• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (3 Viewers)

Hmmm... things look like even more of a three ring circus in this thread than usual today... ;)

If "Lolagal" is legitimate, then my suggestion is that she stop wasting time here in the eternal thread at Birdforum, and contact her local Kentucky listserve. E-mail addresses for members of that listserve can be found in the link below:

http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/KNTY.html

Even in a rural location in west Kentucky, there are undoubtedly multiple birders within 30 to 60 minutes of her house, who have binoculars, cameras and birding experience, and would likely be keenly interested. Indeed, she could likely have company for coffee before the weekend if she so desired. With an IBWO that likes to hang out with bluebirds in her garden for up to three hours at a time, and indeed the multiple IBWOs in her neighborhood, photographic confirmation for all of us can be expected by June.

Without such a confirmation, this latest twist is... (nothing personal, Lolagal) quite meaningless, of course.

Good luck! :t:

LolaGal, what have you done up to this point? I'm sure everyone here is anxious to hear who you've contacted. If you've actually spotted an Ivory-Billed it is exciting and serious, I hope you take it as such!

LolaGal, what have you done up to this point? I'm sure everyone here is anxious to hear who you've contacted. If you've actually spotted an Ivory-Billed it is exciting and serious, I hope you take it as such!

Well so far I have put up a nesting box. I think Mr. I.B. was looking for a nest box. Frankly, I did not want to put my bird off until I at least got a photo and it sounds like swarms of ornothologists tramping loudly through the woods might dissuade nesting behavior. Today I found a red bellied nest in a dead locust tree going to the mailbox. I have spent most of the morning trying to determine the breed, what fun!

LolaGal

Last edited:
I think it's going to be hard for anyone here to believe you if you're not taking this seriously enough to contact the Cornell team or at least some local people to try and ID the bird.

Like I've said, I certainly hope you're right but the quicker you take action the better chance the bird will still be in the area when a picture or ID opportunity presents itself.

Ah. Well. So...

To sum up here, you have what is currently likely the most sought after bird in the world as a regular yard bird. But you haven't a camera. Don't want no ornithologists tramping around and disturbing your birds.

And you do have a most... extraordinary knack... for seeing species of woodpeckers that shouldn't be within many hundreds of miles of your location: Golden-fronted (southwestern), Ladder-backed (southwestern) and Red-cockaded (endangered and well to your south).

My, my. I guess that does take care of that... ;)

Lolagal if you do not mind me asking ,what is your nationality,were you born in america or elsewhere?
This has nothing to do with the topic just curious.

Well so far I have put up a nesting box. I think Mr. I.B. was looking for a nest box. Frankly, I did not want to put my bird off until I at least got a photo and it sounds like swarms of ornothologists tramping loudly through the woods might dissuade nesting behavior. Today I found a red bellied nest in a dead locust tree going to the mailbox. I have spent most of the morning trying to determine the breed, what fun!

LolaGal

I realize, from your previous posts, that funds are low but if the IBWO is that visible to you on a frequent basis, then even a disposable camera, which can be had rather cheaply, should be able to get a capture of the bird. No?

Million Dollars

I realize, from your previous posts, that funds are low but if the IBWO is that visible to you on a frequent basis, then even a disposable camera, which can be had rather cheaply, should be able to get a capture of the bird. No?

And furthermore, if funds are low, a million dollars for a good photograph would come in handy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have funds nor am I willing to accept them for film and developing. I guess everyone was right probably was just a piece of a weather balloon. LOL.

Thanks for all the help.

LolaGal

p.s. to the post asking I am american.

Are you, like emupilot, just trying to irritate Lolagal? She said she's already seen National geographic images of IBWO and it's not a Pileated and she's sure it's an IBWO. Your questions imply she doesn't know the difference. Are you a doubting skeptic or something?

In her original posting Lolagal asked if someone to send her a camera or camcorder so she could confirm the bird. If someone is feeling charitable maybe they could send her one so we can resolve this. Oh, and I could use a camcorder too. :)

John,

No, I was not trying to upset LolaGal. I was actually trying to help her document her bird. The questions I asked were not because I doubted what she claimed to have seen, but rather to guide her in writing up 'field notes' that would be accepted by a records committee as Jane has suggested many times here on this thread.

I posted the pix because she said that the IBWO was not pictured in any birdbook that she has. I thought that she would enjoy seeing them. A dead museum bird does not look like the real thing as in the colorized Allen photo. I do hope she DOES use the guideline questions that I have posted in writing up her field notes the next time she sees the bird. I was not asking these questions because I doubted her sighting. She should NOT be offended by someone who is really trying to help her, now should she?

Last edited:
LolaGal - I don't want to sound cruel. But - if you are disabled how do you manage to put up nest boxes?

Gordon

Most have been up for years.

I also have friends, you call them up and they will do you a favor sometimes. I never said I was a quadraplegic in a wheelchair.

I'm still curious as to how LolaGal has seen Golden-fronted and Ladder-backed woodies, neither of which have been previously recorded in Kentucky, and Red-cockaded, which is officially listed as extirpated.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back