• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EII Coatings. (1 Viewer)

Binastro

What were the coatings like on EIIs produced about 2007 to 2009?

Where improvements made later, and are they significant?

The more complicated question is how to accurately date EIIs produced during those, or any, years. So far, despite years of effort (primarily by Brock) no satisfactory dating scheme has been devised, as Nikon's serial numbers are that: serial.

The more complicated question is how to accurately date EIIs produced during those, or any, years. So far, despite years of effort (primarily by Brock) no satisfactory dating scheme has been devised, as Nikon's serial numbers are that: serial.

All the SNs of the 8x30s began with the number 5. (as in 503768) [10x35 began with different numbers.] Theoretically when the coatings changed on them the 2nd number of the serial number changed and a new series began. (as in 510088). Nobody knows this for sure but it was observed that these changes came about every few years. Brock did have a history of sorts when these numbers were changed. It happened like this with the SEs too.

Bob

Last edited:

I believe the EII models from those years and newer are much the same.

The later 8x30 EII models have a ser. # starting with 800***, and the
10x35 later models have numbers over 004***, and this is from some
I am familiar with.

Earlier models of the 8x30 as mentioned by Bob started with
the 500***, and the 10x35 started with 300***.

That means there are ser.# ranges, that probably lasted for several years
until they started a new series.

The 8x30 and 10x35 EII models were introduced in 1999, and Allbinos has a very nice review of this cult classic.
Take a look at their Legendary binoculars article.

As far as coatings, I have not compared older ones to the newer, but if they
are like the SE models the newer coatings are a nice step better. The
newer EII models also have the newer black hard armor, where the earlier
ones had the tactile rubber armor.

Jerry

Last edited:

I've had three 8x30 EIIs and three 10x35 EIIs. The jump in coatings comes in the black body models. The gray body model with the thin rubber armoring that sometimes peels off in hot, humid weather was made earlier and has older coatings. Still, good, but not as contrasty as the black body EIIs.

To me, the contrast was significantly improved, so if given the choice, I would go with the black body model. Having said that, the best sample I had was one of gray body samples because it had the widest sweet spot and the least pincushion. It was a "cherry." I could spend the rest of my born days looking for a black body model that matches it.

Brock

Thank you all for your helpful answers.

P.S.
It seems that I have been lucky and have a later black covered model.
It does seem to be a very fine binocular in very nice condition.

Eye relief is listed as 13.8mm for 8x30 and 10x35 version.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back