• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400mm + Kenko 1.4x converter - 1st impressions (1 Viewer)

You are never going to get first class results from that far away, Marislauva, but there are a few things you can do to improve.

* Use a tripod (if you are not doing that already).
* Use a lower ISO. As a rule of thumb: 400 most of the time, 800 if you need it, 200 if the light is fantastic, 1600 if you really need it, and 3200 if you are desperate.
* But don't let the shutter speed drop much below 1/1000th if you can help it. Even with a tripod, the faster the shutter, the sharper the shot.
* Try to find an opportunity to reshoot with better light. This takes a lot of paitence and some good luck!

Last, keep on practicing! The more pictures you take, the better you get at it. BTW, you could improve on that shot a fair bit with post processing, but in the end you can only get the detail that is there in the image in the first place, so there is no substitute for getting closer and having good light.

Do you have any problem with the Kenko release tab? On mine, the tab is so easy to engage that my 100-400mm lens fell off because I had accidentally pushed the release. Luckily, I had the lens firmly in hand. Now I secure the release tab with duct tape.

Bjorn

Hi Bjorn,

I've only had the converter for a few days and have only been out with it twice, but - so far - I've had no problems.

When I read your post though, I grabbed the camera and had a look to see whether I would be likely to catch the tab accidentally: I don't think I will, but I'll be extra careful just in case.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Hi Keith,
Well, maybe my copy of the Kenko converter is especially easy to disengage. Other than that, it works quite well with my 100-400mm IS.
Bjorn

Clark
how on earth did you get that close to that Heron are you invisable ?
looks like that kenco is a killer tc going by the post's here and must match the canon 1.4 or even beat it .
Rob.

Well if the Canon is better, the much lower price of the Kenko makes up for that... I'm very pleased with it.

Attachments

• stonechat1f.jpg
    stonechat1f.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 227
Very good photos KEITH. I use a 100-400 canon with 1.4 match multiplier. Even with this set up I have found with small birds it pays to be as close as you can. My best results have been taken from a hide and not on auto-focus. Also, auto-focus does not work with multiplier fitted. I also use canon 30d.
p.s. image-stabiliser should be switched off when used on a tripod.

Gordon Piper said:
Very good photos KEITH. I use a 100-400 canon with 1.4 match multiplier. Even with this set up I have found with small birds it pays to be as close as you can. My best results have been taken from a hide and not on auto-focus. Also, auto-focus does not work with multiplier fitted. I also use canon 30d.
p.s. image-stabiliser should be switched off when used on a tripod.
Gordon, AF can be achieved with this combo if you use the pin taping trick.

Yep, I get IS and surprisingly good AF with this combo and taped pins, as long as I've got light.

The latest thing I've learned - today - is that the lens/converter set up is actually pretty useful with the lens wide open, which surprises me immensely...

Attachments

• swan.jpg
    swan.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
A quick question folks, before I go and buy one.
Does a 1.4 converter alter minimum focusing distance in any way?
Thanks

Keith Reeder said:
Yep, I get IS and surprisingly good AF with this combo and taped pins, as long as I've got light.

The latest thing I've learned - today - is that the lens/converter set up is actually pretty useful with the lens wide open, which surprises me immensely...

Keith,

Just getting used to the 100-400IS tried it today with the Kenko 300pro 1.4
pins taped, no probs re AF and problems with IS. Saw in an Earlier post
your off to Norfolk soon,We are off there 14thApr 2 weeks.
Photo attached with TCon not excellent but about50ft away and cropped to
800x600.

Cheers

Les

Attachments

• feeding.jpg
    feeding.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Here are a few more from my combo to consider...

I'm still very impressed!

Attachments

• dunnock1.jpg
    dunnock1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 197
  • mipit1f.jpg
    mipit1f.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 207
  • mallard1a.jpg
    mallard1a.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 155
  • cley3f.jpg
    cley3f.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 143
  • bhg1f.jpg
    bhg1f.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Keith, you are definitely showing us what this lens set-up can accomplish. Excellent shots.

Thanks all.

What about these then?

;)

Admittedly the lapwing isn't at "400mm", but the converter is still in there somewhere.

Attachments

• lapwing1f.jpg
    lapwing1f.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 141
  • mandarin1.jpg
    mandarin1.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 136
Those are impressive shots Keith, from a combo that a cynic like me would have assumed would be a waste of time without having seen the results.
I'm toying with the idea of a 100-400 for those trips where my other lens would just be too much to carry.

Hi Robert,

I was a cynic too because of the amount of negative commentary I'd read about this combo - people who I respect (like IanF on here) have written of their disappointment.

But when Romy Ocon started to talk about how well he was getting on with a converter on his 100-400 (which he describes as a "prime sharp" copy of the lens) I thought "why not give it a go?" - my thinking being that if it didn't work out, I still needed a 1.4x converter for when I eventually get a Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS.

As things stand though, I can see the 300mm plan going on the back burner for a while!

;)

Hi Mike,

I hope you have as much fun as I'm having!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back