• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1D Mark2 (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
Hi all,
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Canon 1D Mark II. The camera has been used in a studio, and has 53,000 actuations. Asking price is 1500 U.S.
Question: Given that the sensor is in great shape, and the shutter should go to 200k actuations, would you consider this a good buy?
Also, although I have looked in a LARGE number of places (including Canon) am I correct in thinking that I can retain autofocus with an f4 lens?
Thanks for the help.
Lisa

All the Canon DSLR bodies will retain AF with lenses with max aperture of f5.6 or larger (f4 or f2.8). A 1 series body will retain AF even at a max aperture of f8, meaing you can put a 2x tc on an f4 lens and still get AF. Looking at the exchange rate it seems like a good price for the camera, is it a 1D mk II or a 1D mk IIN?

Thanks, Peter.
A 1 series body will retain AF even at a max aperture of f8, meaing you can put a 2x tc on an f4 lens and still get AF.
I knew I would screw up that part of the question. So if I understand correctly, I could also use my old Sigma 50-500mm, a 5.6, with a 1.4 teleconverter.
Looking at the exchange rate it seems like a good price for the camera, is it a 1D mk II or a 1D mk IIN?
It is a 1D mk II not the IIN.
Lisa
It is a Mark II not a Mark IIN.

I knew I would screw up that part of the question. So if I understand correctly, I could also use my old Sigma 50-500mm, a 5.6, with a 1.4 teleconverter.

In theory a f5.6 lens becomes an f8 lens when used with a 1.4x tc, however (as I understand it) for 50-500 is really f6.3 at the long end but 'lies' to the camera in order to get AF. So the lens would really become an f9 when you add a 1.4x tc though it would tell the camera it was f8 so it should still AF...

What I'm saying is that in thoery you should get AF with a 1.4x but I'd want to hear from someone who has used the combination to be sure that there are no problems.

What I'm saying is that in thoery you should get AF with a 1.4x but I'd want to hear from someone who has used the combination to be sure that there are no problems

I used this combination with my 1DsII - same AF max apeture as the 1DII. My teleconvertor is a Kenko Pro 1.4. I found it would autofocus, although slowly with some hunting for focus. It worked better after I taped the pins on the TC, and predictably in better light. I would suggest using the centre point only for AF with this combo, as it is the most sensitive in the array.

On the question of value for money, my local dealer has a 1D mk2 body up for £900 which is boxed with all manuals, discs & leads and is showing a shutter count of 2500 shots.

This would equal approximately $1800 US so I am not sure that this heavily used body is a good deal, it depends on the resale values on secondhand your side of the pond.

Thanks all for the responses.
I also have a 400mm prime, 5.6 and the 100-400 5.6, so the question on the 50-500mm was to see if I should go ahead and sell it or use it with a 1D.
Based on Karl's answer, I think I might wait and see if I can find one with less actuations.
I am sure now that I will get one when the right opportunity arises.
Appreciate the help,
Lisa

CC - any link to this item as I am looking for one meself

Afraid not as it is a camera shop in Newport up a side street, cannot even think of the name at the moment but I will be down there Friday & let you know by PM.

Lisa, sorry I am a little late to this - missed it before. That price sounds reasonable for the US (assuming it has all the cables, chargers, manuals etc). The usage doesn't sound like too much to me for a mkII and it was used in a studio, so probably wasn't put down in wet mud or used near saltwater etc. like many of us do photographing birds etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back