• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lens.....help (1 Viewer)

vivster

hi ive been looking about on fourm about lenes...i have the canon 400d and kenko 2x tc....ive been looking at the old sigma 170 500mm or newer ones like the .. 150 500mm and also the tamoron 200 500mm i have about £650 to spend...do i got for old one save some cash or get the newer lens..

thanks for any help..

these are just exsaples ive cam across......

Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG Lens For Canon Digital & Film SLR Cameras second hand
Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX DG Lens - Canon Fit....£709.99
Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM for Canon Digital and Film SLR Cameras £698.80
Tamron - AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Lens for Canon £744.46

Last edited:
I'd go for the Tamron myself (only because I ued to have one), but whichever you go for you won't be able to use the converter with it very effectively. The image quality would be really bad.

second hand

I have never ordered a used lens or even used one...have thought of it for a macro.... Do people get burned on these or going through ebay etc is a pretty good deal?

Fwiw

hi ive been looking about on fourm about lenes...i have the canon 400d and kenko 2x tc....ive been looking at the old sigma 170 500mm or newer ones like the .. 150 500mm and also the tamoron 200 500mm i have about £650 to spend...do i got for old one save some cash or get the newer lens..

thanks for any help..

these are just exsaples ive cam across......

Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG Lens For Canon Digital & Film SLR Cameras second hand
Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX DG Lens - Canon Fit....£709.99
Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM for Canon Digital and Film SLR Cameras £698.80
Tamron - AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Lens for Canon £744.46

If you can afford it, I'd probably recommend going with the new 150-500 OS to get the warranty. Now that experienced long lens users are getting out reports, it appears to be a good contender.

I'd stay away from the old 170-500 - hard to get a good copy. The Bigma & Tamron versions are known quantities but lack OS

I have never ordered a used lens or even used one...have thought of it for a macro.... Do people get burned on these or going through ebay etc is a pretty good deal?

I've bought two lenses 2nd hand - both great buys! They were from reputable retailers who were having sales and therefore offering lower than normal prices. I would'nt use ebay, but thats probably just me being over cautious.

Rhod

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back