• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

more from Jeddah (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello everyone

got more visitors i could not determine :eek!:

1- pipit taken in a palm orchards. i gave up , just can't tell.

2- warbler taken in a desert bush i am guessing a sub alpine, sardinian, or female barred.

3- what i think is a red backed shrike and Howard want to check.

thanks ;)

Attachments

• ukpipit.jpg
    ukpipit.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 144
  • ukwarbler.jpg
    ukwarbler.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 120
  • rbs2.jpg
    rbs2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 131
May as well take the plunge;

1. No idea either, malar stripe looks v strong and bill v fine, any other pics?
2. Subalpine Warbler
3. Woodchat Shrike

1. Tree Pipit
2. Subalpine Warbler?

3.Red Backed Shrike. P.

Put ? on wrong bird, should be on pic 1.

Last edited:
wow, yes James i do think that 3 is a woodchat rather than a red-backed, i have noticed the behaviour is different, loooool.

attached is another shot of the pipit.

and also a shot of a plover i guess it is the kentish. and a tern. if you please help.

thanks again.

Attachments

• ms1.jpg
    ms1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 109
  • pipit2.jpg
    pipit2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Kne P.jpg
    Kne P.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 88
  • fly tern4.jpg
    fly tern4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
No way is the Shrike a Woodchat! It's a Red-Backed.

I would go with Tree Pipit, Juv Ringed Plover and still thinking about the tern...

edit: Not familiar with the sp. but how about White-cheeked Tern?

Last edited:
Exactly, re the shrike. We have commented on this bird before Ammadoux, if this is a Woodchat, where's the pale rump?

Fair point, looking at the first photo the wings are fully closed obscuring any rump, I was looking more at the braces which appear to be fairly clear suggesting woodchat rather than Red-backed. It's a problem with i.d. from Collins is that it doesn't take into account regional variation, this bird is beyond that region so there could be variations. I'm happy to be wrong.

No problem Jim, though I disagree with looking at the first photo the wings are fully closed obscuring any rump. It's clearly visible under the closed wings, just slightly in shadow.

ok why i go with the woodchat, because of time of visit, i get the red-backed from 20 August until 20th September maybe until 25th the max. and they stay at least for a weak. the woodchat usually appear after the 20th and always on high branches and never more than 2 days visit 3 the max.

i have noticed this behavior in my 8 years of watching them in this garden.

and yes rockfowl i have posted a thread about this one before but Howard King was not happy with the id and asked for another picture.

about the white cheeked tern, as in the field guide some do winter the red sea. but i am not good with id of tern and certainly not when they are in flight.

so you all agree on a tree pipit.

thank all again.

Hi there,
I am wondering if the tern may be a juvenile Common? Not the easiest angle to tell, but the pale base to the lower mandible suggests Common or White-cheeked, and the prominent carpal bar looks much better to my eyes for Common.
The pipit is certainly a Tree for me (relatively thick bill with pinkish base to lower mandible, fine flank streaking, a slight dark loral stripe, a faint ear covert spot etc), the warbler does look like a Subalpine on first glance, though I would have to check what else is possible there, and the shrike certainly looks like a juv/1st-w Red-backed to me: the lower scapulars are not pale enough for Woodchat, there is no pale rump, and no pale patch at the base of the primaries.

Yes Ammadous i am happy with Tree Pipit, especialy with the secound photo, as i am happy with the shrike being Red Backed & the warbler being Subalpine. Cheers, P.

Well think all ID's have been clinched except the tern

1) Shrike - imm Red-backed
2) Warbler - female Subalpine (albeit rather washed out)
3)Pipit - Tree
4) Plover - imm Ringed
5) Tern - 1st winter White-cheeked...dark legs, white leading edge to primaries and head pattern all point to this species..rump colour would clinch it

Sean

Last edited:
Last edited:
ahhh sorry Howard busy day made me really lose concentration i should have been more careful in quoting, looool.

so it is a red-backed, subalpine, tree pipit and white -cheecked tern.

thanks all for the great help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back