• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-200 F4L + 1.4x mk3 teleconvertor combo happiness (1 Viewer)

Gaz1969uk

Hello

I was wondering if I'd benefit much upgrading to a 400mm f5.6L from my current 70-200 F4L non is and 1.4x mk3 teleconvertor?

I do love the sharpness and speed of this setup, and with the new teleconvertor I can't see any noticeable difference in image quality with it on.

Would the 400mm f5.6 be sharper?

I'd love a bit more reach but I'm worried I may be restricting myself with just a fixed focal length lens.

My images now are stunning quality and more than happy with that part. It's just the reach.

Would you be happy or would you change?

Thanks Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I would aim to get a 100-400 MK2 version. It's quite a bit more expensive but you won't be disappointed as it's a superb piece of kit. You keep the zoom flexibility and it will perform extremely well if you add your 1.4 TC too.With a minimum focus distance of only 0.98m it makes a good macro lens too.

On the other hand, from all accounts ( I have never owned one) the 400f5.6 is an excellent piece of kit too and you can find them on the used market for considerably less than the price of a 100-400MK2. Someone will no doubt be able to answer specific questions about performance with a 1.4TC although you will notice that it's not an IS lens and the minimum focus distance is 3.50m.

For birding you will probably often want more reach than achievable at 400mm with or without a TC but the zoom certainly gives a lot more flexibility if you turn your hand to other subject matter.

I would agree with Dave - probably why I bought the Canon 100-400 Mk2!
Although heavier (and more expensive) it will do nearly everything that your 70-200 does. If the F4 constant aperture and the 70-100mm range are not critical the Canon 100-400 Mk2 could replace your 70-200 and give you the longer reach that you require. Additionally the 100-400 Mk2 works quite well with your 1.4 Mk3 extender and, depending on which camera body you use, give serviceable AF too.
I am very happy with mine - give one a try.

I have both the 70-200 f4 IS and the 100-400 MkII also used the 400/5.6 for many years. I would agree with Dave and John that the 100-400 Mk2 is the way to go, sharp wide open and I am still surprised at just how well it handles a 1.4x tc considering its at f8. The 100-400 Mk2 performs better than the 400/5.6 with a 1.4x tc IMHO.
I guess a lot depends on how near you can get to your targets but for me (and most folks I guess) your current set-up of 280mm max is just too short for bird photography.

Hi Gary
a lot depends on your budget. I use a 400 f5.6 with a 7d2. As stated above you can now pick one up for as little as £500 used.
I find it a brilliant lens as i use it quite a lot for BIF shots and it is light and easily hand held and autofocus is really fast. I shoot a lot in spain so light is good and high shutter speed is not a problem so don't miss the IS too much.
I can count the number of times I wished for closer focus or the flexibility of a zoom on one hand.
I believe the new mark11 zoom is as fast focussing and just as sharp so if you have the funds I would consider this the route to go. If not I wouldn't hesitate on trying the 400 f5.6

I can email you some photos taken with this lens if you wish as if posted here they lose too much definition to make a sound judgement

Karl

Gary, here is a few I have snapped recently with the 7D2 and 100-400 mk2 to give an idea of IQ (which may not be up to your standard but gives you an idea). The first 2 are at 400mm and the last one is with a 1.4 converter so 560mm - all hand held.

Attachments

• black-tailed godwit 01PN lab.jpg
    black-tailed godwit 01PN lab.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 122
  • blackwit 02PN lab.jpg
    blackwit 02PN lab.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 128
  • bt godwit preening 01PN lab small.jpg
    bt godwit preening 01PN lab small.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for the replies all, yeah the 400 f5.6 is on my hit list, I need to get rid of my stuff first, if you know anyone 👍 the 100-400 is too much off for me to spend or it would be a contender and those last photos off Roy are super, looks ni e and sharp and even with converter, does it af ok at f8 ? If I could only find a nice 400 f5.6 that the owner would like to swap for my pair..

Appreciate all the info and replies.

Hi Gary
I am from South Manchester and can come out your way for a day out if you would like to try my 400 f5.6 to see if it suits your needs. I'm not looking to sell mine but it would give you an idea of its capabilities and how it handles. I have family in Stoke so could combine the two.
I am away in Spain from 28th Sept to 15th Oct but could meet after that if you wish.
I am not a sad loner after friends but someone who appreciates trying to make the right lens choice on a restricted budget.
The offers there but not offended at all if you are not intetested

Karl

Thanks for the replies all, yeah the 400 f5.6 is on my hit list, I need to get rid of my stuff first, if you know anyone the 100-400 is too much off for me to spend or it would be a contender and those last photos off Roy are super, looks ni e and sharp and even with converter, does it af ok at f8 ? If I could only find a nice 400 f5.6 that the owner would like to swap for my pair..

Appreciate all the info and replies.

Gary, it is the Camera that determines if you can AF at f8. I use the 7D2 and the 5D3 and they are both capable of AF at f8. So to answer your question it depends on which Camera you have.
As you seem OK with a non IS lens then the 400/5.6 is a cracking good option (I have probably taken almost 100k of shots with it so know the lens very well). and will give you a fair bit more reach than your current lens combo.
MBP have a couple of 400/5.6 lenses at £669 each - they will also buy your old gear (they have the 70-200 f4 non IS for sale at £364 so you would not get that much for yours I am afraid). It would cost you nothing to contact them to see what they would give you in part exchange for a 400/5.6.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back