• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

Thankyou Zhang Li,

Failed to find any in Hebei, though the stint numbers were low so no surprise. I did hear of one being seen by a Chinese birder during the International Bird Race but the location was rather loosely described and its a big coast!

Mark

forgot to add:
one in breeding plumage photoed at Beilun Estuary NR,Fangchenggang,Guangxi on 27 Apr by Ma Yanju.
It's quite close to Vietnam.
At Rudong more shorebirds coming back but I will miss the first Spooner this autumn until I come back from Vietnam.

forgot to add:
one in breeding plumage photoed at Beilun Estuary NR,Fangchenggang,Guangxi on 27 Apr by Ma Yanju.
It's quite close to Vietnam.
At Rudong more shorebirds coming back but I will miss the first Spooner this autumn until I come back from Vietnam.

One SBS was seen at Khok Kham, Inner Gulf of Thailand on 21st July 2010. follow this link for more info . Not quite China but thought readers maybe interested. gerry

http://www.bcst.or.th/index.php?opt...28-10-12-58&catid=1:latest&Itemid=108&lang=en

Last edited:
first autumn SPs comes to Xiao Yang Kou,Rudong China

One of birders from Shanghai, has got a nice shot of Spoon-billed Sandpiper on last Sunday. See the attached picture. This is the first one we have for the autumn migrant.
Next week Rudong SPS survey will start!
photo by Juming

Attachments

• 2010 autumn 1st spoon.jpg
    2010 autumn 1st spoon.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 163
on 24 Aug in Rudong,we saw 4 on one of the high tide roost and then 6 on one of the feeding ground.Total number should be 8+.
25 Aug KFC and I visited another high tide roost while tongmenxiu stayed at the same place as in 24 Aug.He got 6 and we got 2.Total number is 8 in which there was a different individual from the ones on 24 Aug.

On 11 Sep we visited Jianggang,Dongtai where I saw Spooner in spring.This time we didnt see any Spooner.
On 12 Sep we were in Rudong but not enough time to find it.
On 13 in Rudong I saw one non-br while Terry Townshend saw one br.On 14 at another spot 10km from the one on 13 we saw three non-br.So on 13/14 we actually saw 4+.

This looks like a juv

24 Sep,Hengsha Island,Shanghai by Chai Yujia.
Total number is two.

Attachments

• hengsha20100924.jpg
    hengsha20100924.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 121
24 Sep,Hengsha Island,Shanghai by Chai Yujia.
Total number is two.

I think you could be right. It seems to agree with images here of a bird identified as a juvenile.

That's good news. Is this the only potential juvenile anyone has seen so far this autumn?

Ken

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back