• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full frame query. (1 Viewer)

As a FF user now. I would agree. It doesn't make you a better photographer but it does alleviate certain issue like low light shooting. I used to worry all the time about my ISO settings on my T2i. I don't even bother with the 5D3. I left it on auto ISO and I know the result is going to be good no matter what. the other thing I like about FF is the shallower depth of field at the same aperture.

At the end of the day. They are just tools to help us facilitate toward our end result. I found it easier to work with an FF but crop camera are no slouch and should not be prevent you from obtaining amazing result.

Ooops, of course you told us the rationale for buying one of Canon's most expensive offerings. It performs better.
And the 1DX performs better still it seems, and so it should, it costs more.

I think that if you are having issue shooting bird with the 5D3 , the 1DX won't help you. There is also skilled that needs to be perfected before you really gain advantage from a faster body.

I haven't used a 5D3 for BIF but I can tell you that the 1DX is markedly better than the 1D4 for this type of photography. Many users tell me that they prefer the 1D4 to the 5D3 for BIF - but I have no personal experience.
One of the files I sent to Dave was of a Bittern in flight, unfortunately I was expecting the bird to be wading rather than flying so I wasn't set up for it. Still all the frames were in focus - well until the reeds got in the way - even the 1DX ain't that good!

Soon there will be cameras operating at 60 frames per second at 40 megapixels, and bird in flight shots will become "too easy" and everyone who can afford the equipment will be able to take them.

Soon there will be cameras operating at 60 frames per second at 40 megapixels, and bird in flight shots will become "too easy" and everyone who can afford the equipment will be able to take them.

You are absolutely right in that as technology advances it becomes more affordable to everyone and that's great. Despite the relative high cost of equipment today it's more affordable than it was when it was first available. I'm probably sat on a computer that has more power than the one NASA had to send man to the moon. The world of professional photography has taken a huge knock when everyone can now take 100 shots instead of 1 in the hope that one comes out right, but the professionals are still there because they have had to up their game too_One of the reasons they have been able to keep ahead is improved technology and the knowledge of how to use it creatively.
There's more to action shots than BIF pictures, most of us can manage to capture straight forward flight shots without too many problems.
From a personal point of view I want to challenge myself to get better results, try to be more creative and if there is something that will help me achieve this end, why not ?

I haven't used a 5D3 for BIF but I can tell you that the 1DX is markedly better than the 1D4 for this type of photography. Many users tell me that they prefer the 1D4 to the 5D3 for BIF - but I have no personal experience.
One of the files I sent to Dave was of a Bittern in flight, unfortunately I was expecting the bird to be wading rather than flying so I wasn't set up for it. Still all the frames were in focus - well until the reeds got in the way - even the 1DX ain't that good!

Well if it lost when reeds got in the way it's because he didn't have the right AF settings :). 5d3 and 1dx can cope with that. They use the same algorithms

Well if it lost when reeds got in the way it's because he didn't have the right AF settings :). 5d3 and 1dx can cope with that. They use the same algorithms

I think you miss the point Miguel..the Bittern disappeared in to the reed bed.
Now if a 1D X-ray was available...!!!!!

You are absolutely right in that as technology advances it becomes more affordable to everyone and that's great. Despite the relative high cost of equipment today it's more affordable than it was when it was first available. I'm probably sat on a computer that has more power than the one NASA had to send man to the moon. The world of professional photography has taken a huge knock when everyone can now take 100 shots instead of 1 in the hope that one comes out right, but the professionals are still there because they have had to up their game too_One of the reasons they have been able to keep ahead is improved technology and the knowledge of how to use it creatively.
There's more to action shots than BIF pictures, most of us can manage to capture straight forward flight shots without too many problems.
From a personal point of view I want to challenge myself to get better results, try to be more creative and if there is something that will help me achieve this end, why not ?

Owning a Ferrari doesn't you make you a better driver. So people who strive to improve their craft will always be on top of the game. If anything, people are leaving behind their big camera for mirrorless and smartphone. We are the odd one who still like to use, and I am using this term loosely, traditional cameras.

Do you I need 30 FPS and 150 AF point ? Probably not, would I like to have it in my camera ? sure. You ask me why I upgrade to a FF. It's not because I needed it. The reason was I could afford it. Its nice to shot at shooting more than 800 ISO and have no noise. Its a perk. not a need. at least for me.

Owning a Ferrari doesn't you make you a better driver. So people who strive to improve their craft will always be on top of the game. If anything, people are leaving behind their big camera for mirrorless and smartphone. We are the odd one who still like to use, and I am using this term loosely, traditional cameras.

Do you I need 30 FPS and 150 AF point ? Probably not, would I like to have it in my camera ? sure. You ask me why I upgrade to a FF. It's not because I needed it. The reason was I could afford it. Its nice to shot at shooting more than 800 ISO and have no noise. Its a perk. not a need. at least for me.

We have found common ground ! I'm 100% with you on that. :t:

The advantages of FF vs a cropped sensor: -
A stop or more in noise performance
Smaller DOF at a given distance and aperture

For bird photography though you want pixel density and fps. Usually most of the FF is cropped away anyway (certainly with me). In an ideal world, I'm sure both the 1DX and D4s would be better birding camera's if they were cropped sensor instead of FF.

Unfortunately camera manufacturers don't make cropped sensor professional camera's anymore. Indeed they've abandoned the semi-pro DX for a long while as well. Hopefully this will change and we'll soon see the 7D mk 2 and the D9300 (D400).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back