• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's going on with these wings (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Okay, I'm fairly certain this is a Red-shouldered but correct me if I'm wrong.

What I am really interested in is the cutouts on each wing. For the whole 10 minutes or so this hawk circled overhead the cutouts were evident at all times so I don't think wind had anything to do with it.

Attachments

• DSC_0006a.jpg
    DSC_0006a.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0013a.jpg
    DSC_0013a.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 96
Moult might have everything to do with it. In raptors, moult in the flight feathers happen a few feathers at a time, to allow the bird to continue flying and hunting. It starts with the feather(s) falling off, after which they are replaced by new feathers growing out. I do not have any books that go into detail with timing of moult in US hawks, so I cannot know if the time of year is typical for Red-shouldered H.

The alternative explanation could be damage to a couple of feathers, but that rarely results in the symmetrical pattern seen in your images.

Cheers
Niels

Hey KC,

Like many raptors, Red-shouldered Hawks molt their flight feathers symmetrically (like this).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back