• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 40D has packed-up (1 Viewer)

Sorry to hear this yet again Roy, I think it's dissgusting that so many people are having trouble with the 40D.
I too am on my second one as the first one came up with the dredded error 99, luckyly it was still in warranty, I wonder if the 50D has any of the same issues, if so I dont think I'll bother.
If it was me I would phone Canon for their advice & a price if any!.

I don`t believe that too many people are having problems with Canon cameras. Unfortunately when somebody has a problem it is highlighted due to it being the exception rather than the rule. I, personally, can only think of a maximum of five people on here that have had probs with their cameras. And most of them, like Rob, suffered due to a mirror malfunction in the 1DMkIII.
Touch wood...HaHa I have had no probs whatsoever with my 40D. Now that is tempting fate !

Hi Roy,
Am so sorry you are having problems with the 40d - I started to have and because of all the others that were commenting on focussing problems I changed it to the 50d. However how long it will last is anybody's guess. At the moment it is great!
My view is definitely that of contacting Canon direct - I feel that you must have a strong case for free repair as has already been said through the Sale of Goods act. Lucky you have back up - I too am relieved to have my old 20d in case of problems.
Perhaps all of us should contact Canon and comment on this problem - it seems there are quite a few - I certainly know of people who are not Bird Forum subscribers.

Hi Roy,

Sorry you are having problems. It seems this is a fairly common problem - at least not a one-off.
I would suggest that you write to The Customer Service Manager, Canon UK, Woodhatch, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 8BF and give him/her a link to this thread! Or you could give them a call - Telephone no: 01737 220 000

It is not unreasonable for you to expect a 'quality' product to give good service for an extended period and canon should do the repair FOC as a gesture of goodwill.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and support in this one :t:
As an update I rang Canon and was told that I would have to pay for the repair - to this end I have now sent the Camera to 'Fixation' for repair. My priority is to get the Camera back up and running (although the trusted 30D has served me well over the past 4 or 5 days!).
Once I get the Camera back I may well write a letter of complaint to Canon.

Canon really need to look into this, I deliberated so long before buying a D40 due to the frequent reports of breakdown, really they need to work on reliability instead of upgrading so often. So far mine has been perfect, but it's only 3 months old.

Sorry about the sick 40D, Roy. I bought mine new in the summer and it was dead out of the box. It would not record any image and the mirror seemed to work OK. Probably a bad sensor. So much for quality control! Good luck with your repair.

I think its a bit naff of Canon not to repair this as its only 6 weeks out of warranty even if they repaired it at a reduced cost.Roy do you shoot at the high speed setting asI just wonder how many photographers that have had their shutters fail continuously shoot at 6 frames per second.

I think its a bit naff of Canon not to repair this as its only 6 weeks out of warranty even if they repaired it at a reduced cost.Roy do you shoot at the high speed setting asI just wonder how many photographers that have had their shutters fail continuously shoot at 6 frames per second.
Hi Graham, I always have the Hi continuous mode set and ready although I mostly just fire off a couple of shot bursts. I did the same with the 350D and 30D and neither of them failed.

Last edited:
40D pack up

My 40D failed with the built in flash failing to deploy after 11 months of ownership. I bought it at Best Buy for $1400 and a three year extended warranty for 2-3 hundred more. I am unsure on that but am sure on this. Best Buy sent the camera in for repair. The repair facility decided not to repair the camera. Best Buy issued me a full in store credit for the $1400 camera cost and pro rated the warranty. I reciebed a store credit for $1700 plus. I used the 40D for 11 months at a cost of $29! I took the credit and bought a 50D and another extended warranty. Those warranties are a gamble but look what a pay off. Icing on the cake. I retained the original kit lens, a 28-135. The new 50D came with the same lens. I sold the new 28-135 and kept the old one!

Hi Roy, I would have contacted the C.A.B. on this issue, don,t know if you did? Items so expensive such as Camera,s should not pack up just outside the 12 month cover period.
I was hoping to upgrade this year to this model from my 2 year old 350d, which has served me well(even after being dropped from a hide shelve). Having second thoughts on it now after reading about all the problems, if i do i think a extended warranty will be looked into.
Hope you get the camera back soon.

As an update, I have just been told by Fixation that Canon UK have agreed to pay the cost of my repair (it was the shutter that was gone). Canon are still king :king:

As an update, I have just been told by Fixation that Canon UK have agreed to pay the cost of my repair (it was the shutter that was gone). Canon are still king :king:

Roy superb but I did indicate that earlier in the thread, as far as I'm concerned FixationUK is the only repairer in town, excellent outcome

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back