Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 26th September 2017, 18:58   #1
Freako

Sharper images

Hi Guys, What advice would you give for shooting Woodland birds on a dull day to obtain sharper image? I usually shoot in AV - 400iso as a standard but seem to struggle to know what to do when the light is poor. Any help would be much appreciated. Mick.
Old Tuesday 26th September 2017, 21:11   #2
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freako View Post
Hi Guys, What advice would you give for shooting Woodland birds on a dull day to obtain sharper image? I usually shoot in AV - 400iso as a standard but seem to struggle to know what to do when the light is poor. Any help would be much appreciated. Mick.
Getting sharp photos in low light is always a challenge.

My experience is that slow shutter speeds are mostly the problem. You might need to crank up ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds to freeze movement (1/250 or even higher).

Depending on what lens you have, things might get sharper if stopping down slightly.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 26th September 2017 at 21:17.
Old Tuesday 26th September 2017, 22:14   #3
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Getting sharp photos in low light is always a challenge.

My experience is that slow shutter speeds are mostly the problem. You might need to crank up ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds to freeze movement (1/250 or even higher).

Depending on what lens you have, things might get sharper if stopping down slightly.
A good bit higher. Even 1/320 sec is too slow if the bird decides to do something simple like turn its head. Greenfinch at 1/320.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4916-1-320sec-800web.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	641016  
Old Wednesday 27th September 2017, 07:27   #4
Keebs
If I fire off enough shots, maybe just one of 'em will be a photo!

400 ISO is definitely too low for a UK dull day. I don't know what focal length you're using but I think most of us are 400mm+ when shooting birds.

It's very much technique-related and experienced photographers can make sharp images @ 1/250 with IS, but I personally would be aiming to get a shutter speed of at least 1/800 for hand-holding and 1/400 on a tripod, and that's with IS.
Without IS - double it.

I only use ISO 400 in very bright sunny conditions, for UK woodland and dull days you really need 1600 or 3200 to get a decent shutter speed. Don't worry about noise too much, just get the shot well exposed to the right and the noise should be easy to remove.

Remember you can deal with noise subsequently, but you can't deal with blur.

Hope this helps.

And more pixels here... http://paulkeeble.zenfolio.com
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: