• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Watching Scotland/Dreaded midge solution? (1 Viewer)

gradders52

Not strictly a bird question, but when birding in wilds of NW Scotland the midges eat me to death, regardless of what I try. Nets. repellants... tried the lot. Hopeless.

Anyone found any good solutions THAT WORK?

Thanks
g
(thread stimulated by Black Throated Diver query on Bird ID)

Not strictly a bird question, but when birding in wilds of NW Scotland the midges eat me to death, regardless of what I try. Nets. repellants... tried the lot. Hopeless.

Anyone found any good solutions THAT WORK?

Thanks
g
(thread stimulated by Black Throated Diver query on Bird ID)

The only solution that has ever worked for me is to visit in May, before the midges emerge, and then stay away until they are over. Probably not the answer you are looking for, but it works. ;)

The only solution that has ever worked for me is to visit in May, before the midges emerge, and then stay away until they are over.

And if you can't manage that, hope that it is windy, or sunny (although the latter is no use once the light starts to fade in the evening).

Yep, this year we were camping up there from May 9 to June 6 (Loch Lomondside, Argyll, Colonsay, Benbecula/Uists, Skye, Black Isle, Speyside) and had no trouble at all. The constant NNW wind may have had a little to do with it, mind.
Jungle Formula does seem to help a bit.

Thanks guys... all known.
Early in the year, wind etc
Jungle Juice (not great)
Invested in Avon product ('Skin so Soft' from Avon, difficult obtaining... I don't 'do' Avon) but not yet tried in Scotland. Early trials locally (Ing er land) looks encouraging ... but not thoroughly tested (windy here too).
Any further 'tips' appreciated.
THANKS
g

I've found Avon Skin So Soft to be most effective if you apply a second coat within half an hour of the first one. Don't know why but it also seems to be effective against the cleggs as well then. Otherwise keep moving so they can't 'lock on' to your CO2 trail. I also always wear a hat.

Dave

What you need is Skin so Soft from Avon,works a treat.

Yes Geoff. I'm told this is used by Forestry Commission workers in Scotland. Avon were not able to market it as an insect repellent but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned as such in an advert. It's the 'original' scent that's needed. Green & white bottle.

Sandra

Invested in Avon product ('Skin so Soft' from Avon, difficult obtaining... I don't 'do' Avon) but not yet tried in Scotland. Early trials locally (Ing er land) looks encouraging ... but not thoroughly tested (windy here too).
Any further 'tips' appreciated.
THANKS
g[/QUOTE]

If you want me to buy some from my Avon lady and send it I'm happy to do so if you PM me.

Sandra

If you want me to buy some from my Avon lady and send it I'm happy to do so if you PM me.

Sandra[/QUOTE]

THANKS,
my lady friend recommended it (supplied a trial bottle recently) and I have what I thought was the blue bottle, but double checking it is 'greenish'. Not sure how you order 'the greenish bottle'.

Also heard Avon couldn't sell as 'insect repellant' but guess it is gonna be a case of going out there and trying it.

Surprised it is more readily 'acknowledged/promoted', even if it is through forums/web sites etc etc. Let you know how the trials go... if I survive!

Thanks
g

PS if there is an Avon 'reference' would be pleased to know.
THANKS again
g

Skin so Soft does not work for a major midge area. The only thing that works for midges (and horseflies) is a midge jacket, which covers the entire head and torso. You can use binoculars through the face mesh. It is the only way! ;)

Cheers G

Can't believe I'm about to ask this question, but since I'm off to Ullapool on Saturday I feel like I've no choice.

Is there any particular type of "Skin so soft" I should buy? When I look on the Avon site, there is quite a variety. Do I need "Skin So Soft Mineral Gems Glamourous Gold Body Lotion"? or perhaps "Skin So Soft Soft and Sensual Ultra Serum with Silkening Pearls"? or maybe something else?

I need help fast. I've no experience of ordering Skin so Soft. Which one is it?

This thread reads like a wind-up on a grand scale! Skin So Soft from Avon, the best insect repellent money can buy??? Yeah, right. Thing is though, since I always get bitten to hell whenever I go out looking for local Nightjars, I might have to try it too...

Last edited:
Again, Skin so Soft will be good if you want the midges to stick to you, and find the areas you haven't covered, to bite. Expensive, doesn't work and made by Avon. You need a midge jacket to bird/survey in North and West Scotland. I found this out after years suffering ! It helps with vicious horseflies and dangerous ticks aswell.

Cheers G

I used to work for Tiso the outdoor shop, and when i left a few years ago they had just managed to start stocking it as a repellent. Flew off the shelves and worked for most if I remember rightly. I'd imagine they still stock it, might be worth checking the website.

PS it smells nicer than other repellents too! And makes your skin soft...

Last edited:
Is there any particular type of "Skin so soft" I should buy? When I look on the Avon site, there is quite a variety. Do I need "Skin So Soft Mineral Gems Glamourous Gold Body Lotion"? or perhaps "Skin So Soft Soft and Sensual Ultra Serum with Silkening Pearls"? or maybe something else?

Colin - there's a lotion/dry oil spray or a stick. And none are expensive! The dry oil body spray on special offer on-line at 2 for £4. Don't know where the other poster has been looking to think it's expensive. 'Original Dry Oil Body Spray' Try this: http://avonshop.co.uk/beauty/c/bath-and-bodycare.html

Sandra

THANKS for response.
Tried a head net, but arms and neck (and elsewhere!) get bit. Full body net/jacket net needed. Any suggestions where they can be obtained?
The Skin so Soft is genuine, and known to work/sell... BUT you do have to get the right one. (Don't know which myself... 'green bottle spray').
ONLY I have yet to test in the field.
Carrying a number of bites and stings already and that's south of the border!
Thanks
g

The Skin so Soft is genuine, and known to work/sell... BUT you do have to get the right one. (Don't know which myself... 'green bottle spray').
ONLY I have yet to test in the field.
Carrying a number of bites and stings already and that's south of the border!
Thanks
g[/QUOTE]

See post #17

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back