• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vote for better all-rounder 7x35 or 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
7x35 and 8x30/32 porros. In my book the advantage of the 8x30 I have is its size, though the 7x35s win in field, ep, and ease of use. 8x32 is a darn popular configuration if roofs these days as well. It used to be one only had to chose between 7x35s and 10x50s. If Nikon had given their E 7x35 a more modern eyepiece, ~8.5 degrees or so, I would've bought a dozen of them.

It isn't an easy voting. But I give my vote to a 7x35. Larger FOV and brighter image. The perfect allround binocular would be a Swarovski EL 7x35...

Robert Ellis said:
7x35 and 8x30/32 porros. In my book the advantage of the 8x30 I have is its size, though the 7x35s win in field, ep, and ease of use. 8x32 is a darn popular configuration if roofs these days as well. It used to be one only had to chose between 7x35s and 10x50s. If Nikon had given their E 7x35 a more modern eyepiece, ~8.5 degrees or so, I would've bought a dozen of them.

I prefer the 8x30/32 myself, particularly the compact versions like the Swift Ultralite. Celestron Ultima, Zeise Deltrintem, the older Bushnell Sportviews, etc. They are smaller, lighter and easier to carry than most 7x35's. They'll even fit into a large jacket pocket.

I also like the extra magnification. In most viewing situations their brightness is not noticeably darker than 7x35 glasses.

Charlie

I use the 8x30/32, with the Nikon E2 getting a plus in FOV, a minus in durabilty and waterproofing. The Leica BN getting a half minus in FOV and a plus in durability and waterproofing. The Nikon E2 has it in value.
However, the only 7x35 which I have tried, of late, was a Minolta Activa which is probably not a notable example of the class.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

7x35 is best all around glass.

I would vote for the 7x35 as the best all round binocular. Wide FOV, bright and enough magnification, and good depth of field.

Dennis

When you guys get to 10x42 let me know. Otherwise, 8x30 if it's an older, multi coated, leather-covered porro, but a 8x30/32 if it's a modern, phase coated, ergo-advanced, light weight, waterproof roof — like, for example, a Swaro 8x30/32. ;)

Elkcub

elkcub said:
When you guys get to 10x42 let me know. Otherwise, 8x30 if it's an older, multi coated, leather-covered porro, but a 8x30/32 if it's a modern, phase coated, ergo-advanced, light weight, waterproof roof — like, for example, a Swaro 8x30/32. ;)

Elkcub

Counter to popular recommendation, I choose lower power for distance birding. Too much shake for me with a 10x, with 7x I feel like I am using a scope but the birds are just farther away. I can still see them better, even with a 7x26.

If Nikon had given their E 7x35 a more modern eyepiece, ~8.5 degrees or so, I would've bought a dozen of them.

I find this funny considering our conversation in the other thread. :)

I can only compare my 7x35 E to my 8x33 Pentax XP. The E gets my vote for image quality but the size and handling of the XP wins me over. Tough comparing a porro to a roof in this case. I think it would be more cut and dry in my case if I could compare the E to an 8x32 HG. I guess I am getting too specific though. Throw my vote for the 8x32 as I feel that the 8x magnification provides a slightly more satisfying image size to my eye.

7x always makes me wish I could see closer. 8x still makes me want my 10x. I'd even trade a little optical quality for more magnification. I don't, but I would...

That being said, I'm really considering the purchase of a 7x42 Classic. Go figure.

Edit: Why go for a bulky porro when nice roofs are commonplace these days? Just my opinion.

theres only two sizes of bins I would consider personally and they are 10x40(42) and 8x30(32), don't ask me why its just the way I've learnt my trade.

The Bird.

Bulky porros? I would prefer to call them narrow roofs. They are too thin for my hands, I have to hold them with my fingertips which is uncomfortable.

FrankD why is that funny? If they had used a wide angle eyepiece I would surely be driving to your place straight away with cash in hand.

Robert Ellis said:
7x35 EL, now there's a roof I would buy. How about with a leather finish like Leica's BL?

Interestingly, Bausch & Lomb offered a rubber armored and phase coated 7 x 36 Elite just before the introduction of the ocular-end focussing versions. I owned one for a time, and liked it a lot: arguably the sharpest of all the B & L Elites (and that's a very high compliment), wide field of view and perfectly sized. Unfortunately, I could never get used to the objective-end focussing (had the same problem with a Swaro 8 x 30) and sold it. Sales of the model, I understand, were dreadful, however, due to zero interest in 7 power glasses at the time. Hopefully, the new crop of Zeiss FL and Ultravid 7s will change that. If you like the configuration and see a 7 x 36 Elite on eBay, go for it.

What Stewart said.

Although to be hypothetical; if I could get my Ultravid 8x42 as described in the "perfect bin" thread, that would be my one and only bin.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back