• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bausch and lomb premier hdr spotting scope (1 Viewer)

STARGAZER12

hello
i have just purchased a bausch and lomb premier hdr 60mm spotting scope body.without eyepiece. having trouble sourcing an eyepiece to fit. it is a bayonet type. are there any other makes of eyepieces compatable. help needed

A bit late for a response, but.....I just bought one of these scope bodies. Was a "screaming" deal, probably because eyepieces are rare?

I found an eyepiece that threaded onto a 35mm male thread (fits the smaller external thread of the Opticron GS665 scope), but not the 41.5mm external thread on the HDR (and the larger external thread on the GS665). It's similar to this one, but the x20 version.
[URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-32x-fixed-eyepiece-for-Opticron-GS665-GS815-spotting-scope-Multi-coated-/161095208266?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item258205cd4a"/URL]

I looked for a camera filter adapter of the right size (35mm to 41.5mm) but didn't find one. I used a 28mm to 42mm adapter, glueing the 28mm side to the threaded collar on the eyepiece. The 42mm thread fits well enough onto the body. Looks quite neat and didn't cost too much.
BTW the performance of the eyepiece and HDR body surprised me. It compares very well to my Opticron GS665 GA ED with the fixed or zoom SDL eyepiece (at min zoom).
Incidentally, the Opticron SDL zoom has the larger external thread fitting that fits the B&L HDR body (but may be overkill?).

Dave

Last edited:
I see Uttings online have sold a few for £50ish. Excellent deal. Opticswarehouse seem to have some old stock of these for more sensible but still pretty decent prices.

Is it possible the B&L has the same fittings as the Kowa TSN-1/2/3/4 since that has the thread which accepts the Opticron SDL zoom and it seems Cleyspy has been selling a used B&L for some time with the old Kowa 20-40x zoom :
http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/ex-demo-bausch-lomb-60mm-i4760.html

Just to add to this belatedly. I have just purchased one from from Uttings on ebay for the crazy price of £32. I have two Kowa eyepieces (20x and 20-60x zoom) and both fit perfectly without any adaptor - the B&L bayonet is identical, and tthe resulting performance is excellent. A real bargain!

If you are thinking of picking one up, any Kowa TS or TSN eyepiece should fit apart from those for the old TSN820 series and the current TSN770/880 series.

Patch

Just purchased one of these brand new on E Bay. Super little scope. Does anybody know of a stay on case that fits the angled version?

Guys I would like to humbly apologize for resurrecting this old thread and also not being courteous enough to go over to the introduction thread but I am desperate for your help concerning eyepieces for the B&L scope discussed here.

I have been reading this thread back to front at least twice a day since a week ago trying to get the last bit of info on how to purchase an eyepiece for Bausch & Lomb HDR body I bought a week ago from Opticswarehouse.

After a tedious search I have managed to find some of the older Kowa eyepieces and know that they could possibly make my scope functional but I'd like to confirm before I purchase one. The eyepieces are advertised on an Intl. site and I do not want to make an mistake so any and all help is very appreciated.

I have had limited communication with the seller but it seems the following two options are available.
Japanese Kowa TS601/2 60 25X
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/japanese-kowa-ts601-2/Accessories/667126

Japanese Kowa TSN 70 25X
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/japanese-kowa-tsn/Accessories/667122

What I like to ask is whether these are the type of eyepieces that look correct for the B&L and whether there will be any difference between the two concerning the image rendered? They both have a number before the magnification, one being 70 (TSN) and the other 60 (TS). Does this in any way affect the choice?
I have read a few threads about Objective diameter affecting the magnification but I am to be honest not the most intellectual person and do not understand them. If there any advantage to be gained from one of the eyepieces over the other please help me by pointing it out.

Once again I apologize for bringing this thread back from hibernation but I would really like to use and enjoy my scope and I am really fearful of making a mistake. If you guys could help me I would be very grateful.

Sincerely
UK

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The old 77mm models (TSN-1/2/3/4) and the 60mm models TSN-601/2 take the same EPs and have the same focal length of 420mm. Since both EPs give 25x on these they're both identical 17mm LER (long eye relief).

Btw. unless you want to use the scope for target shooting, the 30x wide is preferred...

Joachim

We have some Kowa eyepieces for sale on our used equipment list:

Kowa TSN 32x WA (820 series)
Kowa TS 20x WA (600/77mm series)
Kowa TS 27x WA (600/77mm series)

but I need to check which if any will work for you. If you're interested, can you PM us your email address and we can let you know prices and shipping costs to SA for any which will do the job.

Regards, Vernon @ In Focus

Hi,

the one for 820 series won't fit - the others are fine - wide angle is preferable unless you're target shooting.

Joachim

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The old 77mm models (TSN-1/2/3/4) and the 60mm models TSN-601/2 take the same EPs and have the same focal length of 420mm. Since both EPs give 25x on these they're both identical 17mm LER (long eye relief).

Btw. unless you want to use the scope for target shooting, the 30x wide is preferred...

Joachim
Joachim thank you. That is exactly the kind of info I needed.

Me and my mother will be using it for .22 rimfire target shooting but would you recommend I use a smaller magnification because of the shorter distances? It will be mostly 50 to 100 meter shooting.

but I need to check which if any will work for you. If you're interested, can you PM us your email address and we can let you know prices and shipping costs to SA for any which will do the job.

Vernon you are a star, thank you for having a look at this thread.
I will send my email via PM as requested.

Regards
UK

Hi,

I suspect that the B&L 60mm has a focal length of 360mm as a focal ratio of f6 is common for spotters and that would make the originally supplied 15-45x zoom a very common 8-24mm model.

If this speculation is right, the Kowa 25x LER EPs woud give 21x and the Kowa 30x wide would be 25x.

Normally LER is preferred for shooting I think as you don't have to get so close to the EP to get a good view.

I can't comment on what magnification is needed for your shooting, the last time I did touch a gun was 25 years ago in the army...

Joachim

Vernon did you receive my PM?
UK

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back