• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

File size (1 Viewer)

Ian Hardy

Can anyone tell me how i can make my file sizes larger in kb for photos on Bird Forum most of mine come out at around 70kb.

Thanks

Ian

Can anyone tell me how i can make my file sizes larger in kb for photos on Bird Forum most of mine come out at around 70kb.

Thanks

Ian

In most software and Photoshop when you select save as you get a option box where you can use a slider to increase the amount of kb you want in the image

Some of mine are as small as 20 - 30 Kb but are still perfectly good 800 x 600 size images, my last upload was only 35KB (attached), why do you need them larger? Or are you mixing this with image size?

Attachments

• common-tern-1-bf.jpg
    common-tern-1-bf.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 88
It all depends on how much detail you have in the shot too.
Steve`s shot above has a plain blue background and that is the reason it is such a small size.If it was a bird in a bush,hence a very detailed background,it would be much bigger in terms of kb.
As has been said adjust the quality slider in Photoshop after resizing until you get to just below the upload limit.This way you will get the most out of the shots you upload in terms of quality.

But why would you want to make them larger? Or do you really mean that you want to make them larger in pixel width and height? If so, when you downsize them with resize/resample, specify the actual pixel width or eight you want. For example 600 width and let the software pick the height, maintaining the aspect ratio of the original.

Otherwise, I cannot image why you would want to make them larger in KB, unless you are getting too many jpg artifacts from too much compression, but then isn't the question "how do I get better quality jpg images?" than "how do I make them larger in kb"

Mike I tend to agree and maybe it wasn't fair to use a photo with a plain background so here's another 800x600 image which is only 48Kb in size, again more than adequate for a website, there's no reason to post images that are up to the permitted size when something a fraction of the size is acceptable.

Attachments

• meadow-pipit-filesize.jpg
    meadow-pipit-filesize.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 81
I agree Steve.As you have shown here low filesize shots are perfectly acceptable for web use.My point was that to get the maximum quality out of a downsized for web shot it is best to keep as close to the upload limit as possible.This is the only reason I can think of why the original poster would want to increase the filesize.The two shots attached show the difference (i hope) between a shot saved at maximum quality (249 kb) and one at minimum (40 kb).I suppose it also comes down to your connection speed.

Attachments

• redstart high.jpg
    redstart high.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 85
  • redstart low.jpg
    redstart low.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back