• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds are singing in your garden this week? (1 Viewer)

joannec

Europe
I know it's early but which birds are singing in your gardens? I have singing robins and great tits and at least one other that I can't identify, may be a dunnock.
Joanne

Winter singers

joannechattaway said:
I know it's early but which birds are singing in your gardens? I have singing robins and great tits and at least one other that I can't identify, may be a dunnock.
Joanne

Over here in the Northeast U.S., we're in winter's grip; but I've been hearing the Tufted Titmice and a Carolina Wren singing as if it were spring!

joannechattaway said:
Joanne

Dunnocks are starting up in the place where I walk everyday. When they get going each one is like a momentary little snatch of skylark.

When I go out about 1-2 hrs before sunrise, there are currently 5 robins singing close to street lamps in the first 200 yards of my walk - after that I'm away from buildings and into fields with some willow and thorn scrub. Out there all is quiet until the crows start their "crowing" about an hour before sunrise, followed a little later by the blackbirds - either pinking or their alarm clatter, and the first robin song. About the same time magpies start chattering quietly, and wrens start their clicking. Nothing else really sings until full daylight. Last weekend during the daytime there was a considerable amount of song from great tits, and some from blue tits. Nuthatches have been very noisy too - but I'm not sure how much of that counts as song and how much as contact/alarm calls.

Nothing seems to be really singing yet - lots of chatter from the starlings, a cacophany of screeching from the gulls, chirping and tweeting from the finches and tits, annoying cooing from the collar doves and wood pigeons, lots of alarming from the blackbirds, a few croaks from the jays and crows and about 2 or 3 bars of tune from the robin with the occassional ringing call from the wren.

But 'singing'? Hmm... Roll on Spring, roll on the Dawn Chorus!

Joanna - Ive just noticed you're from Sussex too - maybe your garden is warmer than mine! ;)

Last edited:
When I first posted this I did refer to SINGING, not chirping and alarm calls. Sorry for any confusion. Our blackbirds are doing plenty of alarm calls as are wrens, finches, rooks and lots of others. Also today I notice collared doves cooing. I don't think it's annoying, it sounds to me that are really contented, Deborah. (I think Chichester must be warmer than here between Uckfield and Lewes) Each day that passes, I hear more from the robins and great tits, robins almost non stop. Kttrush. I think your titmice may be similar to our tits and maybe get going early.
Joanne

Mit thrush in full song on the first Jan in Gloucestershire. They genrally sing quite early anyway otherwise I think all the birds have given up in Scotland because of the duff weather. A spring chorus seems a long way off at the moment.

joannechattaway said:
When I first posted this I did refer to SINGING, not chirping and alarm calls. Sorry for any confusion.

Joanne

Hope I made the distinction clear in my post!

Ahh the cooing - well it depends on whether its most of the day on the ledge of your bedroom window when you're trying to sleep off a waking night shift :flyaway: ;)

no garden, but locally singing this week (even during the gloomy conditions): Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest, Coal, Blue and Great Tit, Treecreeper and Goldfinch.

Had a male Blackbird singing full throttle on 1st Jan, there has also been several others reported singing elsewhere around the same time.

joannechattaway said:
When I first posted this I did refer to SINGING, not chirping and alarm calls. Sorry for any confusion.

Sorry for any confusion too - I mentioned the early morning sounds with the intention that it would be clear that some of these were not courtship/territory song, and relied on the use of the words "singing" and "song" to indicate courtship/territory singing. I hoped it was clear that only robins were "singing" before dawn and that others - tits etc were "singing" later in full daylight.

Robin singing in the garden at work. I've also heard Mistle Thrush in the local park and this morning a Song Thrush was singing while I was waiting at the bus stop.

Gi

Song Thrush has been going at it full throttle every morning this week from about 7am.Also has Great Tit and Dunnock and Robin.
There's a Blackbird singing at the moment.
Had a Cetti's singing (if you can call it that) at Upton Fen on the 2nd and out walking yesterday a Greenfinch was doing his best,but sounded a bit rusty.

Glenn

Anna's Humminbirds are doing their mating display right now. They're my winter resident and will breed very soon. They're also very vocal (the males) but seem to be year round. It's been a rainy month in Northern California so many species of waterfowl - including tundra swans are flying constantly over my home and calling. There's so much flooded habitat that flocks seem always stirred up and on the move.

The American Robins and House Finches are all singing, which just sounds so weird when the temps are well below freezing in the morning. Occasionally, the Mountain Chickadee will break into its lovely warbling song, as does the Townsend's Solitaire, but it's mostly the robin's and finch's songs accompanying the scarfing hordes at the feeders. ;)

So far I have heard Blackbird, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Robin, Dunnock, wren and Song Thrushes singing, plenty of others calling and making alarm sounds though, such as rooks, jackdaws, starlings, etc

Well, it's a month since this thread was started so there must be alot more species singing now. Blue tits, black birds and song thrushes are added to my garden list of current singers. Pied wagtails are pairing up I notice but haven't heard them singing yet. Anyone got any more?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back