• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Bats for ID (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
All help greatly received.

1. 4587 These were in an old termite nest c3m from the ground near Braulio Carillo.
2. 4591 A tent making species near Braulio Carillo
3. 5526 A single animal in a derelict builing at El Tapir.

Cheers, A

Attachments

• DSC_4587.jpg
    DSC_4587.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_4591.jpg
    DSC_4591.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_5526.jpg
    DSC_5526.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 103
Hello Andy,

Nice finds:

1. 4587 These are from the genus Lophostoma spp. - they look like Lophostoma silvicolum rather than the smaller Lophosotmas brasiliense amazing bats that create the cavity in the termites nest by using their front incisors which have an amazingly powerful bite force.
2. 4591 The genus is Artibeus and one of the smaller species so likely to be Artibeus toltecus or watsoni
3. 5526 looks like Carollia spp. a few possible species but likely to be Carollia perspicillata

Sorry I cant be 100% sure of the ID as a few of the species need measurements or dentition to split the species but some really great bats!

Happy batting,
Daniel ^8^

We get these large gray bats in Washington State, nearby the Green River. I thought that bats were either fruit or vampire. When seen the pictures automatically thought fruit bat! So are these large gray bats considered a fruit bat or could it be one of different species out there?

Thanks Dan,
I got this from a Bat expert in Costa Rica

The 4591 is Artibes jamaicensis,
5526: Glossophaga sp (it is hard to identify by species with a picture)
5526: Tonatia saurophila.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back