikely?

While I'm here though, and to save me making a new thread, I'd meant to upload these two terns too - the first one is at an awkward angle and I'm not even sure an ID could be extracted. The second is presumably an immature, arctic, common or little, but I don't know enough about identifying pre-adult terns to make a call on it.

Thanks again for any help!

Attachments

• ternb.jpg
    ternb.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 72
  • ternc.jpg
    ternc.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 76
Hi Alex,

The wader in pic 3, I think we can safely say is a Bar Tailed Godwit, note the straight with a slight upturn bill, this with the streaky upperparts leaves us with Barwit.

The Terns look to be Common Terns.

1 and 2 are redshank, then we have a barwit with a redshank, then a juvenile dunlin with a redshank (black belly spots)

For the terns I agree with common

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back