• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites- are they fairly rare? (1 Viewer)

xbted52

Hi,

I really hope this doesn't come across as a stupid question, but as I am an American now living in Europe, the red kite is a new bird for me. Now, I had colonies of Mississippi kites living in my neighborhood back in the US, and we knew summer had arrived when they were in the trees.

Oh yes, back to the point. I see a lot of posts about red kites. And where I am here in Germany, I have at least 4 pairs living within a few km of my apartment. And we have black kites too. So I was wondering if they are particularly rare and I'm lucky to see them, or are they simply a rarity in Great Britain, or is it just a general fascination with them.

Ted

they are pretty common in germany i think, much scarcer in britain but not really rare.
However they used to be a lot rarer away from a fairly small part of wales so people are still excited to see them in e.g. england.
cheers,
James

Unfortunately, the figures I have a a little dated, but the European population is between 25,000 - 29,000 which seems quite large until one realises that the species is almost wholly restricted to Europe. So in world terms it's quite a rare bird. Over much of that range the species is in decline with some national populations being numbered in tens rather than hundreds. However, it is increasing in some areas - SwedenHungary & Czech republic, In the 1950s there was only a small population in the UK, but introductions have raised that up to at least 1,193 pairs (2010). Germany has the largest population with 10, 350 - 12,500 pairs (only Spain comes close with 8,800-9000 - 2003), but this figure dates from 1998 and the species is decreasing there. As noted earlier, these figures (apart from the UK one) are rather old so others may have more info, but I hope it gives you the general picture.

I think that I may have inadvertently landed myself in the red kite capital of the universe then. I feel extremely fortunate in that case!

If you every decide to visit Scotland we have had a great re introduction program running for the last few years. Red kites can be seen regularly at Doune, near Stirling and up in the Black Isle near Inverness. One of the satellite-tracked birds had travelled from Inveness (the Black Isle) down to Coventry and back again in one day. If you are lucky they can be seen all over scotland now, just need to keep your eyes open |=)|

Certainly not a rarity in the UK, and visits to certain sites such as the Gigrin Farm Red Kite Feeding Station would guarantee them ? However in some parts they are still relatively scarce, indeed when I was at Titchwell last September there was a small local twitch on to see one! Here Black Kites are much rarer so many people would consider you lucky to have decent populations of both Red and Black Kites. ;)

Yes they are common across Europe but they used to be very difficult to see in the UK until a few were introduced several years back and that programme has really worked well although the birds tend to hang around near release sites with food topped up by locals meaning that where we have them they are now in large clusters but people still get excited to see them in the uk and that's why the reaction often lends itself to a rare find. (And they are great birds to wach too)

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with them being great birds to watch. Out here over the fields they tend to stay at a relatively low altitude and don't seem to be overly shy about being around people. I love watching them hunt in the field behind our apartment; the elsters (those black and white crow/jays) don't seem to love them as much.

The black kites appear more rarely; I've only seen them a couple times in this area, but a little more south towards Dresden. Still, quite a treat.

Black Kite here is a much more difficult bird to catch up with as they drift through on migration but rarely stay anywhere long

i live in derbyshire in the uk and now red kites are seen fairly frequently in derbyshire thou i have never seen any of these recent birds i still remember how fortunate i was when i saw a red kite at lampeter and borth in wales in 1976 so i,m looking forward to seeing a local bird now after 36 years of not seeing one.

I don't know where my kites are. I went out today and tried to find them, and I couldn't find any of them. They have been harvesting the fields lately, so perhaps they are following the tractors to freshly exposed fields? Not a great birding day, though I did see a kestrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back